Scam call - HMRC criminal investigations

Soldato
Mind boggles why you are trying to talk to these people, they can back charge the calls.... I had two messages like this left, and strangely enough ignored them. Aslo why even answer the phone in the 1st place??? You can see the number that's ringing you so don't answer it ffs

Caporegime
My daughter has quite a lot of these calls, her solution is to put the phone on loudspeaker and hand the phone to her toddler, it’s quite funny listening to them trying to understand the gibberish she comes out with, she’s only 2 bless her. :D

Soldato
Mind boggles why you are trying to talk to these people, they can back charge the calls

My number has a block on additional charges... good luck with that.

Aslo why even answer the phone in the 1st place??? You can see the number that's ringing you so don't answer it ffs

It's not like the number comes up "scam calls inc.", I get plenty of legitimate calls from numbers I don't recognise, I'd rather get a couple of these and have a laugh winding them up than risk missing an important call.

Man of Honour
I just start crying like a Nigerian woman at a funeral and they put the phone down.
With car accidents I get through to the Manager and tell them I lost both my legs and they put the phone down.
Both never fail.

Soldato
I had one of these this morning. Usually with the ISP and Amazon ones I play along with my VM I have on my PC but they caught me during my morning coffee and I didn't have the patience to play along today

Soldato
OP
Had another 0207 HMRC call again today but pushing 1 to speak with them didn't put me through :(.

I might try and keep them going on the next call if I can.

Unfortunately as it's a work mobile, I'm likely to get calls from various numbers so pretty much will answer them all.

With the accident calls I tend to try and see how awake the person is on the other end by giving them a date not too far in the future along with a little sob story about not having money as I couldn't work. Took one guy a while to twig this as he was more focused on what he thought was a sure thing for scamming.

Associate
They tried this with mum and she just kept them going until I came then the lady got ****** off and went to call the police, still waiting for them

Soldato
The HMRC one is really common at the moment, has massively increased this past month, sadly because it’s worked on so many people, both vulnerable and every day folk who should know much better but get scared when they hear they are going to be arrested and don’t think.

Soldato
Presumably the HMRC ones are becoming more frequent as we’re approaching the end of the tax year.

I almost got caught out the other day by a Royal Mail text stating a £2 charge was needed on a parcel before they could deliver it.

Man of Honour
I've had the HMRC ones myself but when you know how the Taxman has you for not paying tax then I know it's a scam.
I received a letter in the late 90s full of info and basically my long flowing curly hair went grey over night, I got psoriasis and ended up with a number one all over.
It really isn't nice when you're accused of tax avoidance/evasion so I know why people react like they do.

Man of Honour
My daughter has quite a lot of these calls, her solution is to put the phone on loudspeaker and hand the phone to her toddler, it’s quite funny listening to them trying to understand the gibberish she comes out with, she’s only 2 bless her. :D

That's a good idea.

Maybe that's an idea for an app. Something like Siri et alia but specifically for talking nonsense to scammers.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I’ve been getting a lot that just start ‘Attention!’…
Not sure what the rest is as I just hang up.

As I currently work from home and have the office number forwarded, I can’t ignore the calls and let them ring anymore either.

Back
Top Bottom