Assetto Corsa Competizione

Soldato
Yeah sounds great, 8.30pm onwards works for me weeknights but I can be found playing most weekends :p

I'll mess with that server tonight and adjust the timings - 20min quali/20 min race work for everyone? Any preferences on tracks?

Soldato
I almost exclusively play ACC.

Only really know Spa and Monza enough not to crash "that" much. :)

I tend to stick with the Huracan Evo.
Huracan Evo is a real diva when it comes to tire pressures. If they get over 28psi the car becomes undriveable. I'm not sure if that's the reason why you crash but it may help keep you on the track a little more. I used it in a league recently and I had to switch as getting the pressures wrong was ruining too many races.

27.5psi is optimum across all cars

Soldato
Huracan Evo is a real diva when it comes to tire pressures. If they get over 28psi the car becomes undriveable. I'm not sure if that's the reason why you crash but it may help keep you on the track a little more. I used it in a league recently and I had to switch as getting the pressures wrong was ruining too many races.

27.5psi is optimum across all cars

Have to honest, I've not really played with setup that much. Leave it on a safe set up and drop the ABS/TC to 4 each once everything is warm. Only thing I tend to do is reduce fuel to make the car a bit quicker. Makes it more unstable though :)

Soldato
I've not really tried the Huracan too much, I've been toying with the Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo and it seems quick but I can't get the setup right where it's not super squirrely. I'm relying on a ton of rear wing which is great through twisty tracks but not so good on Monza where I'm losing a lot of ground in the straights.

Dedicated server is up and running Spa - search for OCUK in the server browser and the password to join is 'overclockers'

Soldato
Have to honest, I've not really played with setup that much. Leave it on a safe set up and drop the ABS/TC to 4 each once everything is warm. Only thing I tend to do is reduce fuel to make the car a bit quicker. Makes it more unstable though :)
Ah well tyre pressures make a huge difference so even if that's the only thing you tweak, you'll notice a huge difference. Do a few laps to get the tires warmed up and then adjust the pressure from there. Driving around on under/over inflated tires loses you a tonne of time (I did a league race on Monday night in the Merc Evo at Kyalami and my pressures dropped from mid 27s to low/mid 26s and I was losing 1-2s per lap.

Give the aggressive setup a try too. They're usually really stable and a significant improvement over the safe preset, you maybe just need to bump the TC/ABS up a little.

Also check out the brake pads, 1 is super aggressive for races up to 90mins, 2 will work for 12hrs, 3 is a wet pad and 4 is to simulate worn brakes, although it gives you the best performance but only lasts 15-20mins.

Engine maps differ in every car too - https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ecu-maps-implementation.54472/

I don't know why any of this info isn't in the game but there you go.

I've not really tried the Huracan too much, I've been toying with the Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo and it seems quick but I can't get the setup right where it's not super squirrely. I'm relying on a ton of rear wing which is great through twisty tracks but not so good on Monza where I'm losing a lot of ground in the straights.

Dedicated server is up and running Spa - search for OCUK in the server browser and the password to join is 'overclockers'
I know what you mean there. It takes some getting used to, especially if you're used to the front engine cars. I've found dropping the rear ride height helps a lot, even to the point where it's lower than the front, and allows you to run lower rear wing.

Also, if you're using setups created pre-1.6 (which in the Evo you won't be unless you're loading 488 non-Evo setups), you need to lower the rear ride height to get some of the rear stability back. It's explained a little in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdG-9krSQXY

Associate
Sadly ffb is pretty vague on my G29 compared to other sims.
Ive tried every setting suggested on countless sites,forums etc even what Ares himself suggests but still not happy with it on this wheel.

As for tips pick a car and stick with it same it, try all tracks to see what you enjoy then put in lap after lap after lap.

This might help with car choice.

Soldato
I'm trying to get into this playing with a G29 setup - any tips for beginers as in which car & track to practice with?

TIA

Spa has a good mix of turns and a decent-ish long back straight, or Monza which is fairly basic but is satisfying when you nail the chicanes. I've not tried all of the cars yet but I've found the M6 a little too chunky to be competitive, the Mercedes AMG is a good shout and decently well balanced, the Honda NSX felt okay but had a weird understeer into oversteer through turns. I tend to use the Ferrari 488 for a lot of tracks at the moment though, it feels great to drive but needs some fine tuning to get it right. I'd personally try the Mercedes AMG or the Aston Martin.

I think the Aston Martin is a good friendly car that's fairly tough to unbalance so that could be a good start while you get used to the wheel and game.

Soldato
So what’s the best way to suck less?

Fair to say my times are not the best, but apart from coming off the track less often with practise I don’t seem to be doing much to actually improve lap times. I’ll hit the times more often and more consistently hit my lines, but rarely will my best lap be substantially better because clearly my technique could be improved, currently I just get more reliable at a crap technique lol.

How do you guys that are good at these sims go about actually improving substantially?

Soldato
So what’s the best way to suck less?

If only i was an expert, that said i generally know where i go wrong. If you're lines are decent then it's learning inertia on each individual corner and how to maximize aerodynamics coasting the car in and mechanical grip under power bouncing off the apex. It's a balancing act played out with your feet that's key to being quick. You can learn a lot from watching the fast guys on youtube in regards to entry speeds and where they're punching the power in what gear and what car, but it's that natural balance of the individual that matters.

My bug bear is giving too much foot on the brake, I learned this mid race around brands one night and instantly took over a second off the lap time.

There's far too much movement in the T3PA Pro's i have to be so precise with the brakes though, where it falls down no matter what.

What sort of times you do around the more popular tracks?

Soldato
My bug bear is giving too much foot on the brake, I learned this mid race around brands one night and instantly took over a second off the lap time.

There's far too much movement in the T3PA Pro's i have to be so precise with the brakes though, where it falls down no matter what.

Well there I have no excuse, I recently built myself some lovely (and, even if I do say so myself, quite sexy!) pedals with a loadcell brake and even have a small transducer kicking the brake pedal to let me know when ABS is kicking in.

So generally you are saying avoid braking too hard for the most part?

What sort of times you do around the more popular tracks?

Well for a fresh example I just did some qualifying laps at Brands Hatch in the 650S and couldn’t break through 1:30 - my best time was a distinctly unimpressive 1:30.282

I can see maybe shaving off tenths here and there with continued practise but whole seconds seem out of reach without a change in how I’m actually approaching things. I’m not striving for records, just something slightly less embarrassing lol.

I have watched a couple of track guides on YouTube and they look great but it’s quite hard to translate to my own driving when I don’t really know all the intricacies of what they are doing with brake and throttle to manoeuvre the car like magicians. Definitely something I’ll watch more of though.

Last edited:
Soldato
With a 1.30 plus it's more than just brakes. My guess is your going in too hot in to corners, the combination of the 650 and VR will do that. It's a fun aggressive low down car, i guarantee you're missing every braking point. Carrying flowing speed around most bends at brands is essential and why i realised i was scrubbing too much of with heavy braking, you won't be anywhere near that when you go too fast in with no hope of carrying speed in to the exit.

I've found that braking points come at you far quicker in VR, you need that split second corner of the eye reaction if your attempting to translate what you've watched on youtube to your drive in VR. Brake a little earlier so the aerodynamic carries the car on line and punch those apexes. VR really will help you visually on the later, and the more you understand the flow, the more confident you'll become with the braking point.

For reference, i was lapping 1.25 and wondering why i was a second down on the guys running flat 1.24... the softer braking instantly gave me that second and put me on the pace.

Change up the 650 to a Aston or a Lexus while you learn. I love the 650 personally, but it's sadly slow and unforgiving when you get carried away with it:)

Soldato
just done literally a couple laps in the Lexus with a conscious effort to brake earlier and already clocked a 129.364 so it holds promise!

Time to put some more practise in, thanks for the pointer

edit - 128.200.... we’re on the way!

edit - 127.225... 126.993 in Zee Ferrari which I think I’m preferring the feel of to the Aston or the Lexus.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I don't get.

Was watching a lad at Spa in the Lambo and he was averaging 2.18s no problems. Braking way later than I can in the Aston. I switched from the Lambo as Aston is easier.

Coming into Les Combes, I brake just before the rumble strip on the left. This guy was braking way after the rumble strip started. Bruxelles I brake at the start of the rumble strip, he was braking way after.

If I'm accelerating until where he was braking, I'm not making any one of those corners.

Soldato
You can only imagine a lot of that is in the setup, Les Combes perhaps trailing then throwing it over the inside. Setups aren't my thing, but it stands to reason that you're dialled in you can make your ride do the thing you want it to do while driving it accordingly. Just on the default Lexus i nail flat 2.19's in a race, 2.18 would be possible if i could gauge the final chicane, everybody outbreaks me there and i can't fathom why.

126.993 in Zee Ferrari which I think I’m preferring the feel of to the Aston or the Lexus.

It gets easier, grats on busting up those numbers.

Associate
just done literally a couple laps in the Lexus with a conscious effort to brake earlier and already clocked a 129.364 so it holds promise!

Time to put some more practise in, thanks for the pointer

edit - 128.200.... we’re on the way!

edit - 127.225... 126.993 in Zee Ferrari which I think I’m preferring the feel of to the Aston or the Lexus.
Good to see your getting there but be careful about comparing times in random practice or race sessions where temp and track conditions can have a big influence on lap time. Best place to see where you stack up is in the special events where conditions are fixed. If you pick one of the hotlap events they have the most participation so will give you the most accurate picture of how you stack up. My target is always to get within 102% of the fastest time. The Aston GT3 at Oulton Park is one currently running and a good combo.

In terms of going quickly, I'm only a little above average, you need to concentrate on line and braking. For the former go round the track slowly and see which curbs you can attack and which you need to take care of, more true in mid/rear engine cars, and explore the track limits. On some tracks like Misano you can get away with murder while on the new British GT tracks the limits are much stricter. For braking its all about controlling the weight transfer of the car and managing the available grip front to rear. Absolutely critical in the Porsche, which is what I drive 99% of the time. You can get into the brakes hard and use the downshifts to help with engine braking but a smooth gradual release off the brakes to avoid suddenly provoking understeer is the most important part IMO.

Associate
Sadly ffb is pretty vague on my G29 compared to other sims.
Ive tried every setting suggested on countless sites,forums etc even what Ares himself suggests but still not happy with it on this wheel.

As for tips pick a car and stick with it same it, try all tracks to see what you enjoy then put in lap after lap after lap.

This might help with car choice.
Have you done the LUT trick? I found it helped a lot when I was using my G29

Back
Top Bottom