What watch do you wear?

Associate
15mm+ :o Yeah that's not slipping below a sleeve is it lol

Since photographing watches came up a few times here I have been playing around with easy watch photography anyone can try, all you need is a modern phone camera and the light from your computer monitor. No other light source needed.

@mrk I actually took a shot of my 62MAS this exact way but I had no idea it was a 'technique' so to speak I just wanted a nice shot of the lume, placed the watch down and took a pic. The light from the monitor really helps create a nice mood shot. Pic below is a nice example of how good the Lumibrite is on these Seikos. Thats just charge from normal indoor light sources and is legible a good 5hrs.

vU4FQsd.png

Man of Honour
Very nice indeed that is, Seiko's Lumibrite has always been impressive too.

I did have a play with video using the same concept too but trying to get those forward pans to zoom style shots by hand, it can be done quite well but at 60fps then slowed down in editing to give that silky smoothness you see on youtube on car reviews etc, but on current phone models 60fps means you are stuck with the main camera lens only so no macro. Maybe that's an adventure for the next phone upgrade lol.

Anyway here's what I managed...

wristshot_lume_deskdark.gif

Associate

I did have a play with video using the same concept too but trying to get those forward pans to zoom style shots by hand, it can be done quite well but at 60fps then slowed down in editing to give that silky smoothness you see on youtube on car reviews etc, but on current phone models 60fps means you are stuck with the main camera lens only so no macro. Maybe that's an adventure for the next phone upgrade lol.

Thats really cool, love how that watch plays with the light. :)

Kei

Kei

Soldato
My daily beater for the last 24 years. I've had this since the end of junior school. No other watches survived my childhood. This bears the scars of a hard life, yet it continues to work well. For those wondering, it has a 36mm case width and the dial is a puny 28mm, which suits my slim wrists perfectly.

Soldato
Think I've posted in here before, but here's a few of my most cherished pieces:

Seiko Prospex SPB189J1 "Shogun" - 40th gift from my amazing Wife.
(Excuse the shocking photos - haven't had time to get my camera out :rolleyes:)

(Not my photo, but shows the colour of the titanium nicely):

Tag Heuer Kirium - given to me by my parents on my 18th birthday - literally received it this morning from my brother, after he "revived" it (he's now the in-house watchmaker for his wife's family jewellers in Sunderland).
It's had a new movement, sapphire & seals, plus a polish/rebrush to remove some of the worst scratches and finally two links added to fit my "no longer skinny 18 year old" wrist:

Seiko 6309-7040 (the original "Turtle") - inherited from my late grandfather, who was a commercial diver in the late 60's, through to the early 80's. Completely original from 1978 (the rubber strap is in the box as it's pretty fragile now). He died in 1994, so it was a good few years before my wrist was big enough to wear it.
It's been my daily for the past 10 years, on a Bond NATO, up until I got the Shogun.

I have another few pieces I need to find time to photograph (worth far more), but none are as sentimental as these three.

Caporegime

wristshot_lume_deskdark.gif

Do you shave your arms??? :eek:

Man of Honour
Not a fan of your head have to say :eek: :D

Do you shave your arms??? :eek:

Nope, there are some... some. All of my quality hair is on my head, my barber says it is the best hair he has seen and returns to the same length every 3 weeks and needs cutting again. I currently look like cousin it, had to tuck it out the way for the pics above.

Noob attempts to replicate on keyboard shots..... @mrk 's tips will result in better shots shortly!

PXL-20210223-150302139-PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL-20210223-150324138-PORTRAIT.jpg

Was about to say how did you get orange seconds hand on the BB then realised :D

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Tropic straps, vintage or modern style?

Looking at them on Watchgecko and I'm trying to decide which I like more.

Man of Honour
Tropic straps, vintage or modern style?

Looking at them on Watchgecko and I'm trying to decide which I like more.

Neither. from there. They are fine but they are not true tropic straps for a couple of reasons.

You want Joseph Bonnie or Wolbrooke tropic traps. Both straps are made by the same OEM it seems as they are identical everywhere except the buckle where Wolbrook use a modern style buckle and Joseph Bonnie use a better revised vintage one. These are softer and more pliable than any other tropic/rubber strap even when cold and only get more comfortable with body heat.

Wolbrook: https://wolbrook.com/collections/tropic-rubber-straps
Bonnie: https://www.josephbonnie.com/en/product/rubber-tropic-olive-drab/

The buckle on the Bonnie photos are still the old vintage style ones so looks like they have not yet updated the images with the revised one but here's what it looks like as I have both variants:

EBR2H70.jpg

Gief me some. Will swap for arm hair.

I am not a shop.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been looking into Zenith of late, can’t decide between the Chrono Sport and the ‘69 El Primero.

I very much like them both but can’t help thinking I will lose ££££s and should instead wait for my GMT2.

Back
Top Bottom