• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What are people's experiences with import tax and duty on imported GPUs?

Associate
Pretty sure it's anybody. You don't need to pay VAT in a country you don't reside in so you can claim it back.
Cheers, the thing is the website I ordered on was a .co.uk so I assumed it was UK Vat I was paying when I ordered.

I've asked for the initial purchase Vat back but heard nothing back so far, and my stuff is stuck at a German airport not moving for 2 days now.

Luckily Overclockers have the Aquacomputer pump res I was also waiting for in stock so I can cancel that.

Soldato
Doesnt that only apply to businesses though? Ive done a google but cant find any mention of a none vat registered person being able to claim anything

whoever you bought it from shouldn't have charged you VAT in their country if you are outside the EU - so they should refund it to you as they've effectively done their accounts wrong by putting it down as as EU sale with their VAT - if you buy something while on holiday there is often a little booth at the airport where you can reclaim VAT when you leave, and you are then supposed to go through the "something to declare" channel when you get to the UK and pay the VAT on the way in

Caporegime
whoever you bought it from shouldn't have charged you VAT in their country if you are outside the EU - so they should refund it to you as they've effectively done their accounts wrong by putting it down as as EU sale with their VAT - if you buy something while on holiday there is often a little booth at the airport where you can reclaim VAT when you leave, and you are then supposed to go through the "something to declare" channel when you get to the UK and pay the VAT on the way in

I agree they shouldn't have and probably wouldnt now but at the time i ordered it back in June/July 2020 we were in the EU and I paid for there and then. That vat would go on their next vat return and their accounts would be 100% correct at the time. Of course nobody expected that it would take until January 2021 to arrive in the Uk and then get caught up in the new regime. What should have happened is that any goods from the EU bought and paid for before 31st December should have been let through duty and vat free at this end.

I will email them but doubt a German retailer will take much interest is paying back my German VAT I paid when I ordered it.

The way people were talking it was like there was some online form I could complete to get it back.

Soldato
I agree they shouldn't have and probably wouldnt now but at the time i ordered it back in June/July 2020 we were in the EU and I paid for there and then. That vat would go on their next vat return and their accounts would be 100% correct at the time. Of course nobody expected that it would take until January 2021 to arrive in the Uk and then get caught up in the new regime. What should have happened is that any goods from the EU bought and paid for before 31st December should have been let through duty and vat free at this end.

I will email them but doubt a German retailer will take much interest is paying back my German VAT I paid when I ordered it.

The way people were talking it was like there was some online form I could complete to get it back.

There is a form, but you have to present it in person at an airport (because the only time an end user should have been charged german VAT for an export is if they bought it IN Germany)

Its trivial to reclassify a sale in most accounting software and it will submit the correction for you, it is their fault at the end of the day for not shipping you the goods under the system they charged you under. Its not like they would actually be out of pocket by doing the correct thing as they will just get it knocked off their next VAT bill.

Caporegime
There is a form, but you have to present it in person at an airport (because the only time an end user should have been charged german VAT for an export is if they bought it IN Germany)

Its trivial to reclassify a sale in most accounting software and it will submit the correction for you, it is their fault at the end of the day for not shipping you the goods under the system they charged you under. Its not like they would actually be out of pocket by doing the correct thing as they will just get it knocked off their next VAT bill.

Indeed but i am beholden on their good will to sort it out. I cant really force them to. I mean I could threaten to never buy from them again but atm they arent even allowing people from the UK to buy.

Also it was despatched before New Year and when it left Germany left under the current valid legal scheme so that makes it messy. I suspect they will say it was exported before the new rules came in so there is nothing they can do.

Soldato
Before my 3080 was shipped i got a Gigabyte 3060Ti from a discord alert and managed to get it a bit over 390, also got refunded 4 odd quid for import fees. Still cheaper than anywhere you'd find them in the UK even at normal pricing.

dav.jpg

Back
Top Bottom