Valheim

Associate
Been hooked playing with my teenage son, and so many great moments. Both killed by falling trees, but we built our little base. Finally getting the resources and upgrades to defeat the second boss, but only to return home with three arrows between us and find the ground shaking and three trolls quite happy to chase us and destroy our buildings. Over the last couple of days, we built a boat and found a the plains, and pretty much got our butts kicked there.

These five developers have certainly done something right.

Soldato
For those who do not know - DO NOT Terraform your bases to a large extent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqcr88/reason_behind_low_fps_and_huge_instance_numbers/

My comment is on that thread but long story short - A friend and I 'removed' a large hill on our main base. This base had some 3 buildings at the time (now 7), however we noticed the base was laggier than normal. A few days later most of us terraformed and flatted a coastal piece of land, since then its been a lagfest of large proportions. As you load into the base you see the original landscape, then the modified landscape eventually appears after some 10-20seconds and the frame rate, which has dropped to 10-14fps at this time normalises. If you venture away from the base and run back towards it, you get a frame rate crash all over again for a few moments.

The OP in that post speaks in detail about how terraforming induces lag. This same lag can be seen in Subnautica (also a Unity title) if you build large enough bases, and why the Terraforming Tool was removed from the game early on in. Pressing F2 gives you ingame stats and an 'instances' figure. Our base around 14,000-17,000 when LeMson on this forum did some checks. Our very first mini base is just 8k.

Associate
Built a lovely forest mine, finished walling it off... plenty of fires to light the place up and keep off the hordes.

Spikes at certain choke points, im thinking job done.

First off I forgot to bring copper to setup a forge, thats annoying, then as night sets in, it begins to rain lol. So all my fires are out and the night time terrors have arrived en masse.

Im sat at the bottom of the pit hoping the walls hold out and the rain ceases sharpish :D

Associate
val.png

Remnants of a copper mine savagely attacked at night by a Troll and a bunch of Dwares, brutes and Shamans :(

Was a scary nights work :D

Soldato
not yet. what issues are u having?
I fixed it. I went into system32/drivers. I deleted uaspstor.sys and then copied USBSTOR.sys and renamed it to uaspstor.sys. That let me run windows on my SSD plugged into usb 3.

I did the assembly_valheim.dll edits on both the server and local machines to help speed it up. Wow can’t believe it is working and it is so smooth now. Got the server set up and have 3 people logging into it later. I’ve heard people running 6 people on a Pi server without issues.

Associate
Is it just me but when playing this I get about 40fps and my gpu is at around 75c but playing a game like kingdom come with everything on high I get a steady 60fps and my gpu is at a steady 60 to 62c at 1080p

I've got a r5 3600 cpu
Amd 5600 xt gpu
32gig ram 3600mhz

Associate
Is it just me but when playing this I get about 40fps and my gpu is at around 75c but playing a game like kingdom come with everything on high I get a steady 60fps and my gpu is at a steady 60 to 62c at 1080p

I've got a r5 3600 cpu
Amd 5600 xt gpu
32gig ram 3600mhz

Its an early access game, performance will not be optimised.

Turn shadows down one or two notches, that should give you a reasonable boost.

Associate

I've got a r5 3600 cpu
Amd 5600 xt gpu
32gig ram 3600mhz

This gave me a decent boost (5700xt)

Soldato
Im using it and im not sure how far you are in, but i find it useful given some of the tight spots ive been in.

But if you are a bit tight on bronze you could wait.

Cheers. I have killed the first boss and am in the Black Forest. I am taking my time with this game so not sure when I’ll go kill the second boss. I have 30 bronze bars so I may just make the armour because I can.

Associate
Cheers. I have killed the first boss and am in the Black Forest. I am taking my time with this game so not sure when I’ll go kill the second boss. I have 30 bronze bars so I may just make the armour because I can.

Similar to me then, im fully entrenched in the black forest atm, got my full base with everything running and them venture out to setup mine shafts.

I find it useful to have it as at night the troll arrives with a giant log... shamans, brutes and a load of those dwarve things. Gets a bit hairy at times especially when the stamina bottoms out,so im assuming those extra hitpoints must be helping me :D

Associate
BTW whoever it was that brought this game to the forum, I want to shake you by the neck, 8hrs just shot by after I sat down to try the bloody game

Back
Top Bottom