Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
This has been a really useful thread, so thanks.
I've be race simming off and on since the Microsoft Sidewinder days (pre-USB :o ) and last had a Logitech G25 I sold a few years ago.

I've been reliving those days recently with LFS (Shout out to WOT.racing), Project Cars 1 and AC1 - with an XBox 360 controller. Enjoyed it enough to financially invest in RFactor 2 and BeamNG.drive. I only have patience for offline, so give me Nordschleife and decent simulation and I'm good.
Didn't take me long to start hankering after a FF wheel again even though I surprised myself with how much patience I had for Rfactor 2 + minimal assists + gamepad + no FF :)

Secondhand I've picked up a TM T300RS with T3PA-PRO pedals + a set of T-LCM load cell pedals to compare.
First impressions (it has been several years, so hard to compare directly to my G25):

While it's stronger, it's not night and day difference to a G25 wheel. I'm sure it's better in every way, but for the price I thought there'd be some extra magic to it. Totally accept my opinion would be different if I had them side by side ;)

Those load cell pedals! Not keeping them. Even when braced against something solid, the tray edge towards me lifts up under full braking. That's on the softest springs. They feel great and I'd love to have them fixed to a frame but I'm not at that level of investment just yet.

I had a play with the response curves on them to see if I could tone it down, but doesn't seem like it's worth keeping them if I do that. With my seat and pedals set up on a flat wood floor, they are just a frustrating handicap.

That all sounds quite negative, but I'm loving the setup using the T3PA-Pro pedals. They are heavier than than the LCM set which seems the wrong way round. They are far more planted for use on a flat floor.

Tempted to try some of the prettier more recent games, but unless the underlying physics are better, not just different to RFactor 2, then I'll keep my money. Any recommendations, excluding iRacing?

Soldato
I suggest getting yourself a decent wheel stand, I went for the GT Omega Apex and run the Fanatec CSL Elite LC Pedals and CSW 2.5 wheel and they are rock solid on those. If you can't put pressure on the LC then its not going to work properly and thats where the difference comes from. Once you get used to LC its very hard to go back...

In terms of games the other two I'd look at are Automobilista 2 and Assetto Corsa Competizione they are both very good I also have rFactor 2 and its similar but they all are different to each other. AMS 2 is coming on in leaps and bounds and ACC with the added DLC is also really good.

Associate
Thanks J1nxy, was eyeing up those games but not that fussed about GT heavy stuff. And that if I go to AMS2 I might as well stump up for the Season pass straightaway... Might try it briefly and Steam refund.

Not building a rig. I know I should, but space is an issue. Are there still those floor braces that attach to your normal chair legs and anchor the pedals?

Soldato
Not talking about building a rig, its a wheel stand, this is my setup as I don't have space either, it just gets folded up or slid out the way.

AMS2 has a lot of cars already, including LMP, open wheel etc, the tracks are the only thing I've got so far as DLC as I wanted Spa and Silverstone.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do love that Fanatec rim - looks awesome.

I've been building myself a DIY loadcell brake and hall effect accelerator set for now, on the wheel front I'm tempted to go for a VRS direct drive wheel (If I can buy one,. seems since we left the EU I'm currently boned on that front) and then build my own rims using blueHID for a wireless button box/shifter interface as I don't like the idea of a fcoiled usb cable... anyone had any experience with BlueHID?

Soldato
Bit of a thread bump but wanted to ask a question.
Did any of you make the jump from a Thrustmaster T300 to a Fanatec Clubsport v2.5 wheel ?

Was it significantly different ?

I cant afford a DD wheel and it would be too powerful for my desk setup.

Associate
OP
My CSL elite ps4 and CSL pedals have been rock solid for years now.

The FFB is great and plenty strong enough. I have in game FFB strength around 60 on most games

Soldato
Ok thank you chaps. I'll do a bit more research. Im suprised there hasnt been a newer version considering the 2.5 has been out nearly 4 years,

Soldato
Cracking setup there Swanny. Hoping to do something similar when we move house.

I did buy the Fanatec CSW v2.5 and the Formula V2 wheel.

Hoping to be worthwhile from a T300.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
that was the upgrade I took. Couldnt justify a DD wheel personally and the 2.5 is a significant step up from the T300.
only advice I can give you is to spend some time in Fanalab and get the game profiles loaded for whatever you play then customise settings from there as it will save you a lot of messing about.
the 2.5 and a formula v2 will be a great combination for most racing. I only got a second wheel for drifting/driving road cars.

Soldato
Excellent, thats good to hear.

I will check out fanalab and make sure everything is setup properly. Im have an ocd for making sure everything before just racing etc.

Soldato
Just as an FYI and because im a plum and didnt realise.

Ive been smacked with a rather large import bill of £156.00

Anyone looking to order from Fanatec keep this in mind. Not a dig at them, i completely forgot about the whole brexit thing...................

Back
Top Bottom