• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

todays price hike on 30 series stuff?

Associate
I purchased a Inno3D RTX3090 iChill X4 last month at a really silly price of £1799.99, but it was the card I was waiting for and there were plenty available 10+. One month later the same card is £2,099.99!!!! £300 more!!!! WOW.....I would hate to see what scalpers prices are now?? £2500 maybe more?? For these prices, you can get a really good 17' gaming laptop, the worlds gone mad! I thought I was mad paying what I did!? I normally buy my computer stuff from here, but I might start to look elsewhere from now on!?
Anyway, you can't pre order this card anymore, so the prices are just a number, they haven't got any, or going to get any, so they might as well advertise the cards for stupid money?? Oh hang on, they have!!!

Soldato
I've given up on this gen altogether. If prices do come down by July or whatever then we would be half way through the current gen so pointless buying a new card.

Associate
overclockers have basically just gone wild, and I thought they was against scalpers lol.

This.

Back when the 1070 and 1080 came out, Gibbo did a really good deal on a couple of 1070 cards and I snapped that right up. It was a great price and I genuinely had the feeling he was looking after forum members by giving us a decent heads up and also giving free or very cheap delivery to forum members. Obviously in the current climate I wouldn't expect him to be doing anything like that.

But what I also wouldn't expect is how far the other way this seems to have gone at OCUK, too far the other way. I get that they're a business, but why such higher prices than anywhere else?

Associate
This.

Back when the 1070 and 1080 came out, Gibbo did a really good deal on a couple of 1070 cards and I snapped that right up. It was a great price and I genuinely had the feeling he was looking after forum members by giving us a decent heads up and also giving free or very cheap delivery to forum members. Obviously in the current climate I wouldn't expect him to be doing anything like that.

But what I also wouldn't expect is how far the other way this seems to have gone at OCUK, too far the other way. I get that they're a business, but why such higher prices than anywhere else?

No other reason than just because they can.

Associate
Lucky only if you get one that doesn't scream with coil whine, we are sick of ours at work to the point we started opening them up and using hot glue on the chokes to reduce the whine and the ones that it didn't help with they ended up on ebay at £2K a pop and sold and replaced with the AIBS the 3090 FE that is as they are used in sli/nvlink for the workstations. Worst whining cards we have ever had to the point it's driving people crazy and we won't be buying them anymore and getting the blower cards and AIB cards with open coolers for the cases that have good venting and fans, we are that tired of them now and the odd ones with rattling fans too that are just as bad, nice design cards but too many issues with them regarding the noise they produce in an office.

Not sure about the other FE cards but the 3090s are a royal pain, we had some sent back and replaced and that was only done because we purchased a lot of them and they said that will be a one off replacement because they class the whine as normal..:rolleyes: and of course we still ended up with cards that whined that went straight on ebay and replaced with AIBs that we can get our hands on in pairs at almost £500-£600 more than the FE price but again stopped the horrible screaching noise from all the workstations in an open office.

Pricing has gone up everywhere not just ocuk, other e-tailers have prices that seem lower for cards but they are all out of stock and when in stock they show the true selling price and they are way more than the out of stock price too. Sad reality of the times we live in and is only going to get worse by the sounds of it with samsung and TSMC having issues right now with manufacturing and environmental issues where the fabs are and they are being forced to make automobile parts.

I have a 3070FE here and thankfully I haven’t noticed any coil whine. My old 7970 whined a little and if those 3090s were bad I can definitely see why it would drive you nuts.

Soldato
I've given up on this gen altogether. If prices do come down by July or whatever then we would be half way through the current gen so pointless buying a new card.

I'm pretty much at that point as well, I'm not interested in spending every waking minute waiting for a ping from discord/telegram/some other stock checker so seems like I won't be able to get either a 3080 or 6800XT anytime soon, and by the time we can what's the point... Although that's assuming next gen won't be just as bad...

Associate
We know that production costs etc have gone up, but I would be surprised if it is by 50%. However, if people are prepared to buy from scalpers for 100% more in some cases of course the AIBs and retailers are going to want some of the profits that is going to scalpers. If people didn't pay these prices then they couldn't charge them

Associate
Lucky only if you get one that doesn't scream with coil whine, we are sick of ours at work to the point we started opening them up and using hot glue on the chokes to reduce the whine and the ones that it didn't help with they ended up on ebay at £2K a pop and sold and replaced with the AIBS the 3090 FE that is as they are used in sli/nvlink for the workstations. Worst whining cards we have ever had to the point it's driving people crazy and we won't be buying them anymore and getting the blower cards and AIB cards with open coolers for the cases that have good venting and fans, we are that tired of them now and the odd ones with rattling fans too that are just as bad, nice design cards but too many issues with them regarding the noise they produce in an office.

Yikes, not heard about that issue, then again 3090 was not really a card I was ever going to be interested in, as i'm not really the target market for it anyway.

Pricing has gone up everywhere not just ocuk, other e-tailers have prices that seem lower for cards but they are all out of stock and when in stock they show the true selling price and they are way more than the out of stock price too. Sad reality of the times we live in and is only going to get worse by the sounds of it with samsung and TSMC having issues right now with manufacturing and environmental issues where the fabs are and they are being forced to make automobile parts.

Yep that's been my experience too.

Pet Northerner
Don
Utterly ******* ridiculous.:mad:

Gibbo / Scott has already mentioned that the cost price to OCUK was above MSRP for the 3060, so OCUK are skipping out for now:

The official RTX 3060 MSRP is even more unreasonable than the others to speak frankly. None of the manufacturers seem able to get close. Our cost price on the cheapest card available to us is more than Nvidia's MSRP. If you hope to get one as MSRP then the subsidised founders cards might be the only realistic hope. That said, I expect some manufacturers to offer launch support for a handful of units at MSRP but we definitely aren't going to play that game again, we've been burnt too often already this year.

As it stands, we've taken the decision not to open up 3060 for sale on launch day. We aren't willing to risk a repeat of the previous launches.

This!

We shall re-visit the 3060 in March and maybe make available from then and only for product in stock.

Pricing is an absolute shambles, either MSRP's are been very miss leading or AIB's have drastically increased their profit margins on product, either way as Scott says MSRP is below our cost price on even the cheapest cards.

Soldato
My partners friend offered me a MSI one for £1800 a few weeks back. Said no as wanted to buy one directly from a retailer for warranty reasons. Feel like a idiot for missing out now!

You live and learn

Associate
Utterly ******* ridiculous.:mad:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve kept the discord alerts from when I was looking for a new GPU and just laugh/shake my head when I see some of the prices.

The same competitor had initially listed 3060s at £299 then I got alerts showing they’d went upto £399.

Worst thing is they get snapped up in no time.

Man of Honour
Think this is going to be a case in the end the tighter they grasp the more slips through their fingers - this is going to do huge damage to PC gaming and eventually drive down demand :( (which won't necessarily drive down prices).

(Not that there is any stock at the moment anyhow)

Associate

Yep same here, was planning an upgrade just after Christmas but can't be bothered now.

Got a Series X luckily and really enjoying it, so the PC can wait for a while. On a 1070 so it's still reasonable and runs games pretty well. For any new stuff I'll just use the XBox.

Back
Top Bottom