• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

todays price hike on 30 series stuff?

Soldato
Going rate for 3060 Ti FE on eBay now seems to be £850-£900, with sealed ones going for even more. By comparison, OCUK is still cheap.

Genuinely get more and more tempted to just sell up as each day goes past. Could probably flog the GPU on Facebook for £800 without much hassle. Then maybe another £350-£400 for the rest of the system. Add on the £680 my 5700 XT went for a few weeks ago and that would be £2k from selling up (keeping the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.). An Xbox is only £450...

Soldato
If people didn't pay these prices then they couldn't charge them

This is it in a nutshell. Just get out, PC gaming isn't all that - I could easily spend my time on a decent box set or some DIY project. I seriously doubt I'll bother upgrading my current system. The reputation of the industry is rock bottom as far as I'm concerned, and that's before I even get started on the software side and the crap that they're churning out.

The irony is that the mods in the MM have far higher standards than the shop when it comes to profiteering :p

Soldato
So glad I bailed PC gaming and bought an X. Have never been happier with gaming.

I came so close. I had an Xbox & PS5 pre-ordered and actually delivered to the house and ended up selling them to friends as I had managed to pick up the 3080FE in September. If I hadn't managed it then, I doubt that I would have been glued to the Discord channels and other stuff that people are using.

The thought has crossed my mind to sell up my current system but I just CBA running the eBay gauntlet trying to sell such high value items. I put a GTX950 on there 2 weeks ago and it sold for £70 only for eBay to cancel the sale due to issues with the buyer. I'd rather leave my kit gather dust than encourage that racket.

Associate
Strange considering how strong the £ is getting, imagine it was still only getting $1.2. Amazing how it only works one way :).

I was really hoping to upgrade having skipped gtx1080 and the joke rtx2000 series. Now just as something reasonable lands this happens.

Cba with it. Mugs paying these prices.

Stick with what u have, sure its fine. I'm still on 980ti and still doing great. I'll wait till next round of cards. Hopefully it will be more sensible by then.

Edit- just checked the prices. Really shameful gouging. Not impressed. But don't buy, simples!

Soldato
Another that's bailed, sold all my pc gear and bought a Series X and absolutely loving it, wish I did it last year when it was launched for the money it's an amazing bit of kit

Permabanned
This.

Back when the 1070 and 1080 came out, Gibbo did a really good deal on a couple of 1070 cards and I snapped that right up. It was a great price and I genuinely had the feeling he was looking after forum members by giving us a decent heads up and also giving free or very cheap delivery to forum members. Obviously in the current climate I wouldn't expect him to be doing anything like that.

But what I also wouldn't expect is how far the other way this seems to have gone at OCUK, too far the other way. I get that they're a business, but why such higher prices than anywhere else?

You used to pay a LITTLE extra for good customer service and now its a lot extra for phones that ring and are never answered, web forms that just get ignored and orders that are still sat there unprocessed after a week. Everyone else are doing and have done next day shipping throughout the whole of the last year. Youre basically just expected to pay extra here...just because.

I used to buy everything through OCUK but didnt buy a single part of my new 100% from scratch build. Just does not sit right anymore.

Caporegime
Another that's bailed, sold all my pc gear and bought a Series X and absolutely loving it, wish I did it last year when it was launched for the money it's an amazing bit of kit
I'm only upgrading now (minus GPU, that's just not happening) because I have no idea how much longer my 2500K will keep running :p

Not even worried about games, just need a working PC :p

Will pick up a PS5 at some point and just pass on any PC game which needs more GPU grunt than a Vega 56. That Vega 56 may even be the last PC GPU I ever buy :p

Soldato
I'm only upgrading now (minus GPU, that's just not happening) because I have no idea how much longer my 2500K will keep running :p

Not even worried about games, just need a working PC :p

Will pick up a PS5 at some point and just pass on any PC game which needs more GPU grunt than a Vega 56. That Vega 56 may even be the last PC GPU I ever buy :p

It was a Vega 56 I was running, sold for £430

A Series X is £450

It really is a joke, the Xbox is superior to my old pc in every way and to match it you would have to spend triple the money or more on a pc, it's not justifiable anymore consoles have caught up, are better in some ways and massively cheaper.

I couldn't think of one reason to keep my pc over a console, even the keyboard and mouse argument that I've clinged onto for many years doesn't hold anymore

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Glad your enjoying it, that's what its all about! Best thing about the consoles is they are value PC's in a dedicated box which will run the games very well and you wont fear of having to scale back settings.

If I didnt get my current card I had targeted the PS5 and even that got delayed, absolutely best to get in early it seems nowadays because if there's shortages your in for scalping or just waiting ages to get what you want.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Once the Covid impact on supply vanishes, and if/when mining isn't as profitable then they will have to bring prices down. With no Miners and no scalpers the demand will not be there, .

Sorry but by the time your scenario happens there will be 40 series cards kicking it off all again. Your talking autumn till there is any settling and thats if theres no second/third/fourth waves or variants locking countries down all over the globe. Recession vacuum also to look forward to...

Soldato
So glad I bailed PC gaming and bought an X. Have never been happier with gaming.
It's fine if you mainly play the latest AAA games and not much else, but I could never go back to console myself. Your choices are just so limited. I can go from playing World of Warcraft to Cyberpunk 2077 to Super Mario Odyssey via Yuzu to a random old game from 15 years ago that I suddenly felt like playing (which was FlatOut 2 today) with just a few clicks on PC. There are so few massive console exclusives these days either, with everything Microsoft do coming to PC and even Sony starting to port things over. The current hardware situation sucks, but as a platform it's just so far ahead of the console walled gardens for me.

Man of Honour
Yeah then there is all the modding, etc. and I still don't find the keyboard and mouse experience on console even remotely close to PC.

Soldato
The cards pay for themselves within 6-12 months at the current crypto/mining rates, even at the massively increased card prices. I think that says it all.

The other day when BTC was at $57000 projections showed a 3090 paying for itself inside 5 months. Demand will remain sky high until this phase of cryto dies down. It could be for the whole year. It could crash tomorrow. It's highly volatile. This isn't just scalpers like with the new consoles. It's gamers and miners combining creating such high demand that scalpers then add to it. It's a continuous circle of competition. Demand for tech like this has never seen such demand with such short supply due to current climate. It's best to sit the 30XX series out and not worry about it. If you luck out and get one then cool.

Soldato
Once the Covid impact on supply vanishes, and if/when mining isn't as profitable then they will have to bring prices down. With no Miners and no scalpers the demand will not be there, question is though will people still go back to the retailers that have jacked up the prices in the good times! I know I will just stick to the rainforest or fe cards in the future if I do think about getting back into PC gaming. I am currently happy with the PS5., might even look at getting an xbox down the line, will prob be cheaper to buy both consoles then get a good gaming gpu.

The same forest have a 3090 on sale for £3500. They're not completely innocent

Associate
Sorry but by the time your scenario happens there will be 40 series cards kicking it off all again. Your talking autumn till there is any settling and thats if theres no second/third/fourth waves or variants locking countries down all over the globe. Recession vacuum also to look forward to...
I didn't say it was going to happen any time soon, I agree with you though we do not know when we will get out of this mess.

The same forest have a 3090 on sale for £3500. They're not completely innocent
Most of the crazy prices are from 3rd party sellers, the ones I have seen so far have been reasonably priced given current climate, but getting hold of one is another matter.

Back
Top Bottom