Mr Potato goes gender neutral

Caporegime
The Mr Potato Head & Mrs Potato Head toys are still the same.

"Mr Potato Head" was the brand name, so there were "Mr Potato Head Mr Potato Head" and "Mr Potato Head Mrs Potato Head" toys. Now it's renamed so there's "Potato head Mr Potato Head" and "Potato Head Mrs Potato Head" toys.
There's no new genders or changing of existing geners of the toy...

Yup. It's hilarious how little it takes to rile the reactionary right.

Capodecina
Soldato
Yup. It's hilarious how little it takes to rile the reactionary right.

To be fair I think the media is slightly to blame. They could have easily headed the story "Mr Potato Head drops the Mr" or "Mr Potato Head now becomes Potato Head". But heading the story as "Mr Potato Head goes gender neutral" [as the BBC have done] gives it a different tinge and one which is far more likely to invite discussions and shares.

For instance there's no way this thread would have already been five pages with one of those titles.

Caporegime
To be fair I think the media is slightly to blame.

The media has not exacted covered itself in glory with its reporting but this was attracting plenty of ire beforehand, and even if it was the case that they'd created a new "Potato Head" with both male and female options in one box, so what? Incredibly little to create headlines.

Soldato
This thread is worse than reading the illiterate posters on the Stoke on Trent Live Facebook Group who have only read the headlines.
Doesn't anybody read any more?

There is a world of difference between reading and understanding.

My favourite (possibly apocryphal) headline was "French push bottles up enemy rear". Obviously about a French assault on a German position, tying up German troops.

Back
Top Bottom