WD SN850 vs Samsung 980 Pro (1TB)

Associate
Starting to finalise my new build for whenever the 3080's finally stop being rarer than rocking horse ****, and my current decision is what to use for new drives. My current Z97 build has some older SSD's:

• 500GB 850 EVO
  • 2 x Crucial M500 480G
Given their age and how long they've been in use it's doubtful they'll make the move to the new PC. So I'm going to replace them with a pair of M.2 drives. Given my current storage is just under 1.5GB a pair of 1TB drives should be fine, and any video files on my PC get shunted to my NAS anyway.

The 2 drives I'm looking at are the WD SN850 or the Samsing 980 Pro, pretty close in price but leaning towards the WD because they're cheaper. Anything I should consider between these two though? Or any other drives I should be looking at?

Soldato
WD seems to have been little faster in many benchmarks.
Though unless doing something very specific none of those benchmarkets are going to matter.
Even whole difference between PCIe v3 and v4 drives doesn't show really in anything if main use is gaming.
Doom Eternal is apparently about the only game making some loading time difference between SATA and NVMe SSD:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/adata-xpg-gammix-s70-2-tb/13.html

Anyway no reason to fill limited slots with smaller drives.
Partitioning is for keeping Windows separate from rest in case of needing to nuke OS for clean reinstall.

Associate
OP
It's partly future-proofing, my current build is getting on for 7 years old at this point (minus various graphic card updates). Regarding the new drives I'll likely partition one-off for Windows and then temp storage of downloads etc. The second drive will be dedicated to games.

But yeh, I'm leaning towards the WD. There's no appreciable difference between the drives otherwise.

Associate
Starting to finalise my new build for whenever the 3080's finally stop being rarer than rocking horse ****, and my current decision is what to use for new drives. My current Z97 build has some older SSD's:

• 500GB 850 EVO
  • 2 x Crucial M500 480G
Given their age and how long they've been in use it's doubtful they'll make the move to the new PC. So I'm going to replace them with a pair of M.2 drives. Given my current storage is just under 1.5GB a pair of 1TB drives should be fine, and any video files on my PC get shunted to my NAS anyway.

The 2 drives I'm looking at are the WD SN850 or the Samsing 980 Pro, pretty close in price but leaning towards the WD because they're cheaper. Anything I should consider between these two though? Or any other drives I should be looking at?

I have a WD sn850 2t and works pukka, am sure the Samsung 980 pro is also great, for me I got the SN850 for £260 new there was no where anywhere near close to that price for the Sammy.

Associate
Have been aching about the 980 Pro being downgraded to TLC NAND, was looking forward to it until the specs were released. The line is just plain overpriced now days.

The WD drives are just as good or better and are noticeably cheaper.

Associate

• 500GB 850 EVO
  • 2 x Crucial M500 480G

I have Samsung for more about 10 months. Its still running without any issue. I would recommend you to go with Samsung

Back
Top Bottom