Boom radio for we boomers!

Soldato
Just heard about this station, the thread will probably be pushed elsewhere but we boomers of 60 to 75 years old have a radio station aimed just at us. Playing predominantly 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's tracks. I think that radio 2 is now trying for a younger audience

Chill out and have a listen, download the app or look for it on DAB if it plays in your area currently.

Caporegime
Just heard about this station, the thread will probably be pushed elsewhere but we boomers of 60 to 75 years old have a radio station aimed just at us. Playing predominantly 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's tracks. I think that radio 2 is now trying for a younger audience

Chill out and have a listen, download the app or look for it on DAB if it plays in your area currently.
I stopped listening to broadcast radio years ago, because all the DJs are annoying as **** :p

Endless chatter and half of them think they're God's gift to comedy. No thanks :p

Just make a playlist from all the stuff on YouTube (or whatever service you prefer) and enjoy not having to put up with the "bants" :p

Caporegime
Radio Jackie is where it's at. Best radio station in London, hands down.

I enjoy Magic on the morning commute however, Ronan Keating is entertaining.

Soldato
OP
I stopped listening to broadcast radio years ago, because all the DJs are annoying as **** :p

Endless chatter and half of them think they're God's gift to comedy. No thanks :p

Just make a playlist from all the stuff on YouTube (or whatever service you prefer) and enjoy not having to put up with the "bants" :p
I have play lists on Spotify and I listen to a few of their "Prewrapped radio" stations however there is a difference. I do not know off hand all the music to add to a play list and unless it is very long, it does not bear much repetition of listening. The Prewrapped (my description) also seem limiting.

A proper DJ playing good tracks with minimal "bant" is the ideal and so far I am pleasantly surprised by track selection and sparing announcements on Boom.

Caporegime
A proper DJ playing good tracks with minimal "bant" is the ideal and so far I am pleasantly surprised by track selection and sparing announcements on Boom.
Never found one matching that description.

Local commercial radio stations are packed full of adverts (super annoying, seriously more adverts than music a lot of the time).

BBC radio stations have no commercials but endless DJ chatter. Anyway I better go post in another thread or I'll end up upsetting @Em3bbs :p

Soldato
We Have an ipad at work connected to company speakers and it's pot look who selects a station plus some sad Managerial hierarchy squabbles, worst case scenario is a dance music station or radio 1, we end up with heart sometimes but I'm fine with radio 2.
Tbh I don't like been stuck in one Decade or limited set of decades, I like to hear new stuff and a selection of good tracks (not necessarily popular ones) from the past without dwelling there too long

Last edited:
Commissario
Radio Jackie is where it's at. Best radio station in London, hands down.
Radio Jackie is still going? Wow!

Radio Caroline Flashback is another decent one which is a spinoff from the official Radio Caroline (yes, that's still going as well) which I've had on in the office for the last few days. It's an automated music mix in the mornings and then real people in the afternoon and evening but good music, little waffle and hardly any adverts at all.

Man of Honour
I like Absolute 80's and Absolute Rock during the week but the adverts suck. Weekends are pants because people such as Frank Skinner who I detest do more talking about rubbish than playing music. We are pretty limited to what we can pick up on DAB in the car up here.

Capodecina
Soldato
I like Absolute 80's and Absolute Rock during the week but the adverts suck. Weekends are pants because people such as Frank Skinner who I detest do more talking about rubbish than playing music. We are pretty limited to what we can pick up on DAB in the car up here.

This is why I only listen to Radio 3 or Spotify Premium. I detest adverts, especially radio adverts with jingles or those which try to be 'funny'.

Commissario
I like Absolute 80's and Absolute Rock during the week but the adverts suck.
I've not listened to Absolute Rock but 80s has quite a limited playlist - I know they say that they don't repeat the same thing during the day but you get the same songs the next day, and the day after, and the day after.

I've found there's not a lot of repetition on Caroline Flashback because they don't have a specified playlist, the presenters can play whatever they want providing it's from the appropriate period and as I said before, there are barely any adverts. To give you an idea, have a shufti at what was played yesterday: https://onlineradiobox.com/uk/carolineflashback/playlist/1?cs=uk.carolineflashback

Man of Honour
I've not listened to Absolute Rock but 80s has quite a limited playlist - I know they say that they don't repeat the same thing during the day but you get the same songs the next day, and the day after, and the day after.

I've found there's not a lot of repetition on Caroline Flashback because they don't have a specified playlist, the presenters can play whatever they want providing it's from the appropriate period and as I said before, there are barely any adverts. To give you an idea, have a shufti at what was played yesterday: https://onlineradiobox.com/uk/carolineflashback/playlist/1?cs=uk.carolineflashback

That's a very good playlist but a shame that we can't get it up here. Just about all we can pick up on the car's DAB radio is all of the Absolute stations, all of the BBC stations and the local MFR which is pants. I expected a lot more from DAB radio.

Back
Top Bottom