• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you sell a GPU on ebay now?

Soldato
I've sold a lot of graphics card on Ebay over the years and have actually never had a problem (though I did have a scammer buy a RAM kit from me once). I think the one I was most worried about at the time was when the buyer for an R9 290X turned out to be in Mexico, but I shipped it over and everything went just fine. That was around the time of the first mining boom, so I guess it probably ended up in a mining farm.

Soldato
I think Ebay is ok but you have to be real careful and list things as parts not working no returns, that way you are covered if the buyer try's to scam. Also explain why its listed that way to stop scammer's.

the problem is, if you list things up as parts only then you get much much less for it, so you may as well just sell somewhere as cash on collection and get more money anyway

Associate
I sold my 980ti recently without issue.

I know it was working fine so if the buyer had an issue or tries to scam in some way claiming its my fault what can eBay do to me I have the money?

They can’t force me to refund the buyer.

Associate
If the transaction was done via Paypal, they can just take the money out of your account, even if that leaves you with a negative balance.

No they can’t, all they can do is request PayPal put a hold on your account but if the money isn’t there then what good does that do?

This is potentially an issue for Shops and people running a more business like service but for people who occasionally sell a few items its basically a non-issue unless they just leave money accumulating in their PayPal account instead of transferring it out to say a bank account.

Soldato

I know it was working fine so if the buyer had an issue or tries to scam in some way claiming its my fault what can eBay do to me I have the money?

your Paypal account will go negative and you won't be able to use Paypal until its cleared, pretty sure they can put it on your credit score as well

I'd rather keep my Paypal account, so just don't sell high priced items on ebay

Associate
your Paypal account will go negative and you won't be able to use Paypal until its cleared, pretty sure they can put it on your credit score as well

I'd rather keep my Paypal account, so just don't sell high priced items on ebay

You can have more than one PayPal account ;) but yes as you said don’t sell high value items on eBay via PayPal is the morale of the story. My point though is they can’t force you to refund, and actually what it is they try to do is shift the liability even for fraud on to you.... How you protect yourself is being in a position to walk away if you feel the dispute process has failed you and the PayPal seller protection isn’t doing its job.

Soldato
How you protect yourself is being in a position to walk away if you feel the dispute process has failed you and the PayPal seller protection isn’t doing its job.

But who wants to be in a position of a bank (Paypal) selling your debt to a collection agency and having a default mark put on your credit rating? "Walking away" from debt (however it was accrued) has never been a good idea.

Soldato
You can have more than one PayPal account ;) but yes as you said don’t sell high value items on eBay via PayPal is the morale of the story. My point though is they can’t force you to refund, and actually what it is they try to do is shift the liability even for fraud on to you.... How you protect yourself is being in a position to walk away if you feel the dispute process has failed you and the PayPal seller protection isn’t doing its job.
Paypal will pass your details on to a debt collection agency if you leave an account in the red and try to just ignore it. You can of course try to ignore that as well, but it's a long and winding road of constant hassle with a potential CCJ and ruined credit history at the end of it.

Associate
Nothing at all gets sold on eBay anymore. If its high value like audio equipment. It goes on places like the WAM or HiFi fore sale. And low value tat that used to get sold on eBay now either gets left outside the local charity shop or the bin . I sometimes use Facebook marketplace. But they all seam to be from Estonia or Afghanistan if you go by their names these days ,so will only give my Address out to people that do not need to cross an International date line. I don't know about you but i feel uneasy giving my address out to some dodgy sounding random?

Soldato

they aren't entirely stupid when people register with the same name and address and possibly even bank account, that just changing your email address makes you a "new person"

unfortunately its all part of the terms and conditions you signed up to when you use Paypal, they don't hide it, the easiest thing is to just not accept Paypal payments and do cash on collection only - you can also do this via ebay

as others have said, you agreed to paypals terms and conditions, paypal don't have to prove you weren't scammed, they only have to prove they acted within their terms and conditions and that you owe them money, its up to you to go after the scammer

Last edited:
Soldato

Oh yeah they can, they'll put your account into negative balance then threaten you with debt collection if you don't return the balance to zero. I had it right before xmas. They didnt want to see any evidence or anything. They just refunded the buyer. Ebay is set up for small & large business now. Joe bloggs selling the odd item they don't want nor care about. FB market place or something else. Ebay is now just access to smaller shops on one platform.

Permabanned
Oh yeah they can, they'll put your account into negative balance then threaten you with debt collection if you don't return the balance to zero. I had it right before xmas. They didnt want to see any evidence or anything. They just refunded the buyer. Ebay is set up for small & large business now. Joe bloggs selling the odd item they don't want nor care about. FB market place or something else. Ebay is now just access to smaller shops on one platform.
I guess it’s easier for them don’t need so many employees spending time on lengthy disputes.

Soldato

Can’t they just do this even if you took cash?

Soldato
Can’t they just do this even if you took cash?

Dunno mate, I've been wondering the same myself since I got stung. as I see many doing cash or BACS only now. Maybe those people don't have a paypal account.

I guess it’s easier for them don’t need so many employees spending time on lengthy disputes.

Oh you'd be surprised, seems they have loads of them, a different bod for each reply not reading or comprehending any supplies. Even referred to me as doing a great business and I should accept a percentage of loss like any other business. I have pages of replies and they contradict themselves too. It's almost like they were just making anything up and drawing stuff out whilst making no sense to what they were replying to. If it was an exam question they may have gotten 1 mark from an available 12. All sdhipped out to foreign centres trained into boring you to death until you go away or give up. :D

I was all about to go down the small claims route for the 1080ti I sold for £350 and sold it as untested spares or repair and it went for £232. The fees for small claims made it unworthy.

If you want to get rid of something then get on specific FB groups or forums and sell in their for sale sections. Of the things i have sold recently if you look at the buyer - many have never sold anything so they have no feedback to lose and once ebay have sided with the buyer - you cant leave feedback.

All companies or good ideas once they get big, go to ruin or morph into something else. I try for the most part shop locally or private businesses which in fact what ebay is good for, hence why I say it's aimed at businesses now.

Permabanned
Things have changed. I remember many years ago I purchased a pc through eBay and long story short it turned out to be a scam. Got £150 back though buyers protection and that was it. I didn’t use eBay for a long time after that.

Back
Top Bottom