Nvidia 30X0 series waterblocks

Associate
So i just mounted the barrow block on my msi ventus 3080 oc, was a little bit harder than i imagined. This is my first time doing this.
edit* added some pictures from my phone for anyone thats interested in this block and how it looks.

BElFlHR.jpg
HEMxVoO.png

Last edited:
Associate
Mostly not having a manual.. They didnt include one specific for this block, just a general one for all their blocks. So i missed a screw that was attached under the backplate. so i had to take it apart after the first fitting :p

Soldato
Be careful a chap on another forum think the EVGA one had a card die with either a barrow block or byski. I came close to ordering barrow until I read that, have a preorder in for Alphacool now.

Associate
Be careful a chap on another forum think the EVGA one had a card die with either a barrow block or byski. I came close to ordering barrow until I read that, have a preorder in for Alphacool now.

Did he say what it died of? I guess it could only be improper cooling of certain components? Or did it actually leak?

Soldato
Is it me or does that barrow block seem to not have any contact from the block with the inductors on the right and left Seems very different to my full founders 3090 bitspower waterblock which has contact with everything.

Edit: Just checked the ek and bitspower equivalent blocks for that model and they both have contact with those parts so not sure why the barrow block doesn't. Given how hot these can run I'd be concerned on longevity with no cooling to those parts. They definitely have contact with cooling on the stock solutions so odd the block would omit that.

Associate

I did see a couple of horror stories about the Bykski block not making proper contact as well as one who knocked off one of the small chips off the back. Was from Reddit if I remember correctly :(

Not seen anything about the Barrow. Any chance you could get a link, if you can remember where? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't break but not recommended due to install difficulties:

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3220652&fp=4

Byski first time doing a GPU bricked his card:
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

Some are happy to provide both sides of the coin so to speak:

'I have installed the same Barrow block on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra and it works perfectly. The work quality is flawless. And the performance matches the numbers I see people using Alphacool and EK - blocks.'-EVGA forums

Associate

Ahh I remember very well reading that post - and was one of the reasons why I cancelled my order for the same block! Wasn't going to take the chance and it didn't look that good either. I would have loved to get either an Optimus, Alphacool or EKWB but they were rarer than hens teeth at that point (back in January).

Need to get my butt into gear and finish my house decoration then I can get back to playing with hardware :D

Associate
Didn't break but not recommended due to install difficulties:

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3220652&fp=4

Byski first time doing a GPU bricked his card:
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

Some are happy to provide both sides of the coin so to speak:

'I have installed the same Barrow block on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra and it works perfectly. The work quality is flawless. And the performance matches the numbers I see people using Alphacool and EK - blocks.'-EVGA forums
Thanks for the heads up. Been gaming on this card for a couple of hours and temps are about 15c lower than the stock cooler, so im happy. I Will be watching closely tho.

Associate
ICX is that a monitoring program or a specific temp i need to monitor? :p i can only find icx mentioned on evga cards (ihave a msi card).
*edit from what i can tell from MSI afterburner its lowest (idle) is 32c and highest is 61c, ambient room temp i 22c.

Last edited:
Associate
Got a restocking date from EKWB of 5th March for my 3090 FE water block order! Not long to go.

Has anyone seen or heard anything more on the active back plate for the 3090 FE they announced a month ago? They said release end of February but I haven't heard a whisper since.

Soldato
Got a restocking date from EKWB of 5th March for my 3090 FE water block order! Not long to go.

Has anyone seen or heard anything more on the active back plate for the 3090 FE they announced a month ago? They said release end of February but I haven't heard a whisper since.

Nice to hear on date of the block was close to messaging them to ask, ordered pretty quick when they went up and early March seemed like date given so fingers crossed.

Though when did they say released end of Feb for active 3090FE backplate? That does not seem correct at all given earliest date the 3090FE block in itself was being produced to go out would be start of march, unless you mean showcased? Gut feel says you will be waiting a couple of months. All that said, I do not think VRM temps will be an actual issue once the EK block is applied, will be in a more reasonable range if other waterblock temps are anything to go by.

Associate
Nice to hear on date of the block was close to messaging them to ask, ordered pretty quick when they went up and early March seemed like date given so fingers crossed.

Though when did they say released end of Feb for active 3090FE backplate? That does not seem correct at all given earliest date the 3090FE block in itself was being produced to go out would be start of march, unless you mean showcased? Gut feel says you will be waiting a couple of months. All that said, I do not think VRM temps will be an actual issue once the EK block is applied, will be in a more reasonable range if other waterblock temps are anything to go by.

Earlier in the week I was told restocking was 4th March but I got an email last night saying the silver water block was delayed until 5th March (I have a black and silver on my order so it seems 4th may still be good for black). I also ordered as soon as they announced it.

As regards the backplate, in their last Quantum video where they went into detail about the 3090 FE block, they mentioned that the active backplate would be available to order by end-February. I have this confirmed in writing from their support team as well. True, this doesn't mean it will be in stock but it would be nice to get more details and place 'yet another' pre-order :)

Well I hope EK's regular backplate solution that uses 'hybrid cooling' is better than stock at least. I think it will be but I still expect 90+ degrees during intensive tasks like mining. Under 100 would be considered a win!

Soldato
Earlier in the week I was told restocking was 4th March but I got an email last night saying the silver water block was delayed until 5th March (I have a black and silver on my order so it seems 4th may still be good for black). I also ordered as soon as they announced it.

As regards the backplate, in their last Quantum video where they went into detail about the 3090 FE block, they mentioned that the active backplate would be available to order by end-February. I have this confirmed in writing from their support team as well. True, this doesn't mean it will be in stock but it would be nice to get more details and place 'yet another' pre-order :)

Well I hope EK's regular backplate solution that uses 'hybrid cooling' is better than stock at least. I think it will be but I still expect 90+ degrees during intensive tasks like mining. Under 100 would be considered a win!

Ahhh sorry read it as the block becoming available for sale.

I hope we are still not 90+! I normally sit at 102 degree for mining on memory with 50 something fan speed, would hope to see block reducing temps more then 10 but be neat to see what happens.

Now fun part looks to be pulling this 3090FE apart!

Back
Top Bottom