*** The Official macOS Big Sur thread ***

Soldato
What's the consensus on upgrading to Big Sur now they have released a couple of updates?

My colleague is having a load of issues with his 2017 iMac since upgrading — he's formatted and re-installed from scratch but it's still unstable. He's going to update to 11.2 today and see if that fixes it.

I'm not particularly confident about upgrading my machines (2015 MBP and 2017 iMac) while he's still having trouble.

Commissario
OP
It’s more stable than Catalina was for me.

/edit - that’s on my old 2016 MacBook and my 2017 iMac. I can’t compare it on the M1 MBA for obvious reasons.

Not that Catalina was bad, this just feels more solid.

Man of Honour
Looks like IT are finally going to allow Big Sur onto our managed Macs on the 22nd of Feb. Looking forward to it as I've had a few issues which I'm hoping will be resolved.

Associate
I don't know if it's imagination but 11.2.1 just seems generally quicker and smoother. It wasn't slow before but it feels (and I hate to use the word) snappier.

Kind of the same here, although I'm not gonna invoke the wrath of the MacRumors lot by outright saying "sn*ppier"! BT mouse/keyboard shenanigans much better on 11.2+ as well so far.

Did take 3 or 4 shots to actually download the installer on my M1 mini, but got there eventually.

Associate
I don't know if it's imagination but 11.2.1 just seems generally quicker and smoother. It wasn't slow before but it feels (and I hate to use the word) snappier.

another follow up... not sure exactly what’s changed, but WoW now hits - and can pass - the 100fps foreground cap, whereas before it floated between 50-65 or so. Not entirely sure what’s changed, and game settings haven’t changed as an aside, but the fps increase must have some cause.

I don’t think I’m drinking the tame Apple Kool Aid, but that’sa definitely increase from my experience!

Man of Honour
Work have pushed out a new VPN client which is compatible with Big Sur. Although they won't officially support Macs on Big Sur until the 22nd, I'm 99% positive they've done this to give people time to get the new VPN client. I have it downloaded and I'm just doing a backup. I'll start the upgrade later on in the afternoon when I have an hour free. I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping it will solve some of the minor issues I've been getting (mainly TimeMachine and Bluetooth related, plus random crashes when asleep).

Soldato
Anyone able to help me out, I'm trying to find out what speed I'm connected to my wifi at as it's started running slowly for some reason.

I use to use network utility but that has now been deprecated.

Long story short, whats the terminal command to see the link speed for wifi? Much appreciated

Soldato
Anyone able to help me out, I'm trying to find out what speed I'm connected to my wifi at as it's started running slowly for some reason.

Long story short, whats the terminal command to see the link speed for wifi? Much appreciated

Would this do it?

Code:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I

Commissario
OP
Not quite what you're after but I have this on my MBA.

It sits in the menu and I have a constant display that shows me band, strength and speed. It's very customisable and I just find it handy sometimes. It's the only system monitor type thing I use.

sWtc9lr.png

/edit - I've just noticed I can make it go over two lines so it takes up less space, that's even better.

P3HIsi7.png

Man of Honour

Just worked out, option + mouse click on the wifi symbol shows you the speed and other stats.

Soldato
Just worked out, option + mouse click on the wifi symbol shows you the speed and other stats.

Nice, I thought that had been removed as I tried cmd + wifi first and it didn't work. Looks like it gives most of the same stats as the command I added above.

Back
Top Bottom