BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Yeah, see if you can see how many kerbs it's slid into in it's life. :p

Seriously though, for me, accident damage would be a big one. The earlier ones are known to be very tail happy which translates to people losing control of them. Look for any newer looking suspension components, wheels that have been recut/replaced, tyres that have significantly different manufacturer dates on them, paint variances and panel gap variances.

By earlier ones, which years, and what changed?

Don
Ignore any talk about crank hub failure, if it happens it happens it's not worth spending thousands on a problem you will likely never have.

As the car [15 reg] is out of warranty shove a BM3 GTS transmission remap on it, it fixes all of the low end surging the pre-lci cars suffered from.

speaking of mapping, check the sports displays in idrive, if they show 640hp it's been mapped (standard is 480hp)

but those aside it's a fairly decent car, items I would spec, HK audio, full leather, 360 camera, DCT gearbox, icon lights (or full adaptive pre lci). Ceramic brakes, 763m wheels and the MPE exhaust are also fairly nice, but not essential.

overrated options, HUD, road sign camera, lane departure, collision detection, blind spot detection, comfort access,

Soldato
Now I didn't know, have been looking at replacing the battery as I thought it was low.

Wonder how a hard wired dashcam with cutoff would cope with the base voltage only being 12.4v?

ok so long as it cuts off. Once your engine is started, the alternator provides power and charges the battery.

12.4v is ok, about 60% charged. Enough for use, but not fully charged.

Soldato
Get one that’s easy to sell on for when you want your E92 back :p

Lol, i've had it over 3 years and had one in a manual before that for a year so definitely due a change, I will definitely miss the noise though!

Yeah, see if you can see how many kerbs it's slid into in it's life. :p

Seriously though, for me, accident damage would be a big one. The earlier ones are known to be very tail happy which translates to people losing control of them. Look for any newer looking suspension components, wheels that have been recut/replaced, tyres that have significantly different manufacturer dates on them, paint variances and panel gap variances.
Ignore any talk about crank hub failure, if it happens it happens it's not worth spending thousands on a problem you will likely never have.

As the car [15 reg] is out of warranty shove a BM3 GTS transmission remap on it, it fixes all of the low end surging the pre-lci cars suffered from.

speaking of mapping, check the sports displays in idrive, if they show 640hp it's been mapped (standard is 480hp)

but those aside it's a fairly decent car, items I would spec, HK audio, full leather, 360 camera, DCT gearbox, icon lights (or full adaptive pre lci). Ceramic brakes, 763m wheels and the MPE exhaust are also fairly nice, but not essential.

overrated options, HUD, road sign camera, lane departure, collision detection, blind spot detection, comfort access,

Thankyou very much for the advice!

Associate
Lol, i've had it over 3 years and had one in a manual before that for a year so definitely due a change, I will definitely miss the noise though!

Thankyou very much for the advice!

If it has been mapped its defo worth having a look at the crank hub fix. I saw some statistics over on another site regarding mapped S55s and crank hub failures. They were not very comforting.

Soldato
If it has been mapped its defo worth having a look at the crank hub fix. I saw some statistics over on another site regarding mapped S55s and crank hub failures. They were not very comforting.

I'll certainly have a look in the iDrive like Will Gill suggested to see if there is any evidence of this.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't really read up on the crank issue.. Is it a common issue? I spent a lot of time reading up on the S65 rod bearings apparent issue but never changed them, covered over 50k in 2 e92's and never had any issues ( being mechanically sympathetic probably helped)

Associate
I'll certainly have a look in the iDrive like Will Gill suggested to see if there is any evidence of this.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't really read up on the crank issue.. Is it a common issue? I spent a lot of time reading up on the S65 rod bearings apparent issue but never changed them, covered over 50k in 2 e92's and never had any issues ( being mechanically sympathetic probably helped)

More common in mapped cars, to the point I wouldn't map one with out the fix personally. Stock you should be fine

Don
More common in mapped cars, to the point I wouldn't map one with out the fix personally. Stock you should be fine

It incredibly unlikely to affect a manual, unless you decide to go from 6th to 1st, it's potentially caused by a torque surge during kickdown on a DCT.

@StonedPenguin, carry on with your quest, and do your own research into it, but it's equally as unlikely as the rod bearing issue, which hovers around the 1% mark last time I looked into it.

If after carrying out your due diligence, it still concerns you and you fancy dumping 2k on a preventative maintenance, then it certainly gives you peace of mind.

Man of Honour
Put a deposit on a BMW AUC 2014 730d M Sport, Black Sapphire/Ivory leather/Anthracite wood with a few options, 40k miles.

Even now I think the F10 5 Series stacks up brilliantly against the newer models, and my favourite aspects of it come from the 7, so I thought sod it!

Collecting this weekend hopefully.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That sounds lovely in that colour combo, these can still look really smart if in good condition and the right spec :)

Soldato
Appreciate this might not go well in a BMW thread but I'm considering changing my F31 330D to a hybrid.

My usual weeky driving doesn't involve me travelling particuarly far.

I do like the G21 330e but, and this is where things probably fall apart, I really like the Volvo V60 Polestar Hybrid.

Would it really be as daft as I think it would be to get the Volvo over the BM :)

Don
Peasant, expect lashes, tar and feathers. :mad:

Hand back in your fast lane card and pick up your indicators on the way out.

(I think it's a fine idea having seen the recent offerings from the swedes)

Associate
So had my F11 535D coming up two weeks now. Loving it so far, thought I'd check the new tyres the dealer put on then. Turns out they are Accelera PHI at around £60 a corner :(. They're clearly **** tyres but as the car is new to me I don't know what I'm missing out on when it comes to decent tyres. Is it worth sticking with them or spending £650 on four new tyres? I've not noticed anything like excessive wheel spinning, traction control kicking in randomly or a feeling of the car being out of control. As I'm new to the car this is always how I've known it but I'm fully aware I should be running much better tyres.

Soldato
Soldato
Could probably get some £ back for the old ones, or keep one as a spare tyre (although probably useless as you would have to get it fitted somewhere). Maybe get a spare wheel/alloy and stick it in the garage if you have room

Man of Honour
So had my F11 535D coming up two weeks now. Loving it so far, thought I'd check the new tyres the dealer put on then. Turns out they are Accelera PHI at around £60 a corner :(. They're clearly **** tyres but as the car is new to me I don't know what I'm missing out on when it comes to decent tyres. Is it worth sticking with them or spending £650 on four new tyres?

It's worth spending the money on decent tyres. Absolutely no point buying a decent powerful car and then compromising it like that. Stick 4 Pilot Sport 4 on it and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom