Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Possibly. Just seems odd as it's not like they sell stronger clips. Wonder if the Mirafit ones would increase that by a chunk. I'm not aiming for large weight but i still don't want them dropping in my face!

Also seems like Mirafit have left TCB. Shame as that was a decent 10% discount in the past!

Soldato
I've had a reasonable amount of weight on each side of the Mirafit ones, though I have the short sleeve version which artificially limits how many plates I can fit on them anyway. But 2 of the pretty chunky 5kg hex weights on each side were fine - and that even meant the collars were only 2/3rds covering the sleeve!!

Soldato
I've put 6 x 5kg plates (2cm thick each) on the Mirafit short-handle Oly DBs. The bit of the collar that actually clamps to the sleeve doesn't run the whole length of it, just the middle, so as long as most of that's still in contact you're good.

Permabanned
Just picked up some raw steel adjustable DB's. Can anyone recommend a decent anti rust spray I can use to coat them? Everything's in the conservatory and it can get pretty damp at the moment.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just picked up some raw steel adjustable DB's. Can anyone recommend a decent anti rust spray I can use to coat them? Everything's in the conservatory and it can get pretty damp at the moment.

What about a dehumidifier? Mine is doing wonders in my log cabin, no condensation since it's been put in there.

Permabanned
What about a dehumidifier? Mine is doing wonders in my log cabin, no condensation since it's been put in there.

That's a great idea actually! Budgets pretty low for the next few months however so will have to see if I can pick one up cheap...

Isn't this what WD40 is actually meant to be used for?

I thought that was just to be used to remove rust, not prevent it? Have no idea though to be honest.

Soldato
I thought that was just to be used to remove rust, not prevent it? Have no idea though to be honest.

I may be wrong, but I think it's actual intension is prevention - "Water Displacement #40" - it just happens to also be good at breaking rust down after-the-fact and slightly lubricating stuff. I imagine a small amount of it rubbed on with a cloth would act as a good rust barrier (but be careful what you put it on as it'll make things slippery)

On the topic of dehumidifiers - our little long serving one is horribly noisy and makes little difference to the humidty. So thinking of killing 2 birds with one stone and getting this:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/sf8000e/amcor-sf8000e

Then borrowing a diamond core drill to properly route the exhaust hose through an extractor plate in the garage wall, as it gets really hot in there in the summer! And it can act as a dehumidifier as well - I'll do another hose hole at the bottom of the wall so it has continuous drainage and I don't have to empty it. Still deliberating

Man of Honour
https://againfaster.eu/es/blogpost/barbell-maintenance.html

Pretty standard guidance on barbell care which will be applicable to DBs. WD40 can indeed be used. I haven't bothered since my dehumidifier keeps the humidity below the point that rust would form (in my lifetime anyway). Pipe goes outside and I've found the sweet spot that keeps the humidity low, without the unit being on all the time - I have a separate monitor since the unit itself seems to be pretty inaccurate at reading the humidity (the irony is not lost on me).

Permabanned
I think the main issue I'm going to have is rust prevention on the handles. I can imagine anything I'm going to use spray wise is going to make them slicker...

Man of Honour
I think the main issue I'm going to have is rust prevention on the handles. I can imagine anything I'm going to use spray wise is going to make them slicker...
I came to the same conclusion, that's why I picked up a dehumidifier.

Indeed. When my bar was new it arrived covered in oil. It's not particularly helpful for grip. Dehumidifier avoids this. Nearly a year down the line, no rust.

Back
Top Bottom