RWD owners - do you still drive in the snow?

Soldato
I did in my e92 m3. I had a run of 4 days where it slid and none of those were me trying to do it. The irony is that I didn't bother with winter tyres this year as I'd put them on for the last 2 and thought they were unnecessary. This is humberside and we had a few inches of snow.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
RWD on summer tyres in the snow (Z3 Coupe): not ideal but not impossible. 3.0 M54 up front with a manual gearbox made life easier as you had to torque to change up early. Not ideal though obviously.

RWD on winters (E60 525d auto) and was overtaking snow ploughs on the motorway.

As stated above, it’s the winter tyres that allow you to drive safely in the snow, not the 4WD. The very best 4 seasons will probably be good enough but get a winter set if you’re concerned and have the space to store them.

Soldato
I would say 4wd should reduce the chance of the car loosing grip at the rear (as some power will be getting sent to the front and should reduce how much goes to the rear).

Associate
E46 here. I did the other week. Got all the way to work with no problems (albeit with some shaky-bum moments).
Then got to my parking place and got stuck in the snow. We had to push the car into the spot :)

Rest of the week I used the Toledo :D

Soldato
Tyres make all the difference and it’s not out of place to have a set of winters sitting in the garage. Wasn’t always the case.

The weather can be a little more unpredictable here. In the past there were times I’d driven to work on a nice day, only to get several inches of snow before I’d finished at 5pm. I vividly remember the times of my M cars being stuck at work, stuck in between home and work and unable to move off my drive for 2 weeks or so.

I generally prefer 4wd cars and have had several over the years, I’ve certainly never been stuck again since. I have more options these days; wife’s car (4wd) and not necessarily having to go into the office (wfh). So I’ve been open to RWD again recently (Cayman), but I’ll always have a 4wd car in the mix just in case.

Soldato
I don't drive my rwd on the one or two days per year, if that, when we get snow. I once slid and slowly pirouetted trying to get from untreated side streets to the main but luckily came to rest by the kerb having hit nothing.

Soldato
It would have to be a really unavoidable journey. I admit to not being a member of the driving gods club and no amount of defensive driving is going to compensate when someone else can't drive to the conditions. This would be rare for me though: round here doesn't usually get snow and ice for very long, the roads are gritted once we're off our housing estate and there's enough traffic to keep roads clear. I think it was the beast from the east a few years back where we just didn't go out.

Soldato
OP
Yeah this year we did get a few days of snow and my estate where I live is notorious for this stupid incline we have on my street.
If i find a 3 Series I want to purchase I don't think now the xdrive is a value option and might as well spend the money on a set of 2nd hand rims with a very good pair of winter tyres.
Even with the money saved I might get a portable scissor lift and do it in one go rather jacking up the sides. haha

Soldato
In my s2000 when driving in snow, the problem is almost always trying to move from stationary on a slope. The steeper the gradient, the worse it is. Outside of that it's manageable on main roads. Wouldn't go near steeper hills without winter tyres.

Caporegime
I did a couple of weeks ago, in the south-east.

RWD E Class estate (auto) on 20" wheels with summer tyres.

The main roads were fine, I just had to avoid any smaller roads.

AWD doesn't necessarily give you much better traction in the snow anyway, tyres are more important.

This. In Scandinavian countries they would rather drive with 2 wheel drive cars on snow tyres than 4x4 not on snow tyres.

Associate
I don't anymore because if it snows I have an FWD car with Conti WinterContact TS860P fitted so there is absolutely no need, so in the event of any snow my 5 Series stays in the garage.

However I have driven RWD cars in the snow and they are absolutely fine if fitted with the correct tyres. I don't see the value of XDrive in this country. If you have summer RFT's on it then you can spin 4 wheels instead of 4 and it still isn't going to stop you sliding into a wall.

I once drove an RWD 3 Series around Switzerland without issue - but it had winter tyres.

I don't think I'd want all season tyres on a 3 Series though, the compromise when it isn't snowy over proper UHP tyres seems too great. All the All Season tyres appear to be alternatives to mid range tyres.

I have Michelin Crossclimate+ fitted on my three series. More than enough grip in the dry for use on the public roads, IMHO. They work superbly in the snow as well. No issues to report with them.

I would not class myself as a "gentle" driver either. I like to make good progress. My other RWD car stays in the garage when it snows, as A048s are really no use in the snow. There is no poi t even trying....

Soldato
I drove from Howden to Newcastle in my F11 on summer tyres quite a few times in the last 4 weeks and a couple of those days were very white. It was more than capable if you took it steady and kept a close eye on what was happening up ahead.

To be fair though it was all motorway driving which isn't the best example. I'd be more concerned with where you will be driving than what.

Back
Top Bottom