*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Checked the order page on HP.
Its estimating 19th March delivery now. And shows as "Waiting for stock" rather than "Packing".

@pswillies - Have you got something similar?
Mine shows as 'Out for delivery', but also with 19th March as the estimate. Who knows what's going on, but I suppose it's promising they might appear before July! :D

*** Edit *** I was looking on my phone, which shows 'Out for delivery', but the full site actually shows 'Waiting for stock'. Quality job on the website HP!

Soldato
OpenXR would solve all that anyway but I think we’ll be stuck playing openVR games for a very long time yet so this is good news either way.

If you're in to VorpX, supreme leader Ralph has OpenXR working natively now with WMR. He had incentive to look having gotten a G2, but says it's just a case of working out the controllers.

Be interesting to see the performance gains if he publishes in a release.

Soldato
It's hit and miss. You can appreciate a lot of what it does, but it polarises opinion because people have differing expectations of what VR is supposed to represent. Unless it's full geometry you might as well be playing in bigscreen, and while i dig playing stuff like Titan Quest and X-com in 3D within a headset, the experience is just Nvidia 3D vision reborn.

Arguably it works best with 3rd person games and 2/3D pseudo platformers, but even then you have to be selective. Glad i picked it up but in no way does it beat out native VR support, world scale isn't VorpX's strong suit.

Associate
Not sure if been reported in here yet but watched a Gamers Nexus vid this morning where AMD have issued a statement saying they are aware of usb disconnects on 500 series boards and their later cpus when using pci-e 4.
From reading the thread it seems to have been spurred by HP going to them about the Reverb G2 issues. Isn't just the Reverb that suffers it - lots of devices do but usually recover. However not so good if the device is an external disk in the middle of doing stuff to data. Or evidently a VR headset.

I think they're asking for people a/effected (never know which to use!) to come forward to help them troubleshoot as it's not an easy issue to replicate.

Soldato
The issues with the Reverb G2 are very easy to duplicate. Two different brand X570 MB's and two different CPU's.

If AMD's troubleshooting team buy a couple G2's they should have plenty of issues to keep them busy.

Associate
Not sure if been reported in here yet but watched a Gamers Nexus vid this morning where AMD have issued a statement saying they are aware of usb disconnects on 500 series boards and their later cpus when using pci-e 4.
From reading the thread it seems to have been spurred by HP going to them about the Reverb G2 issues. Isn't just the Reverb that suffers it - lots of devices do but usually recover. However not so good if the device is an external disk in the middle of doing stuff to data. Or evidently a VR headset.

I think they're asking for people a/effected (never know which to use!) to come forward to help them troubleshoot as it's not an easy issue to replicate.

Will check this out - I can replicate pretty much on demand, but I suspect there will be no shortage of examples of this if they want it.

Associate
I bought both the G2 and the Index five weeks ago. While the Index has been working perfectly since day 1, I experienced some problems with the G2 “audio switching”. (470 chipset). Bios updates did not help.

I ordered an external powered usb hub, and I haven’t seen any audio switches since.

just wanted to share this info ;)

Associate
I bought both the G2 and the Index five weeks ago. While the Index has been working perfectly since day 1, I experienced some problems with the G2 “audio switching”. (470 chipset). Bios updates did not help.

I ordered an external powered usb hub, and I haven’t seen any audio switches since.

just wanted to share this info ;)

Thanks, but this is not something that works for everyone. There's intrinsic issues with X570 that mean a USB Hub often won't help. No idea what the variables are but I've had an External powered hub since day one, and had no end of issues before turning off PCIE 4.0.

What GFX card are you using? If not PCIE 4.0, then I'd suggest that's a much more likely reason you aren't seeing these issues now, as well as the stable power that a hub provides.

Soldato
I have used both a G1 and a G2 on my MSI X570 rig and ran both headsets on a Gigabyte X570 rig.

G1= no isses on either X570 rig.
G2= wired buggy crap on both.

I'm not saying X570 doesn't have issues, but the G2 clearly has "special needs" if the G1 works well with X570 and the G2 does not.

Associate
Thanks, but this is not something that works for everyone. There's intrinsic issues with X570 that mean a USB Hub often won't help. No idea what the variables are but I've had an External powered hub since day one, and had no end of issues before turning off PCIE 4.0.

What GFX card are you using? If not PCIE 4.0, then I'd suggest that's a much more likely reason you aren't seeing these issues now, as well as the stable power that a hub provides.

Exactly. I'm using a 2080ti (PCI3.0). I have no idea why it works now - or why it obviously doesn't with PCIE4.0 cards or X570 chipset. The G2 only worked with one of the mainboard's USB type A ports, but not with its USB-C port, and not with the 2080's USB-C port. Interesting: I connected the hub to a different USB port than the G2, and it works...

I hesitated buying an external USB hub, since I'd read that it had not helped in many cases. But I'm glad I finally did, so I wanted to share this piece of information - maybe we can find a pattern or HP will find a general solution...

Man of Honour
X570 TUF MB with a 3600 and an RTX 3090 here my G2 only started even being seen plugged into an external hub and I had to turn off all Gen4 in the bios to get it to work, I’m still not sure it’s 100% as the head tracking seems a little “wobbly” for the want of a better word compared to my Rift S....

Man of Honour
Check the lighting in the room. Sounds a little simplistic i know, but i only encounter that when it gets darker in the day and i haven't bothered to turn the main light on.
happens day and night no matter what the lightings like hopefully its just the compatability issues with my MB and will get sorted in time as it does make me a little queasy :confused: whereas the Rift S is rock solid

Associate
How many people are unplugging their G2's after every use? I know in the instructions that came with the G2 it states to not have it plugged in when you are not using it but I worry that over the days/weeks/months of pluggin in and unplugging that the connection will come lose and it's also inconvenient to do. If HP want it powered down surely they should have included a power toggle on the cable? Has anyone found an adapter or similar to put in line to act as a power switch?

Back
Top Bottom