Wait for 30x GPU Laptops?

Soldato
Yep Asus has updated their page on the G15 (I ordered before this!)
https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/2021-rog-zephyrus-g15-series/spec

Shows that the 3080 is actually clocked lower at the same TGP. So glad I went for the GA503QR-HQ099RS model!

Associate
Im hoping my credit card arrives tomorrow if so im ready to pounce on one of the following:

My budget is 2k, so all come in under...

Strix G15 G513QR £1700
Strix G17 G713QR £1800
Strix Scar 17 G633QR £1900

Spec wise they are all the same bar the scar comes with a better speaker system and mechanical keyboard... but possibly more valuable is a 2yr warranty so maybe worth that 200 quid.

Someone put me off... my Mrs has my balls on the chopping block already, so if one of these bad boys rolls in, im getting neutered :D

Associate
The problem I have is the longer I wait, the more I put myself off things... like oh but in another months time there will be this, or maybe its in a sale etc :D

Im better on impulse, I think as long as I can find one of the 3 laptops ive listed in stock somewhere tomorrow (fingers crossed), ill bite the bullet. No Ragrets ;)

Unless someone puts a Youtube side by side on tonight as they have a Lenovo to sway me!

Associate
Well ive joined the 30xx series club today, well ordered today and awaiting delivery of course :) Lets go OCUK ;)

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 G733QR NVIDIA RTX 3070, 16GB, 17.3" 300Hz, Ryzen R7-5800H Gaming Laptop

Thats what I went for in the end, I think it gives me the best combination of CPU/GPU atm and with the extra confidence of that 2yr warranty, plus the additional niceties of the mechanical keyboard and a bit bigger screen as my current MSI is a 15".

I could have waited it out I suppose, but im hopeful this is good enough for 3 years worth of gaming give or take.

Soldato
Well ive joined the 30xx series club today, well ordered today and awaiting delivery of course :) Lets go OCUK ;)

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 G733QR NVIDIA RTX 3070, 16GB, 17.3" 300Hz, Ryzen R7-5800H Gaming Laptop

Thats what I went for in the end, I think it gives me the best combination of CPU/GPU atm and with the extra confidence of that 2yr warranty, plus the additional niceties of the mechanical keyboard and a bit bigger screen as my current MSI is a 15".

I could have waited it out I suppose, but im hopeful this is good enough for 3 years worth of gaming give or take.

Good choice!

I ordered the same. I had ordered the 15” QHD but charged it to this when I saw it was in stock. Ideally I wanted 17” QHD, but I think I’ll prefer 17” FHD over 15” QHD.

Shouldn’t need anything more powerful than a 3070 at FHD either. Games will likely be CPU bottlenecked before they become GPU bottlenecked at that resolution.
I may even be able to turn the performance down and still get really good frame rates with a quieter machine.

Associate
Good choice!

I ordered the same. I had ordered the 15” QHD but charged it to this when I saw it was in stock. Ideally I wanted 17” QHD, but I think I’ll prefer 17” FHD over 15” QHD.

Shouldn’t need anything more powerful than a 3070 at FHD either. Games will likely be CPU bottlenecked before they become GPU bottlenecked at that resolution.
I may even be able to turn the performance down and still get really good frame rates with a quieter machine.

Nice yeah im looking forward to it. Decent price for what you get and a email fron DPD says i should have it tomorrow!

So fingers crossed in that :)

We can compare notes once we have them in our laps.

Associate
Mine is here!

Setting up now, feels really nice actually, was worried the build may be a bit cheap but looks sleek and dosent feel like its going to crack and creek everytime i touch it.

Soldato
Mine unfortunately needs to go back. :(
The caps lock light stays on, the number 8 key feels stiff and makes a loud click and the left hinge makes a noise.
Thermals appear to be decent, the keyboard is nice (except for the problem 8 key) and the display has almost zero backlight bleed (there may be some in the top corner) (although contrast is poor, not a fault just the panel) but I don’t expect to have these issues with a brand new machine.
I’ll probably try my luck with the Razer Blade.

Associate
Thats a shame :(

Mine seems OK, the fan is more noticable than the MSI I have, sort of a low din.

Not gamed on her yet, so will see how it goes.

Turbo is a bit quieter than the MSI, certainly revs up though.

I do like WIFI 6, not sure if its helping but im maxing out my 500mb line! The MSI never came near to that. 44.0mb per second on Steam, im downloading games like they are going out of fashion :D

Back
Top Bottom