The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
I had a good one this morning too. Not the freshest legs but gave it a bit more of a push now I'm really feeling over the bug I had last month. After a really frustrating few weeks of having to take it easy, Strava estimated my FTP has gone back up by about 20W :). Still 30W short of where I was at the start of Jan, but it's really encouraging to be making progress at last.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
One of those Trainer road sessions that I just went into with tired legs from a good tempo run last night and TR expected me to 6x8min 110% of FTP managed 4. I am such a failure

Soldato
Did a little race tonight, need to get the legs going if there’s going to be a race season. Started in C but was a bit too strong (as well as 20 other people, but mostly 2 driving it).

Ended up 5th on the line but got a deserving upgrade to B stuck me in 25th. Surprisingly good legs this week, 10-15% down on where I want to be so not too bad, I’ll work on it over the next month. It’s at least after clocks change before TT season might start.

Soldato
10 laps of oh crit tonight, managed to get in front group but lost concentration about half way through and dropped a wheel and couldn't get it back. Plugged on through to the end for something like 56th in a @309w for 25 mins, pretty damn happy with that after a short warm up and soup for lunch..

Soldato
Good work lads. Nice power for 25 minutes.

Did the usual TTT tonight and old guys giving it to me tight. They kept going far too hard up the climbs on that Astoria line in NY. I couldn't get my HR up for the power I was doing. Last lap I was getting annoyed being made to do watts so chose to be the one fishing them out. Certainly feel on it once I get up to 180bpm.

304w best 20m power and 293 average but we had to ease up lots mid race to let a guy back on due to the drags.

Soldato
I did 284w but I’m fat so not so
Impressive :o as each lap went by my average HR kept going up so outside my comfort zone, had some in the tank for the finish though.

Think I’d get away with a local ten, but riding there, riding home, plus a warm up I’ll be stuffed. Need to ride more! Fingers crossed for the weekend, the forecast isn’t great but it isn’t rain!

Associate
I'm doing the build me up training, on week 8.. i think its really helping..

I generally don't do races or group rides as I have only been on zwift for 2 months, so I don't know what I'm doing and the training sessions take up.most of the week.. as I've become slightly addicted recently, and I only had a few training sessions this week I did a group ride, did one last month group D and everyone whizzed past me. I didn't know what my average w/kg was. Today I thought I had progressed so joined a group C ride. After about 20 minutes I realised that maybe I should be in group B. Last 10 mins I wanted to push on (which I'm guessing is frowned upon) I think I'm about 3.5 -4 average now so once I have time and training 5 times a week has finished I would like to try a couple of races each week. What's the best way to get involved?

Soldato
and the training sessions take up.most of the week..

This is my concern and why I'd rather structure my own training plan, so I can still head out on days off, for nice long rides in the sun :)

As no-one answered before, should I assume no-one really has good knowledge of how a plan should be structured? I'm happy to just throw a rather random plan together myself, 2 x high intensity training, 2 long outdoor rides and maybe a couple of short recovery rides (indoor or out) to make up my week, I just wondered if anyone knew the proper way to do it :)

Soldato
That's where I'd be aiming 2-3 tues-thurs-sat intense days, long ride Sunday with another thrown in there on a Wednesday if possible.

Weights/core work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the winter.

Hard day's need to be hard and easy days easy. Sweet spot gets used a lot on these programs but more polarised would be my preference.

Soldato
That's where I'd be aiming 2-3 tues-thurs-sat intense days, long ride Sunday with another thrown in there on a Wednesday if possible.

Weights/core work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the winter.

Hard day's need to be hard and easy days easy. Sweet spot gets used a lot on these programs but more polarised would be my preference.

This is how my rides are structured following having a coach for a few years, Tuesday/Thurs/Sat hard, Wednesday and Sunday steady Z2 although as sunday was always a longer ride you'd have some digs into higher zones but just nothing sustained. It just fitted best. End of the day @AndyCr15 you can take your whatever training you are scheduled outside and put those efforts in after a 30 minutes warm up and have a long cool down to get the nice miles in.

Drop me a pm if you want to run some ideas by me. I wouldn't say i'm an expert but put plans together for a few mates and my wife.

Last edited:
Soldato
So for now I've given up trying to get my Flux V1 100% stable, switched my 4iiii over to the Zwift bike. So that will be primary power on Zwift at least for a few weeks (until I'm riding outside more). Rode a couple of testers/comparisons on sunday to compare the two (with another calibration between the 2 rides) and it does seem to be a bit more accurate now. Number still quite different but it's hard to 'see' when you're riding - head unit vs screen.
Had a weak moment of ebay madness and bought a S/H (barely used) Stages... I've actually got my PWN & Flux quite close on steady power efforts now. I'll do some extra comparisons, then switch the Stages in to check it's accuracy against the Flux. Hopefully that'll mean the Stages (inside) and 4iiii (outside) are somewhere near!

I measure myself on the Richmond course which is about 16.5km I think. Today I smashed my PB with an under 25 minute for the loop, and a loads of PBs on the way round. Just 9 or 10 weeks ago I thought i was going to collapse after a 10km ride, today I've managed 75km in just over 2 hours and I feel great. Also got an FTP increase to 295 so I must be doing it right.. how much more would it be possible to go up, surely it stops at a certain point!?

1614096613751.png
It really depends on your natural ability and talent on just how far you can go... Oh and of course the amount of training you can do, the weight you can lose and the amount of time you can ride!

But you're doing well, good solid numbers and progress. It does start to taper off very easily, you might already be at that point of 'marginal gains'. FTP is also very subjective and setup specific - which it's quite hard to use to compare against other riders, but equally it is a single measurement used everywhere! I race as a mid-B and my FTP fluxuates anywhere between 250W-270W at the moment, even though my riding is generally very similar. If I rode more and with more structure I might be able to get it towards the level you're seeing, but I don't have the time or willpower - so it's just all fun for me! :)

One of those magic days today. Amazing legs seemingly for no reason. Smashed the efforts on Sand and Sequias, one of my favourite routes I know xdxc likes it too.

This was the route which it crashed on me the other week (despite having ridden it before probably 25 times), no issues today on windows 10, but yes I am getting a frame rate drop compared to win7.
S&S is a great course, I really enjoy it, but it really hurts if at the limit!

Performance could probably be RAM related? What are you on? But good to see you getting some reliability back.

He was D so figured 7 minutes gap was a good target to close as a C. So many Bs like myself ruining it a bit for others. A guy was nearly 5w/kg for the whole thing, I could hold his wheel for most of it until he just sat at 6w/kg and put 30s into us who had 2m 40s on the group that was in tatters.
Ended up 5th on the line but got a deserving upgrade to B stuck me in 25th. Surprisingly good legs this week, 10-15% down on where I want to be so not too bad, I’ll work on it over the next month. It’s at least after clocks change before TT season might start.
Sandbaggers! Both of you! :p

I'm all over the place at the moment and sometimes a 3.2w/kg average is my limit, but I'm under no illusions that I'm not a B so always ride/race there as one. No fun smashing people with no challenge! ;)

Did the usual TTT tonight and old guys giving it to me tight. They kept going far too hard up the climbs on that Astoria line in NY. I couldn't get my HR up for the power I was doing. Last lap I was getting annoyed being made to do watts so chose to be the one fishing them out. Certainly feel on it once I get up to 180bpm.

304w best 20m power and 293 average but we had to ease up lots mid race to let a guy back on due to the drags.
Crazy numbers, well done mate!

I actually rode with a non-3R team this week... Early in the week 3R teams announced and there was no late Frappe team so jumped in with BRT who I've seen a couple of local riders ride with. Had a 'mare and couldn't get on the right Discord for them, so riding with a team of low-frappe riders who I didn't know, who had no set rotation, with no communication. HAhaha it was a mess first lap, I kept coming through over the tops of climbs and when their speed dropped but every time I did I was just too strong. Had to really taper my efforts and just sit up so much. Several of them heavier riders (so I was one of the lightest and strongest). As the ride drew on I settled back into gap closing efforts whenever one of the heavier guys dropped, while also sitting 2nd/3rd wheel to cover pulls and smooth things for the others. It worked well but on that course I was utterly burnt out and at my limit for the latter half. Still felt strong but with all the easing into gaps and closing stuff it was brutal for a low power average of only 235W haha. I did a long strong effort into the finish but with closing a gap & ramp just before I really started to cramp up in my right calf. I'd felt it a bit tight earlier in the day playing footie with the boy. Ooops!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4849874700

After about 20 minutes I realised that maybe I should be in group B. Last 10 mins I wanted to push on (which I'm guessing is frowned upon) I think I'm about 3.5 -4 average now so once I have time and training 5 times a week has finished I would like to try a couple of races each week. What's the best way to get involved?
Yup those are B numbers, but as you're new you can get away with riding in C, you'll probably find it easier to sit in the bunch and learn some racecraft (and how to draft well!). Best way is probably just to ride at popular times and jump in popular races. For most that's 6-8pm most weeknights. You can look on Zwiftpower.com for a list of upcoming events (that's quicker and loads better than scouring through the zwift site or companion app). Races/series/clubs to look out for would generally be ZRL (but that usually requires registration and club membership), 3R, BRT, DIRT, HERD, ZSUN, EVO, ZHQ.

As no-one answered before, should I assume no-one really has good knowledge of how a plan should be structured? I'm happy to just throw a rather random plan together myself, 2 x high intensity training, 2 long outdoor rides and maybe a couple of short recovery rides (indoor or out) to make up my week, I just wondered if anyone knew the proper way to do it :)
That's pretty much it, find some structure and pattern with that - while also keeping an eye on your recovery and fatigue. You'll be pretty much there and with consistency like that while balancing it so you can continue building, you'll be as far along as anyone.

The Training plans are pretty much that, but the vast majority of them are aimed at people without too much base riding already, so you'll find they start very easy. Probably too easy and you'll get bored before actually getting to the point it's pushing you.

Recovery is key for any of them. A bunch of the 3R Zwift racing guys do the Zwift 12 week 'build me up' but so many of them dig themselves into a hole with it as they'll also be racing several times a week. Most do it as a 'return' to riding hard 5+ days a week after some time off and will only do it once a year, while 'dreading it' it does seem to work. Some of them even have race 'season' indoors over winter, while also managing an outdoor race season in the summer months. Insane amount of riding and a double peak of fitness/form in a calendar year (like many Pro's do!).

Associate
Thanks for the advice roady, I'm not comparing FTP to anything, I changed tyres a few weeks ago and FTP went down slightly, so I know it is based on my setup, as I could use someone else's trainer and be at a completely different figure. I'm only using it to compare stats week on week.

At the moment I have the time during the day (once home schooling is done, but I'm March I can see me being back at work part time so I think it will reduce.

Had a look at zwiftpoeer and have now opted in to connect to Zwift, entered the 4 digit code etc. Lets see where it goes from there
Edit:
I think I need to work out how to calibrate my trainer, I don't think I should be seeing this much improvement in only a few months..

Last edited:
Associate
Busy week at work, however, while I'm not improving my FTP I'm getting more consistent at hitting it. TTT team qualified for the platinum League on Thursday and I now have the pressure of qualifying for the ZRL WC play offs on Tuesday.... whoulda thunk virtual cycling could be so stressful :D

Soldato
Nice one on the platinum league mate, do you have to get a top ten in your category or something?

I seem to be utterly terrible at the TTT as per my last comment on it, I recon I'd smash some of the guys to bits on the road but struggle on Zwift.

Did the same APR race with my boss again but went in B and him D with a 10 minute gap. Felt hard for the 1st lap, settled down a bit on the 2nd and 3rd where I ended up off the front with two ZP riders. I think we only ever got a bout 15 seconds on the bunch but it was hard as **** as shown by my power/HR https://www.strava.com/activities/4879322903/analysis/1680/2150

They went through a C group and I got swallowed up as I couldn't produce 6w/kg at that point, tried to chase but the C guys then chased me down. Sat in there until B came and picked me up. Sprinting for top 20 :o and still had 1m 15s to catch the boss.

Riding outside tomorrow with the same people from Sunday so will be hard, again, then TTT on Thursday to do **** again. :D

Soldato
I’ll give you a shovel to dig yourself that hole ;)

Back to sand and Sequias tonight, easy riding and then give it death up the climb. Only 6 seconds difference between my two efforts but the faster one 21w higher average power! Oooofff.

Had a go at the sprint too, which was going good for the first 15-20 seconds, but a 30 second effort errr nah legs said no!

Looking back to last year somehow my numbers are about as good for a 5 minute effort, despite a lot less riding. Endurance is nowhere near, so I increased my ride length and went up to 50km tonight (1 hr 20).

Soldato
I'll hire a JCB to get there faster :D

Doing it all backwards, build the base in the summer and get sharp in winter.

I was having a look at a race from 2 years ago, my HR was 204 most laps at the top of the climb. Hopefully I'm fitter now to bring the HR down for similar power.

Soldato
Had fun in a Masters race last night. I'm not fast, so it's not about mixing it up for the lead, but I had fun 'racing' with others. Got in a group of 4 from about 30 mins in, stayed with them but thought I might lose them as we got to Box Hill the second time (two laps of Greater London Loop) being 96kg I find I usually can't stay with groups up ascents, but found I could keep with them by keeping the Watts around 260 to 320, which I felt I could hold all the way up. Had a sprint to the end of BH segment, then it seemed the others were spent and I still had some for that next short rise. Up out the seat and putting the power down, I dropped them all and shot down the other side making a gap of 12 seconds to the nearest of them as I crossed the line. Great fun :)

Also, first time in a race over 30 minutes that I've done better than 2.3 W/kg and I managed 2.7, so the training is clearly working.

In the race, normally I monitor my position, like you can see in @Jonny ///M screenshot. Mine didn't have that yesterday and as I crossed the line it just gave me a distance and time, not a list of everyone that had finished. Have I turned something off, or do some races just not share info?

Soldato
In the race, normally I monitor my position, like you can see in @Jonny ///M screenshot. Mine didn't have that yesterday and as I crossed the line it just gave me a distance and time, not a list of everyone that had finished. Have I turned something off, or do some races just not share info?

IIRC Masters events have the categories manually split after the race to give all the age-based categories, with results on Zwiftpower (just for those registered at ZP?) plus their own website.

Associate
Nice one on the platinum league mate, do you have to get a top ten in your category or something?

I seem to be utterly terrible at the TTT as per my last comment on it, I recon I'd smash some of the guys to bits on the road but struggle on Zwift.

Did the same APR race with my boss again but went in B and him D with a 10 minute gap. Felt hard for the 1st lap, settled down a bit on the 2nd and 3rd where I ended up off the front with two ZP riders. I think we only ever got a bout 15 seconds on the bunch but it was hard as **** as shown by my power/HR https://www.strava.com/activities/4879322903/analysis/1680/2150

They went through a C group and I got swallowed up as I couldn't produce 6w/kg at that point, tried to chase but the C guys then chased me down. Sat in there until B came and picked me up. Sprinting for top 20 :o and still had 1m 15s to catch the boss.

Riding outside tomorrow with the same people from Sunday so will be hard, again, then TTT on Thursday to do **** again. :D

First twelve go through to the PL so we scraped it this week as opposed to just missing out the previous week. Somehow gotta make my legs work for 3 days in a row now as the team I captain also qualified for the ZRL championship playoffs on Fri/Sat :eek: TTTing on Zwift is an artform, takes a lot of trial and error to work out dropping back without getting spat out, faith in holding a wheel, trying to stay together on climbs etc :D Best thing we did on Tuesday for ZRL was ask somebody to DS for us, made such a big difference both observationally and motivationally :cool:

Back
Top Bottom