New car: estate car

Associate
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new car. So far it's between the Focus Estate and Octavia Estate. Both look really good and have tons of space. Can any owners give me their thoughts.

Soldato
320d? Similar space but nicer inside and not massively more expensive and on 2 year servicing. Passat estate or superb are bigger capacity and also relatively nice but a bit bland inside but comparable?

Or for BIK Fabia estates are actually pretty practical tbf get a monte carlo trim for red bits on the seats.

Soldato
I have the new Passat R-Line estate - its massive, good to drive, looks good with the 19inch wheels and has loads of kit.

I also haven’t seen another yet and I’ve had it since Oct last year.

It ain’t cheap though compared to a Skoda which is a very similar car mechanically

Man of Honour
320d? Similar space but nicer inside and not massively more expensive
Depends on whether he's after passenger space or boot space, Octavia has a bigger boot and you'd have to cut a lot of corners on spec with the BMW to keep the price close. Even the vRS is under £28k brand new via a broker.

@The1nonly1 , are you looking for brand new or second hand? Do you need a big boot? What other criteria do you have, is your preference for performance, comfort/interior, gadgets etc?

Associate
OP
Depends on whether he's after passenger space or boot space, Octavia has a bigger boot and you'd have to cut a lot of corners on spec with the BMW to keep the price close. Even the vRS is under £28k brand new via a broker.

@The1nonly1 , are you looking for brand new or second hand? Do you need a big boot? What other criteria do you have, is your preference for performance, comfort/interior, gadgets etc?

My budget is around 25k, PCP and part ex my current Fiesta 2016. Looking at brand new too as the second hands I've seen are not much cheaper. Performance isn't a big deal and I've always found Fords to be comfortable for me (had a focus before the fiesta). Boot space is a big deal as I have a baby and need space for pram + shopping etc. Gadgets that I like having are bluetooth and cruise control. The Titanium model I have been offered has these for £210 per month with part ex my current car. Is that a good deal? Market price is £24,990.

Optional extras are not a big deal for me. Never had them so wont miss them.

Man of Honour
If you want a big boot then I would definitely favour the Octavia, it has 640L so well over double the Fiesta and a fair bit bigger than Focus Estate. Go through a broker like Drive The Deal (or use as leverage) and SE L trim will come in under budget brand new.

Don
Just a consideration, but do you actually need a full estate? The Octavia hatch has a massive boot and it's more than big enough for pushchairs and suitcases (I know, I've owned two and have two young kids :D). It might open a few more options, that's all :)

But between the Focus and the Octavia, I picked the Octavia.

Associate
Just to second how massive the Octavia boot is in hatch configuration. I would still go for the estate I think because why not, but something to keep in mind if you prefer a 'saloon' type vehicle.

Just had a look on their brochure and it's 600L vs. 640L with seats up for the saloon and estate respectively.

Edit: The same figures for the Superb are 625L and 660L, so an additional 20-25L.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a consideration, but do you actually need a full estate? The Octavia hatch has a massive boot and it's more than big enough for pushchairs and suitcases (I know, I've owned two and have two young kids :D). It might open a few more options, that's all :)

But between the Focus and the Octavia, I picked the Octavia.

Just to second how massive the Octavia boot is in hatch configuration. I would still go for the estate I think because why not, but something to keep in mind if you prefer a 'saloon' type vehicle.

Just had a look on their brochure and it's 600L vs. 640L with seats up for the saloon and estate respectively.

This is because they're the same 'floorplan', the Octavia hatch is the same length as the estate, all the estate really gains is the height of the boot further to the rear. This does give slightly misleading litre values because I don't think estates get measured above the load liner, which is where most of the extra room is in the estate.

Associate
OP
Thinking about it, I may not need an estate car and a Hatchback Focus may be big enough for a pushchair and shopping. However I have only owned Fords so don't want to move away from them.

Soldato
You can still get new Focus estates ?
was wondering what hybrid options are available, if, for nothing other than the CO2 & reduced congestion charges, but, none are planned as the estate is eol , as ford go SUVcentric
- moreover volvo and the v60 estate are sharing some of the ford engines, a well appointed alternative ?, their comfortable seats are on my bucket list.

Personally prefer the better visibility and light in an estate (3 series user) than more claustrophobric hatches, even though hatches can often give easier access for encumbrant loads like bicycles.

Soldato
I have the new focus estate (2020) drives like a much more expensive car... and feels well built and solid . i have the 1.5 eco titanium x diesel and goes "ok" (company car) . seems "ok" on fuel not that im paying the bill and the 6k miles i have put on it have been trouble free

Soldato
Thinking about it, I may not need an estate car and a Hatchback Focus may be big enough for a pushchair and shopping. However I have only owned Fords so don't want to move away from them.

For me it's the opposite I'd rather the Skoda than the Focus, which is exactly why I'm now driving round in an Octavia VRS estate and not the Focus ST estate. The Skoda's are arguably better built and certainly have the better interior, especially in the new mark 4 models. Our engineers had a fleet of the new shape Focus estates and they had to go back before the lease was up due to the amount of issues they were experiencing with them, very unreliable. They are now driving around in Seat Leon estates.

Soldato
was wondering what hybrid options are available
Can you get a 2020 octavia plugin hybrid within budget.

the skoda's are volkswagens argument, does have some caveats - multi-link rear suspension, google says that cuts in on Vrs, although, I had seen similar criticism on fiestas at start of the range, that helps on comfort/passive-safety, especially a loaded estate.
Ford automatic gear-box too, with a torque-convertor would be my choice over Octavia/vag DSG.

Back
Top Bottom