Don't have a drill.. Sds drill?

Caporegime
Borrowed a normal drill and couldn't get through the wall behind the plaster board.

Should I just get an sds drill and be done with it? Is there any drawbacks to going whole hog?

Man of Honour
Just get an SDS drill and be done with it, especially if you're going to use it again in the future. If it's a one off, speak to your neighbours and see if they have one for you to borrow.

Soldato
Is there any drawbacks to going whole hog?

They're really impractical for basic jobs.

Heavy duty stuff - great.

But for everything else, they're really heavy/bulky. Plus i'm not sure you'd even be able to use small drill bits - 2mm-4mm etc - even with some kind of converter.

Caporegime
OP
Sounds like an sds drill is the ticket.
It's a small 3 bed detached. So 2 or 3 walls in each room are outside walls.

Anything that needs putting up has a greater than 50 percent chance of being on an outer wall. So yes. It will be used lots

Soldato
But for everything else, they're really heavy/bulky. Plus i'm not sure you'd even be able to use small drill bits - 2mm-4mm etc - even with some kind of converter.

You can get small bits, you can also get a converter that means you can use standard drill bits of any size but with no hammer action. Not that you would hammer with a 2mm bit anyway..

Soldato
Buy an SDS drill that also has the conventional quick-swap chuck included, means you won't need to buy one later or chuck out your existing non-SDS drill bits. See what I did there ;).

Soldato
I think i'd just go for a good quality combi drill with some decent bits, and this is someone with a combi, cordless small SDS and then a big heavy SDS.

The Dewalt DCD796 combi is more than powerful enough, i live in an old 1870 house with 70cm thick solid walls and it got through that fine when running a cable for CCTV, and in my previous terraced house i had "Accrington bricks" which apparently are known as being really hard and no issues there either (drilled a 16mm hole right through for an outdoor socket).

The usability of that vs something like the Titan SDS is massive.

Soldato
I am with @Martynt74. I had a corded SDS and I could not face getting it out the box to use. It was too big and the cord was a real chore to work with. I've never had a problem with a reasonable quality cordless drill getting through brick (my old 1990's house was very hard brick, although my newer property is a lot softer).

Soldato
Id suggest investing in a SDS drill they will go through bricks much easier and quicker.

Oh for sure, but is quicker and easier really worth it when you're just sticking the odd TV bracket etc on the wall occasionally?

If i'm doing most stuff around the house i'll always use my Combi as by the time i've got the extension lead and plugged the SDS in, i've drilled what i needed to. I only really see the SDS as being useful for chiseling and core drilling.

Permabanned
Most are not that big, picked up a Bosch from amazon recently for £100, its only a little bigger than my normal hammer drill. However for most tasks they are not required, I just needed one to put up some curtain rails on a lintel.

Soldato
Seconding the recommendation for a proper combi, I live in 1890s semi and since upgrading from a cheapo B&D drill to my dewalt 796 I haven't needed to borrow my neighbour's corded beast once.

If you're hanging pictures and non-huge shelves/mirrors etc, even in solid wall that'll do. If you're more frequently wanting to drill for large fixings like big floating shelves, tv mounts, cabinets etc., SDS is the way.

Could say in either case it's worth having a good combi, so invest in one of those and if you're still hankering for the SDS, pull the trigger.

What drill do you borrow, mentioned in the OP?

Soldato
A regular sized cordless Ryobi combi hammer drill/screwdriver paired with a quality set of masonry bits did everything I wanted in my old 1940s brick/concrete house for a decade.

It still takes care of 95% of jobs in my 1800s stone farmhouse. When I’m drilling more than regular rawlplug depth/diameter in big stone blocks, it’s SDS time.

Associate
I am with @Martynt74. I had a corded SDS and I could not face getting it out the box to use. It was too big and the cord was a real chore to work with. I've never had a problem with a reasonable quality cordless drill getting through brick (my old 1990's house was very hard brick, although my newer property is a lot softer).

Cordless drill through brick? most cordless drills I have had barely touch the surface of a brick.

Soldato
Cordless drill through brick? most cordless drills I have had barely touch the surface of a brick.

Not about it being cordless it needs to actually have the hammering action required to smash up the concrete and brick.

Going to be there all year if you're using a drill that simply spins a bit against the surface.

Back
Top Bottom