• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Your favorite graphics card?

Soldato
Ahhh to good old days when you could walk into a shop and buy one over the counter.

I remember picking up the Radeon 9800 Pro from OcUK back in the day when they were at the Imex Business park. It came with a free copy of HL2 and it meant that I needed to download Steam for the very first time.

Soldato
I'll have to be boring and say my 6900 XT even though the cost was ridiculous. I'm not as long in the tooth when it comes to PC gaming as most here, my card ownership reads: 390X, Fury X, Vega 64 LC, 5700 XT and now the big fella. Each of my previous cards fell short of being my perfect card in some shape or form but I can't fault my 6900 XT. Cool, quiet but monstrous.

Associate
Ahhh to good old days when you could walk into a shop and buy one over the counter.

I remember picking up the Radeon 9800 Pro from OcUK back in the day when they were at the Imex Business park. It came with a free copy of HL2 and it meant that I needed to download Steam for the very first time.
Nice.

Associate
My favorite GPU is the 6800 MBA. AMD software has come a long way and lets me set custom profiles for each game. I can easily set most games at an energy efficient 60fps whilst having others set at 120mhz and I don't need to keep changing the settings between games once they are initially set. As a bonus the card feels well made with no sag in the pcie slot.

Associate
Packard Bell Pulsar by any chance? That was my first proper pc around 98 i think with a mighty slot 1 celeron 333 and 64megs of ram! They started using an integrated voodoo 3 chipset around late 98 i think to replace the rage pro crap.

V0H1ykh.jpg

Forgot the name but the case was very similar - had a decent processor though, Pentium 3 450mhz if I remember and 64mb ram, so wasn't a bad machine once I added the Voodoo card.

Only had a 6gb hard disk though - can't believe how small they were.

Upgraded a couple of years later to a machine from Tiny with a Pentium 4 1.7ghz and a Geforce 3 card coupled to a 19 inch CRT - had much fun playing Max Payne and RTCW in all their glory.

Associate
Mine was my 4870 X2. Absolute monster at the time and served me religiously for years! I almost had a viking funeral for it when it finally gave up the ghost in 2013!

Associate
For me it has to be the Ati Radeon 9700pro . I was at a lan party at Newbury race course. I9 i think?. and bricked my Gforce2 gts so had to buy from a shop stall at the Lan. Fitting it drunk at midnight was an experience lol. The upgrade was phenomenal at the time though!

Soldato
geforce 256.
back in the quake days i remember getting this card and its hardware TNL engine was a game changer. going from previous voodoo cards to the geforce 256 was just insane.

Soldato
It's probably a tie between Voodoo 3 3000 PCI and Radeon 9500 Pro. They were the only cards where I can remember actually being able to run stuff I couldn't after I'd installed them compared to beforehand. Everything else has just meant improved settings or higher framerates.

Honourable mention to a 6800GT AGP that I ended up selling for more than I paid for it (when decent AGP cards became like hens' teeth) and the GTX 970 I have now. 5 years is a long time for me to hold on to a graphics card in the scheme of things.

Soldato
Actually - recalling the performance you got from the 8800GT for £180. Imagine being able to buy a card that performed that close to high end now for under £200...

Back
Top Bottom