• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Soldato
Is the 3090 that bad for gaming? I want/need a new GPU as the 2080 isn't cutting the mustard at 3840x1600 and seeing as 3080s are more common than rocking horse excrement it's pushing me to get a 3090 though it means I'd need to upgrade some other parts (luckily my. 1200w PSU will be fine)

Associate
Is the 3090 that bad for gaming? I want/need a new GPU as the 2080 isn't cutting the mustard at 3840x1600 and seeing as 3080s are more common than rocking horse excrement it's pushing me to get a 3090 though it means I'd need to upgrade some other parts (luckily my. 1200w PSU will be fine)

absolutely NOT bad for gaming!

It is better than the 3080. Yes it costs more but it is better. Don’t hold back, buy what you want.

Associate

I don’t get it when people say that 3090 is bad for gaming. It is expensive and in terms of $/frame ratio it is not the best option. But if you have the dough, going for a 3090 is no brainier for me. You get the best RT, loads of memory, very cool design (I have an FE).

Caporegime
What do you mean with that question... 'is it bad for gaming'? It's the most powerful 'gaming' GPU on the planet. It's just terrible value, especially at the current inflated market prices. If you can find one at MSRP then you would be lucky and it will probably retain value for a good while as I can't see supply improving much during the next months.

Soldato
absolutely NOT bad for gaming!

It is better than the 3080. Yes it costs more but it is better. Don’t hold back, buy what you want.

I don’t get it when people say that 3090 is bad for gaming. It is expensive and in terms of $/frame ratio it is not the best option. But if you have the dough, going for a 3090 is no brainier for me. You get the best RT, loads of memory, very cool design (I have an FE).

What do you mean with that question... 'is it bad for gaming'? It's the most powerful 'gaming' GPU on the planet. It's just terrible value, especially at the current inflated market prices. If you can find one at MSRP then you would be lucky and it will probably retain value for a good while as I can't see supply improving much during the next months.

Yeah I worded that badly. I meant the value proposition over the 3080 is it truly that bad? I'm not overly concerned of the price as I've sold some old bits of hardware so it's only really costing me £300.

Of course I'd rather have the 3080 and the extra change in my pocket but right now obtaining a 3080 seems like looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Edit: Ok, so the new prices on OCUK have priced me out. I was on at £1800, with gritted teeth, but I'm not paying £2000 out of principle

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I worded that badly. I meant the value proposition over the 3080 is it truly that bad? I'm not overly concerned of the price as I've sold some old bits of hardware so it's only really costing me £300.

Of course I'd rather have the 3080 and the extra change in my pocket but right now obtaining a 3080 seems like looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Edit: Ok, so the new prices on OCUK have priced me out. I was on at £1800, with gritted teeth, but I'm not paying £2000 out of principle
I'm sure you can do the basic maths by comparing performance difference vs price difference. :)

Associate
I now regret not clicking the buy now button on a competitors web site in early January. £1,400?(and could have had it next day) WAY too much I thought. Weakened a few weeks ago and bought at £1,800. Still no news on when I can have it. Have I "saved" £200 by doing that. Havent seen the new prices on the web site.

Associate
Looking at prices now a 3090fe is a bargin, some have gone way over 2k now for AIB cards, early adopters would have saved for sure. but at 2k plus they will appeal to miners who will hope to get there cash outlay back, for gamers its a sad state of affairs'

Caporegime
I now regret not clicking the buy now button on a competitors web site in early January. £1,400?(and could have had it next day) WAY too much I thought. Weakened a few weeks ago and bought at £1,800. Still no news on when I can have it. Have I "saved" £200 by doing that. Havent seen the new prices on the web site.
I feel very lucky to have snapped up a customer-returned Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC for £1250... most custom 3080's aren't too much cheaper than that at the moment.

Permabanned
You give me too much credit.

As long as buyers don't have buyers remorse is what I was thinking.

Irrelevant now anyway

I would definitely have buyers remorse while gaming looking at a rig where the gpu costs £2,000 and being kind of pressured into buying it because of the lack of options. That's the cost of a good car ! For a bloody GPU.

I feel very lucky to have snapped up a customer-returned Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC for £1250... most custom 3080's aren't too much cheaper than that at the moment.

Glad your happy. Carry out extensive testing, because if a customer returned it... 3090s suffer from power surge issues so check that. Check for artifacts.

Caporegime
Glad your happy. Carry out extensive testing, because if a customer returned it... 3090s suffer from power surge issues so check that. Check for artifacts.
Thanks, I will. So far no problems and it has a fresh 4 year warranty, so I am not worried. There are various reasons why people return a card.

Associate
Hah, OC have MSI 3090 Suprim in stock for GBP 600 above MSRP :)

Yeah, what's worse, an eBay scalper who is being upfront about ripping you off or a retail store that pretends to care for the consumer? Business is business at the end of the day and this shows retailers in their true light :).

Associate
£2300 for a 3090 Strix :mad::mad::mad: absolute greed from OCUK . Was going to preorder the new I9-11900k from overclockers when released next month but as they are now as bad as any scalper out there will give them a miss thanks and shop at the competition even if I have to wait a little longer . Disgusting behaviour from this company, pretty much trying to take us for mugs :rolleyes:

Associate
£2300 for a 3090 Strix :mad::mad::mad: absolute greed from OCUK . Was going to preorder the new I9-11900k from overclockers when released next month but as they are now as bad as any scalper out there will give them a miss thanks and shop at the competition even if I have to wait a little longer . Disgusting behaviour from this company, pretty much trying to take us for mugs :rolleyes:

The unfortunate reality is they will sell them. At this point the only people buying the cards for those prices are miners because they are the only ones capable of an ROI that makes financial sense. In short, OCUK are selling to miners just like everyone else.

Last edited:
Associate
The unfortunately reality is they will sell them. At this point the only people buying the cards for those prices are miners because they are the only ones capable of an ROI that makes financial sense. In short, OCUK are selling to miners just like everyone else.

Well thy have lost another customer with their disgusting actions... they were more than expensive enough at £1700 ... anyone who is going to pay that price ( even miners ) need to have their head looked at as probably not mentally sane , for just £500 more you will have 2 3090 FE ( Nvidia will happily sell you 2 afaik )which for mining will probably be a little better than the strix.

Associate
Well thy have lost another customer with their disgusting actions... they were more than expensive enough at £1700 ... anyone who is going to pay that price ( even miners ) need to have their head looked at as probably not mentally sane , for just £500 more you will have 2 3090 FE ( Nvidia will happily sell you 2 afaik )which for mining will probably be a little better than the strix.

Andddd they're out of stock. Funny how 10+ immediately went to out of stock. Bulk buying by miners no doubt. What a joke this has become.

Associate
Andddd they're out of stock. Funny how 10+ immediately went to out of stock. Bulk buying by miners no doubt. What a joke this has become.

Tbh I didn't even notice they were in stock , just having a browse and my chin hit the floor when I came across the strix... have overclockers managed to get through all the preorders at last and feel like they weren't expensive enough already and needed more money to fund the new Ferrari 488 :rolleyes:

Associate
Tbh I didn't even notice they were in stock , just having a browse and my chin hit the floor when I came across the strix... have overclockers managed to get through all the preorders at last and feel like they weren't expensive enough already and needed more money to fund the new Ferrari 488 :rolleyes:

Judging by how open Gibbo is about his love for Ferrari, you're probably not far wrong. But, it's their business. It's up to them what they do. Just vote with your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom