I've realised that I'm not actually all that bothered on upgrading

Soldato
I love computer stuff, and always at the back of my mind I'm thinking about when I should upgrade my computer to benefit from the latest technology, but recently I have thought I might hold off for 3 to 5 years. My current computer can play games that look good graphically, and my computer has enough CPU power and RAM to do all the development and virtual machine stuff I need to do. So I feel as if an upgrade would be a bit of a waste at the moment.

I'd much rather wait until there is a big change in the PC landscape, such as DDR5 and PCIe 5 coming out to upgrade. That way, I'll get a much faster machine with all the latest tech enabling me to have another computer that will last for about 5 years.

Does anyone else find themselves in this situation at all? Building a new computer takes a lot of money which I'd rather save for other things at the moment.

Associate
I'm largely in the same boat - I only play a handful of older titles so upgrading my machine is unwarranted cost. Sure, it's always nice to have new and shiny but I highly doubt I'd maximise it's potential.

I'll stick to my i5 3470s, 16GB DDR3 and 750ti for now!

Associate
I managed to get a founders edition card and used it for a couple months and sold a few weeks back,
1. After trying a few new games that took advantage of the card I just got bored af of the gameplay of new titles and went back to games that run on a potato
2. the gpu prices went absolutely mad and I sold my 3080 for 1100 lmao

stuck my 2070 super back in and ive noticed no difference tbh since I cap the refresh hz anyway since everything I play is so old, honestly getting a ultrawide monitor was the only worthwhile upgrade ive done, new games give me 0 desire to upgrade

Associate
Personally, it's just my hobby, so just like I'm sure musicians don't need 12 guitars. I probably don't need a 5950x (I don't actually have one yet but I will soon), it is fun to play and tinker.

Associate
I know what you mean, whilst I look and follow the latest tech for the sake of it being the latest tech and its interesting. If I ask myself do I need that latest stuff to do anything that my current machine cant do, the answer is a resounding no. So much so in fact, that i'm even considering downsizing the current setup because I just don't need/use the power in it. Gaming is falling by the wayside for me.

My son's PC is a 2400G ryzen setup and its fab for his needs, and I feel it would do me just fine too. If I could easily get an eight core Ryzen APU at the moment, I'd happily switch.

Soldato
I'm at the point where my pc isn't quite keeping up with what I want to do and I had planned to upgrade at the start of the year..... well that isn't happening and I'm now likely holding off until 'next year' when the next batch of 'new stuff' comes out...

I'm not stupid enough to pay the current prices, I refuse to pay scalpers and I'm not a fan of things being over rrp due to 'demand', and I just can't buy all the bits to make a full pc anyway... it's just completely daft, you don't need high end pc's (I'm after a machine for 3D design) to do office work from home.

Soldato
I used to upgrade my pc regularly years ago. Not now though. Last upgrade was from i5 broadwell to 1st gen Ryzen last year. Board, RAM & CPU were all bought 2nd hand. other bits (SSD,HDD,GPU, cooler, case & fans) either bought from new & reused or bought new this time round. It's for day to day use & not that much power required so older hardware bought cheaply suits me. The broadwell was starting to show its age & the Ryzen barely ticks over in Linux hence the change. I do have another PC for W10 use when I need it though.

Associate
sadly my i5-6600 is struggling on multi player shooting games damn you lack of threads and my rx5700 just bottlenecks

but otherwise she is fine and there would be no reason for an upgrade as everything else plays like a dream

Soldato
Does anyone else find themselves in this situation at all? Building a new computer takes a lot of money which I'd rather save for other things at the moment.

Yup. I was all set for a 5900 plus 3080 Super but the stupidly expensive prices have made it infeasible, I have a 2080 Ti which is good enough, and I just haven't clicked with new games.

Associate
Yup. I was all set for a 5900 plus 3080 Super but the stupidly expensive prices have made it infeasible, I have a 2080 Ti which is good enough, and I just haven't clicked with new games.

I do in cycles lots and recently its been solo grand strat games like crusader kings 3

maybe I should try red dead redemption or something of the ilk

Back
Top Bottom