• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What are people's experiences with import tax and duty on imported GPUs?

Caporegime
About right this, i bought a waterblock from watercool.de for £200ish. Got slapped with around £50 worth of tax/duty and £12 on processing fees.

Even though i ordered it before new year, it wasn't shipped till after in late January so got slapped pretty hard.

Yeah thats what I really hate. I ordered something back in June which didnt get delivered until January and then got stung £87. If it had come in December it would have been £0

Soldato
Yeah thats what I really hate. I ordered something back in June which didnt get delivered until January and then got stung £87. If it had come in December it would have been £0
Rubbish isn't it, these changes in the EU are gonna cost the buyers a lot of money... im just hoping UK companies can source the goods for cheap still or at least at a reasonable price.

It's gonna be awhile till things normalise though, companies like aquacomputer and watercool.de are still not shipping to the UK sadly.

Caporegime
Rule Britannia and all that means that the EU is now no different to any other country. You now have to pay tax and import duty on ALL items coming in the UK so it's an additional 23.5% roughly, plus processing charge usually of £10. That applies to ebay items as it does all shop and supplier items. It may also be delayed by customs. If you are going to buy abroad it is better to use a company that sorts all that lot out for you like the jungle.

Thanks for the info, clarifies things a fair bit :)

Associate
I just bought a 3060ti from Amazon USA. They (Amazon) took £70 to cover the import fees and a week after delivery I was refunded £5. The total cost of the card including fees and delivery was £385 which was cheaper than anywhere in the UK have sold the card for.
As far as warranty issues - Amazon have a great customer service so I have no concerns there.

Soldato
Trying to get my head round this, I assume around £70 of the £87 is import VAT, £17 duty. Before 2021 if our business invoiced a customer in an EU country we wouldn't charge UK VAT, instead, we just added the net sales price to our intrastat and EC sales returns.
I assume this business never invoiced you their country's VAT, therefore prior to leaving the EU it was always cheaper to import products from the EU than buy in the UK since we wouldn't pay sales or import VAT at all?

Soldato
Rule Britannia and all that means that the EU is now no different to any other country. You now have to pay tax and import duty on ALL items coming in the UK so it's an additional 23.5% roughly, plus processing charge usually of £10. That applies to ebay items as it does all shop and supplier items. It may also be delayed by customs. If you are going to buy abroad it is better to use a company that sorts all that lot out for you like the jungle.
A lot of companies seem to be sorting it on their end. I bought a PSU direct from Corsair which arrived from the Netherlands with no extra charges. I've also bought several things from a certain Chinese marketplace this year, who are charging VAT on their end. They seem to be shipping things to a UK warehouse and then reshipping them via Royal Mail within the UK. All have arrived with a Royal Mail label and a return address of 4PX Express UK Limited. This is actually far better than the previous system, where most things I bought from there would get nabbed by customs and have a massive handling fee added to the VAT. Now it's just the latter.

Caporegime
Trying to get my head round this, I assume around £70 of the £87 is import VAT, £17 duty. Before 2021 if our business invoiced a customer in an EU country we wouldn't charge UK VAT, instead, we just added the net sales price to our intrastat and EC sales returns.
I assume this business never invoiced you their country's VAT, therefore prior to leaving the EU it was always cheaper to import products from the EU than buy in the UK since we wouldn't pay sales or import VAT at all?

Its the double counting of the vat. When I bought it i paid the gross value including the 19% (i think) VAT in Germany. Before 31st December that would have been it. Since it was delivered in January i got UK VAT charged on it, import duty (duty was zero before 31st) and a healthy admin fee by UPS for the processing of customs and collecting the VAT/duty.

Associate
Its the double counting of the vat. When I bought it i paid the gross value including the 19% (i think) VAT in Germany. Before 31st December that would have been it. Since it was delivered in January i got UK VAT charged on it, import duty (duty was zero before 31st) and a healthy admin fee by UPS for the processing of customs and collecting the VAT/duty.
Same for me today, £11.50 Ups fee and £45 tax even though I have paid UK Vat on it UK site but its shipped from Germany. As soon as I paid it suddenly went delayed for an extra 3 days. :mad:

I've emailed the company asking for the original Vat to be refunded we'll see how that goes!

I checked Hmrc website and I think computer components are import duty free and just have Vat charged. I should have just paid the £15 postage and split the order in two £135 orders and avoided anything on top.

Soldato
The EU are deliberately making everything as difficult and expensive as possible out of spite. However, the pound is surging against the dollar (almost $1.50 to £1) as investors are backing Britain's economic recovery so it will likely work out cheaper to get your gear from the US.

Caporegime
The EU are deliberately making everything as difficult and expensive as possible out of spite. However, the pound is surging against the dollar (almost $1.50 to £1) as investors are backing Britain's economic recovery so it will likely work out cheaper to get your gear from the US.

it’s the U.K. charging the import duty and vat though. :confused:

Soldato
trade deals remove import DUTY, but not VAT, so you will always end up paying at least 20% on imports plus a "handling fee", plus computer parts in Canada and Australia tend to be more expensive anyway, so not sure that will help at all

if you are going to be buying PC parts and want a cheap price then basically you are looking at importing from China, and then bye bye warranty

can confirm don't buy anything from Australia unless you enjoy getting gaped

Permabanned

When Brexit doesn't work out somehow the Brexiteers manage to blame the EU.

Permabanned
Rubbish isn't it, these changes in the EU are gonna cost the buyers a lot of money... im just hoping UK companies can source the goods for cheap still or at least at a reasonable price.

It's gonna be awhile till things normalise though, companies like aquacomputer and watercool.de are still not shipping to the UK sadly.

These are not charges in the EU, they are charges the UK Government makes.

Soldato

Same for me today, £11.50 Ups fee and £45 tax even though I have paid UK Vat on it UK site but its shipped from Germany. As soon as I paid it suddenly went delayed for an extra 3 days. :mad:

I've emailed the company asking for the original Vat to be refunded we'll see how that goes!

I checked Hmrc website and I think computer components are import duty free and just have Vat charged. I should have just paid the £15 postage and split the order in two £135 orders and avoided anything on top.

Pretty sure you have 3 months to claim back VAT paid in a foreign country if you also paid it in the UK

Back
Top Bottom