• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Your favorite graphics card?

Soldato
I have a soft spot for my old Diamond Stealth TNTcard it was the first graphics card I ever modded by adding a 40mm fan to the passive heatsink. I think it was also the first card I did any bios modding on. It was also a very noticeable upgrade from the 3DFX OR card that preceded it, and it the card that really made me realise this 3D gaming lark was going to be a proper thing.

Associate
GeForce FX 5700LE. I water cooled it and it overclocked like crazy. I was pretty bummed when it died because the heat block came loose. Those were some good Counter Strike days.

Associate
P2-450 with 2 voodoo 2 creative cards scan lined with quake 2 and unreal blew me away. later on the ati 9700pro was just awesome. and after that the X1900-XTX was also a great card, just sounded like a vacuum cleaner lol

Soldato
My first Nvidia TNT to replace the original voodoo card. Performance bump also quality improvement and acceleration in a window!

The 9800 Pro was another high point. But actually my favourite of all time probably the 3060Ti FE, good price, fantastic build quality.

Associate
Voodoo 2 - playing Quake 2 in software mode at 20fps with a modem vs Voodoo 2 where I couldn't miss a shot (or it helped) :) the all or nothing VGA pass through way it worked.
Gigabyte 670 - it was my GPU between 2012-2019 for L4D2 mostly
MSI 1070 - second hand upgrade, oh so this is what I've been missing.
3070 FE - it's the fastest card I've owned :) I would like a better AIB cooler when stock allows.

Soldato
Matrox G400MAX

then 9800 Pro

then 4870

then 980ti

now 3090 just a beast of a card that works really well and will last me a good few years for gaming and for work. (have two in sli but even one on it's own is just a huge jump from previous card I had the 980Ti).

Caporegime
Same here - I had a Packard Bell in 1999 as my first PC with an ATI Rage Pro, but soon added a Voodoo 3 2000, what a difference - got properly into Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament at the time.

Packard Bell Pulsar by any chance? That was my first proper pc around 98 i think with a mighty slot 1 celeron 333 and 64megs of ram! They started using an integrated voodoo 3 chipset around late 98 i think to replace the rage pro crap.

V0H1ykh.jpg

Associate
My Radeon HD7850 was by far and away the best card I ever bought.

Was it the fastest? Nope.

Was it the quietest? Nope (coil whiiiiine)

But for price to performance, it slays every other GPU I've ever bought, and probably ever will.

Mine would have to be the Voodoo (1) card. Before that games were blocky, after came smooth looks and better fps. The next card I can recall giving me a massive leap was my current 2080TI. 4k looks amazing and is buttery smooth. There might have been others but I don't recall. Been doing this too long now. I just realised it's 30 years this year since I built my first PC.

Soldato
Good to see love for the old TNT2. That was my first gfx upgrade that didn’t involve replacing the whole PC. Lasted me years too. Still have it somewhere.

Gainward 7800GS. I think this was really a 7800GT. Allowed me to eek out my AGP platform a little longer. Still have it too.

HIS 7990. My first and only dual GPU graphics card. I thought this card was awesome, had it for years and still sold it for what I paid originally somehow.

Titan XP Star Wars Galactic Empire. Love this card for obvious reasons and still going strong. Will see me through these turbulent times with graphics card availability, or lack of.

Back
Top Bottom