Starlink - anyone using it?

Soldato
Soldato
Reliability, latency and quality in general is going to be poor, certainly in it's infancy. It's priority is to get those in remote areas connected, i'd certainly prefer a low-level FTTC connection if available, over Starlink.

Soldato
OP
Reliability, latency and quality in general is going to be poor, certainly in it's infancy. It's priority is to get those in remote areas connected, i'd certainly prefer a low-level FTTC connection if available, over Starlink.

Yes, it looks that way but I just thought it had potential. I'd love to have an alternative over BT, they won't invest a penny while they're the only show in town.

Soldato
Yes, it looks that way but I just thought it had potential. I'd love to have an alternative over BT, they won't invest a penny while they're the only show in town.

I'm with you there. I have a 32-34mb maxed on FTTC, given my location on the outskirts of a small nowhere town, I doubt I'm getting an upgrade for another 5 years.

Man of Honour
Got an email the other day saying it's available in my area. For ~£500 a year it just really isn't realistic at the moment. I totally dig the technology though and I am an enormous SpaceX fan so I wish it were cheaper just so I could have the excuse to be honest. Internet here limited to either ADSL2 or a fixed point:point 4g last mile solution slapped together by the local authority decided to go with I stead if pushing FTTC/P everywhere. I'm a bit apprehensive about that option tbh, and I'm super super bitter than the houses opposite, as well as the one two doors down have Virgin Media, while we definitely don't.

Permabanned
Christ :| I missed the service charge part! At ~£130 a month it really is onlyfor people who want to pay for SpaceX's R&D, or who have somehow absolutely no other option.

It's not for anyone who has a normal job that's for sure. Well they will be intro prices. I think once the people who can afford it and people like farms get it or really rural areas then the price should drop.

Man of Honour
We've signed up for it but looks like still ~4 months until available here. With only 30Mbit FTTC and 4G about same speed we are exploring all options we can.

Soldato
The fact that it only costs £89 per month is pretty amazing. An old friend of mine lives in rural Wales ( which part isn't?) And his option is 2Mbps ADSL, or 4-8Mbps 4G. He wanted to run his business from his converted barn, but couldn't do ended up renting an office in a local town just so he could get decent internet, which is stupid since he's then driving 20+ miles each way, wasting time and fuel, and spending a small fortune on rent. I told him about Starlink coming soon, and he said he was going to drive over after lockdown and kiss me, I declined. :D

RSR

RSR

Soldato
We've signed up for it but looks like still ~4 months until available here. With only 30Mbit FTTC and 4G about same speed we are exploring all options we can.

Same.

My other options are 14K+ VAT for leased line (36 months) and £8,379.20 +VAT for FTTPoD.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

:) agree

I'm with you there. I have a 32-34mb maxed on FTTC, given my location on the outskirts of a small nowhere town, I doubt I'm getting an upgrade for another 5 years.

Count yourselves lucky, im in the sticks and we only got the fiber engineers looking at the poles on our road a month ago. Will be up to 6 months they said till it is an option. Big shout out to BT for sitting on billions of gov handouts for decades while the rest of the world has surpassed us in speed and services.. :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Depends on speeds (and reliability) - would still be keeping the FTTC.

Indeed! Speed has a factor to play in this especially in places that normal fibre can't reach yet.

Same.

My other options are 14K+ VAT for leased line (36 months) and £8,379.20 +VAT for FTTPoD.

Now when you look at it like this, the options are 100% something to think about (depends of the speeds ofc) Having satlink like this makes it seamless for integration.

How can it be available in some areas and not others? Are you on a different planet? Does the satellite use very narrow sector antennas???

I think they doing it on a slow rollout so they can "test" e.t.c. I'm pretty sure this is why areas are been 'selectively' used to start with.

Back
Top Bottom