The feeling that we've peaked with less to look forward too

Soldato
So how does one live outside of consumerism? Can you elaborate on this lifestyle and what it entails? :)

It doesn't mean you stop living, you just don't buy needless crap that is just for show for a start. You don't live beyond your means by buying stuff on credit (mortgages aside). Life is more about experiences rather than possessions basically.

So living this life out of "consumerism", do you still have aspirations to make money or does that not bother you? What about your family, are they also living the same lifestyle? What do you strive towards with your lifestyle approach

I see you asking about money, money doesn't make you happy. You will still be stuck in the cycle only buying more expensive items. I'd say a simpler life is a happier life but it needn't mean you buy a shack and live off the land forever.

Caporegime
So living this life out of "consumerism", do you still have aspirations to make money or does that not bother you? What about your family, are they also living the same lifestyle? What do you strive towards with your lifestyle approach

Lol how old are you squidward?
I hope young. You'll soon find out what matters in life.

Associate
It doesn't mean you stop living, you just don't buy needless crap that is just for show for a start. You don't live beyond your means by buying stuff on credit (mortgages aside). Life is more about experiences rather than possessions basically.

I see you asking about money, money doesn't make you happy. You will still be stuck in the cycle only buying more expensive items. I'd say a simpler life is a happier life but it needn't mean you buy a shack and live off the land forever.

Not buying needless crap, and not living beyond your means. Isn't that just basic financial sense? Is that classed as living a life outside of consumerism?

I never stated money makes you happy, it does however give you choice and freedom to a degree. If you can earn well, without falling victim to lifestyle inflation then you are in a good spot. Also agree with your last statement regarding a simpler life is a happy life. I wouldn't of thought you were living out of "consumerism" based on the above two sentences though.

Lol how old are you squidward?
I hope young. You'll soon find out what matters in life.
A young adult, I am not implying that money is everything or such. Just curious as to what motivates you. Do you have goals living this life out of consumerism? Trying to understand your lifestyle really.

Soldato
Isn't that just basic financial sense? Is that classed as living a life outside of consumerism?

Just some examples, there are no set rules. I think you'll find a large percentage of the population do not have basic financial sense. Assuming you paid for your car in cash and not in finance then?

Soldato
Anyone who claims money does not make you happy in this world is clearly talking a load of fracking crap. Money can buy you lots of things that can bring a great sense of joy in your life here and now and in the future.

Man of Honour
Anyone who claims money does not make you happy in this world is clearly talking a load of fracking crap. Money can buy you lots of things that can bring a great sense of joy in your life here and now and in the future.
I think having money saves you from the problems associated with not having money, but it does not make your materially happy.

I think for many of us we have aspired to have lots of money which is a goal that gives us a purpose and when we get there it’s underwhelming and you lack your purpose.

In other words, we need to find purpose in the now (rather than give ourselves a false purpose with a fickle goal). This is me projecting somewhat.

Associate
I think having money saves you from the problems associated with not having money, but it does not make your materially happy.

I think for many of us we have aspired to have lots of money which is a goal that gives us a purpose and when we get there it’s underwhelming and you lack your purpose.

In other words, we need to find purpose in the now (rather than give ourselves a false purpose with a fickle goal). This is me projecting somewhat.

I also agree with this, the problem with "finding" purpose is it's difficult to give yourself a meaningful purpose, many people expect their to be some sort of universal "purpose" or "meaning" to their lives, but in my opinion we are just suffering from anthropomorphism.

Edit: Re-read your post, good point about living in the now.

Caporegime
As others have obviously said money does buy you happiness, which is really just freedom, choice and security.

I've never been skint so I guess I have no personal opinion only what I feel it may be like.

Living outside of consumerism surely just means, not falling into the trap of getting a new TV, car, computer, mobile etc every year because, whAt else is there to spend my money on? Only replacing something if it's broken or nolonger fit for purpose.

Id rather spend my money on traveling and experiences nothing extravagant but well within my means.
I just bought a new TV for nearly 2.5k so I'm not a hippy by any stretch B4 anyone thinks it.
I was going to waste 2.5k on a gfx card but stood back and thought what's the point?
Motivation... I dunno it's certainly not earning insane money because if I wanted that I wouldn't have ditched my oilfield career to live in the Arctic circle and work in a hospital.

If you stop comparing yourself to others and are happy is that not perfect?

Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously having money opens up options etc, but there's a vast difference to being wealthy from an inheritance or something vs killing yourself working 70 80 however many hours a week to make big money.

If you dont have the time or energy to enjoy what you have earned is it worth it? Yes you can think you are setting up your family for the long run but as someone said lifestyle creep more often than not sets in.

Soldato
:D Love how a £3k sailing boat is now a gateway drug to piracy.

:D

Obviously having money opens up options etc, but there's a vast difference to being wealthy from an inheritance or something vs killing yourself working 70 80 however many hours a week to make big money.

If you dont have the time or energy to enjoy what you have earned is it worth it? Yes you can think you are setting up your family for the long run but as someone said lifestyle creep more often than not sets in.

Having money is better than not having money, but you don't need lots of money to get by.

I like to buy things, but I also like to use the things I buy and get value for money out of them. Tech devices (which a lot of us here probably spend a bit on) aren't cheap, but they last so much longer than they used to.

A flagship phone bought today is good for 2-3 years minimum, a new PC bought today can probably do 5+ years, maybe with a GPU update mid-cycle if playing high fidelity games. A new TV will last for years as well, my 2016 model OLED I relegated to the bedroom still looks great to this day.

I'd say that I am at a point where I can't really justify spending lots of my budget on new tech devices now, I've done most of the home related stuff I wanted to do with the exception of the garden, so I'll be saving up towards doing that for next year probably.

After that it's just overpaying the mortgage and things, whilst nice and does reduce debt, will not get me better interest rates due to being on the 60% LTV band anyway.

My car isn't used that much so I have an older VW polo that still runs, no reason to change it as fully paid off, don't want to join the HPV crew with a largeish monthly outgoing for a car I barely drive.

I am definitely hitting that wall that a lot of us have probably hit, where buying new stuff is nice, but it's also not really necessary, and you don't feel as big of an impact as you would have done years ago.

Soldato
I am mortgage free and have money and a beautiful house, and half another house, still not interested in a new car ect just need to get to the beach.
One daughter works for science museum the other a scientist Dr for nhsx, they live different lives I'm only talking about me.
Edit, have money meaning savings nearer 100k than 200 quid :p

Soldato
I find that I am most happy with many things when I stop searching for it. Arguably that's stifled any ambition in me, but I do alright :)

The outside world is projected into our lives far too much since the birth of web 2.0, which makes it very easy to judge the world as not that great compared to the "old" days.

Soldato
Living outside of consumerism surely just means, not falling into the trap of getting a new TV, car, computer, mobile etc every year because, whAt else is there to spend my money on? Only replacing something if it's broken or nolonger fit for purpose.

Yeah, there really is no definition but I'll keep the simple life simple. Our economic system depends on ever increasing consumption and growth so if people want to work themselves to the bone for it then that is fine by me. Obviously we all need to buy our robotic vacuums, there are limits.... :p

Soldato

People on big bucks are not just in it for the money, not in my experience anyway. It is a fallacy to think so, as it implies everyone can do those jobs. They have drive and determination to achieve something, and their job is the itch that scratches that desire.

Personal goals that transcend relaxing on a beach and even to a large extent, being with family. My work is incredibly stressful and I spend in excess of 60hrs+ a week on a good week, but I love what I do because I am building things bigger than I could on my own and I take pride in them.

It is the reason why the "morning routine" thread is so sad to see how many people wake up and endure their 40hrs.

Unfortunately a consequence is that you then spend your down time 'tired' and often don't invest as much energy into it as you do the thing you really love. You see that all the time. People waking up at 7am on a work day and putting the effort in to be on time, but when it comes to personal life, sleep becomes the priorty and lieing in. Invest just as much time in your personal life as your private life and you're onto a winner.

Soldato
Good look to you 60 hours plus a week guys,, i would rather be walking and surfing, did the camino in 2019 (31 day pyranees and across spain) probebly do another route next time,
Thing is you have to work smarter not harder or lomger that's where your going wrong

Back
Top Bottom