** Diablo 2 Resurrected Thread **

Don
£35 for a remaster is mental.
Not really when "full-price" games are £50 or more, with PS5/SeriesX releases at £70. Development costs money - yes it probably doesn't take as much development as writing a game from scratch, but there is still a huge number of people employed who sadly don't work for free.

The alternative is that it would be a free or low cost release, but would then need to be monetised via microtransactions.

Especially as almost the entire world has played it to death and its ancient now.
It may be ancient, but aside from the graphics it's a lot better than most of the more modern alternatives - it nailed the "just one more go" mentality better than e.g. Diablo 3.

A graphics overhaul will also introduce it to a whole era of younger players, many of which may have been put off by it's old pixelated graphics on current spec machines.

Permabanned
Cant remember the last time I paid £50+ for a game, even AAA titles. 30-45 ish is about the going rate for top new games, not rebuilt old ones.

There are already free to play alternatives which anyone interested in the genre have probably played. Path of Exile for one is huge and very good.

Anyway, I expect it will sell some but not worth £35 "imo". :)

Soldato
OP
Personally, I don't mind the cost as I know I'll easily get my money's worth out of it (which is just the same logic I apply to every game). The fact they're giving the game mod support also makes it an even easier choice for me, and likely others too as modding communities are massive, and I'm hoping it'll allow overhauls like Path of Diablo to flourish, which still gets 5k~ players online on each ladder reset and is quite astounding for what is essentially a mod of a 21~ year old game.

Not really, it's like saying you shouldn't have to pay for a 4k Blu-ray, because you bought a VHS version of the same film 20 years ago

That's a really good way to put it :)

Associate
Should be closer to £20 IMHO, ala CNC remastered. Interested in it as I've not really played D2, I've played D3 and TBH I thought Grim Dawn was a better game, but I do like the genre as a whole.

Associate
I'm so conflicted on this now, I had a blast on D2 last night just for nostalgias sake but ended up playing a few hours instead. I want to continue, but kind of want to wait for this now, but then the price is a little high IMO.

Starting to sway towards buying it If there's any cheap keys that pop up, if not I'll be cautious and wait a few days for some proper feedback.

On another note, I went through the whole of act 1, somehow missing the Blood Raven, the tower in the marshes and pretty much all of the waypoints along the way. I always had it in my head that the paths were blocked unless you cleared them first, funny how you always find out new things like that. I'm now under levelled in Act 2 with pretty much only the camp available in Act 1 to go back to :D

Soldato
I bought the Prime Evil collection that includes D3. I started playing the free version of D3 last week so when this came up I thought sod it, may as well buy both together.

I'm hoping for the original Diablo remake. I grew up abroad, my best mate and I spent lot of our free time translating it for our mates. He'd bring a floppy disk to school with text that he extracted from game files and I'd give him one back with translated text. :) Don't think we ever fully translated it but got most of the main story done.

Soldato
OP
I bought the Prime Evil collection that includes D3. I started playing the free version of D3 last week so when this came up I thought sod it, may as well buy both together.

I'm hoping for the original Diablo remake. I grew up abroad, my best mate and I spent lot of our free time translating it for our mates. He'd bring a floppy disk to school with text that he extracted from game files and I'd give him one back with translated text. :) Don't think we ever fully translated it but got most of the main story done.

That Prime Evil collection is a pretty good deal, especially if you've not played much/any Diablo 3 yet - should get plenty of play out of it! There's a good 4 to 6 weeks of Season 22 left also, so you could always check that out too when you've done the story. Diablo 1 remaster would be awesome, to be honest if they finish D2R I could imagine they could knock out a D1 remake pretty quickly, but unfortunately I doubt they would :(

Soldato
That Prime Evil collection is a pretty good deal, especially if you've not played much/any Diablo 3 yet - should get plenty of play out of it! There's a good 4 to 6 weeks of Season 22 left also, so you could always check that out too when you've done the story. Diablo 1 remaster would be awesome, to be honest if they finish D2R I could imagine they could knock out a D1 remake pretty quickly, but unfortunately I doubt they would :(

I was only up to about level 15, not even finished the first Act. Deleted that character and started a Season character, not really sure what it means yet :) Think I had a season event in one of the dungeons that dropped some nice loot.

Permabanned
Diablo 1 remaster would be awesome, to be honest if they finish D2R I could imagine they could knock out a D1 remake pretty quickly, but unfortunately I doubt they would :(

Probably not. Picked up D2 as a teenager and online it was all the rage. No one gave a second thought to D1.

Associate
I was only up to about level 15, not even finished the first Act. Deleted that character and started a Season character, not really sure what it means yet :) Think I had a season event in one of the dungeons that dropped some nice loot.

So each season there will be some sort of perk, I can remember one with loot goblins, one where everyone has the effect of the royal ring of grandeur, and one where there are 4 slots in kanais cube instead of three.
There are also seasonal challenges, which unlock mostly cosmetic fluff but you can earn an account wide extra stash tab 3 times iirc.
The early seasonal challenges will mail you Green set armour for your class that completes that tier AFAIK. This can only occur once per season.
At the end of the season, you can keep your character and all its loot by transferring it to normal, delete it or reroll it. Loot in normal isn't accessable to seasonal characters or vice versa.
I prefer doing seasonal simply because the stash space is too small imho, so I just delete everything and start again. Plus the season perk can make things interesting.

Edit: oh it's the 4 slots in KC currently. Forgot about the ghosts.

Man of Honour
Signed up for the beta testing. Will probably buy the game as well. I need a build which can handle Hell difficulty, unlike my Tesladin. But I don't see £35 as over-priced. It's like half a tank of fuel.

Soldato
Probably not. Picked up D2 as a teenager and online it was all the rage. No one gave a second thought to D1.

Evidently they did, or there wouldn't have been a sequel. D1 is a very different game, though; much less of an ARPG, more like an arcade game with a defined end.

One obstacle to a Diablo Remastered is that the official expansion was created by another company. Getting all the rights sorted out could be tough. But not sorting out the rights would lock out a third of the content.

Associate
Signed up for the beta testing. Will probably buy the game as well. I need a build which can handle Hell difficulty, unlike my Tesladin. But I don't see £35 as over-priced. It's like half a tank of fuel.
Reading things like this makes me feel better about my little car. That's more like a full tank and a month of driving for me

Soldato
Apparently the alpha for this is kicking off today, those who registered may get an email at some point today to confirm they got in.

So far nothing for me, but my luck with getting into these things is bad, anyone here received an invite?

Back
Top Bottom