Talk to me about being a Vegan?

Soldato
Most of the animals we keep in farms have been selectively bred for their farm qualities, they wouldn't exist in nature.

That was exactly the point I was making. And it's a huge point because at least some of our agriculture still needs animal waste to function. Without farm animal waste the reliance will have to be on reploughing the stems and stalks back into the earth to get any kind of biomass back into it. Or just using huge quantities of synthetics. Or human waste (which was banned about 20 years ago but will almost certainly have to make a comeback). If I put something the size of a seed into the ground, and when I harvest it, it's the size of a carrot, or a lettuce, or a cabbage, or a soya plant - all that biomass has to come from the soil and water. And if you don't put that biomass back in after every crop then your crops get worse and worse until they fail completely.

Permabanned
I do love travelling to Asia, and the people there. But they are utter scum when it comes to animal welfare!
thats because it's only there to eat ..unlike us they don't give it names and food is food to them from spiders to everything ..
yes i like my meat well cared for because it's better quality but an asian family living in a mud hut don't as long as there belly's are full.
you could do it a different way and say if you can kill it and chop it up you can eat it .. 70% or more could not .. lol i'd go as far as saying 50% don't even know what the animal looks like before its put into plastic trays .
i'd never be a vegan/vegetarian because i don't eat fruit or a lot of veg (mushrooms sweetcorn peppers and onions a few toms thats it ) and can't eat nuts ..
but a question ? what will you do when they bring out insect food will you eat it ?

Soldato
I don't know where the idea that vegan food is more expensive comes from either. The standard pack of Tofu I buy costs £2 (on offer atm for £1.50), weighs like 400g and gives 480kcal and 48g of protein. Slightly more expensive than cheap chicken, but not massively (when on offer like today its cheaper). But you don't eat that with every meal anyway, simple veg is very very cheap - a can of butter beans costs like 60p, gives 214 kcal and 14.2g of protein. You literally can't eat cheaper than eating vegetables.

Permabanned
Come on there is no excuse for boiling dogs alive or skinning things alive. Kill it quick and don't treat it like crap.
did we not do the same to other humans .. ?maybe there just behind the times ? or just not taught ? most of it is a 3rd world country ..and putting your beliefs on what they do is not going to change it ..
Jews and Muslims still slit the throat of animals.. is that any better ?

Soldato
I would recommend making twists on your normal dishes but without meat to start. For instance you could do bean chilli or lentil bolognese or plant based curry and see how you like it. You can then start to see what works and what doesn’t.
I think Ottolenghi has a lot of great recipes with veg that you could try out as well.

For me, it has been about minimising stuff bought from supermarkets and buying cheap meats and cheap fish products. Could I go vegan? No, I think cutting out eggs and cheese would be too hard for me personally. I am essentially vegetarian and I am happy with the balance.

m&S do quite a lot of decent vegan ingredients too. I was v impressed with a lot of what I found. I came across vegan bechamel which I actually preferred.

So OP, good luck with your journey. Gradual start rather than culture shock would be my suggestion. You’re being kind to the planet with your choice but be kind to yourself whilst implementing it.

Soldato
I've been eating a number of vegetarian options each week for awhile now, mostly for health reasons if I'm honest as I'll never give up meat, the moral arguments about the animals 'wanting to live' don't bother me in the least. That said I certainly don't want unnecessary suffering, I'm against Halal and I support free range whenever possible.

Mainly I've been having vegetable stir fry's and burgers made with spices and beans in a sort of mexican style, a few kinds of soup. I'm not a fan of most meat replacement products, things like 'meat free sausages' that try to be like meat just taste vile to me.

Caporegime
I don't know where the idea that vegan food is more expensive comes from either. The standard pack of Tofu I buy costs £2 (on offer atm for £1.50), weighs like 400g and gives 480kcal and 48g of protein. Slightly more expensive than cheap chicken, but not massively (when on offer like today its cheaper). But you don't eat that with every meal anyway, simple veg is very very cheap - a can of butter beans costs like 60p, gives 214 kcal and 14.2g of protein. You literally can't eat cheaper than eating vegetables.

It's people who think being vegan means you still eat exactly what you used to before but you replace the meat with meat substitutes.

It's a bit like saying I'm going to stop drinking alcohol and rather than drinking fruit juices, smoothies, vegetable juices and the likes you start buying non alcoholic lager, cider, wine, etc and drink them constantly instead.

Fake dairy products and fake meat isn't proper vegetarian or vegan diets.

Soldato
Surely being vegan is whatever a person says it is providing they can live with themselves.

I’ve still got leather shoes from years back. They’re perfectly serviceable and an animal died to make them so why not wear them until they wear out? I wouldn’t buy a new pair but have no qualms about wearing my old ones. I’ve been completely blanked by self-righteous ***hats who clocked my shoes and decided I wasn’t committed enough to the cause. I try really hard not to judge anyone. I’m not really in a position to judge anyone.

Soldato
I've spoken to a number of vegans but I've been judged to be difficult/vegan hater if I ask any genuine but possibly contentious questions.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Its funny you say that. On my quest I asked some of the vegans I know "where do you get your protein from if you dont do meat and dairy (eggs included)". I got a bit of a frosty reception but I just made it clear that as I had given up animal products I was genuinely interested. I do how ever eat eggs from my friends rescued battery hens after seeing them running around freely that are actually pets rather than just a food source or friends as they call them.

@LiE you probably don;t eat much as you're a swole boi but do you know of any Vegan chocolate that tastes as good as that derived from milk fats? I'd have no issue going veggy / vegan (now that I'm having Huel most of my animal intake is reducing anyways) but the OH is a choclate fiend and without a subsitute I don;t think she'd ever move away from it.
The MOO stuff isnt that bad and now Sainsburys do a couple of their own ranges, the butterscotch one I quite like and they do a darkish nut crunch one that doesnt have real nuts in. Mind blown. I have to say that over the last few/couple of years things have really picked up for dairy free chocolate. Especialy easter eggs
Fake dairy products and fake meat isn't proper vegetarian or vegan diets.
Of course it is.

Its good to see this thread.

Soldato
Surely being vegan is whatever a person says it is providing they can live with themselves.

I’ve still got leather shoes from years back. They’re perfectly serviceable and an animal died to make them so why not wear them until they wear out? I wouldn’t buy a new pair but have no qualms about wearing my old ones. I’ve been completely blanked by self-righteous ***hats who clocked my shoes and decided I wasn’t committed enough to the cause. I try really hard not to judge anyone. I’m not really in a position to judge anyone.
Same here I still have a couple of leather belts but trying to buy a non leather card holder was exhausting.

Caporegime

Adidas I believe brought out a vegan trainer. I'm sure it was them I can't remember where I saw it now.

I'm not saying you should go out and buy them but I found it pretty interesting how fake leather was seen as cheap and nasty stuff in the past. Now it's being marketed as vegan and likley at a premium. I'm sure some people would see a product like that and think wow I must buy it but I saw it and thought won't likley last as long as the real thing or look as good.

It's the same with fake meat and fake cheese. It's pretty nasty stuff some of it. It's loaded with all sorts of refined crap and you are so much better off just making the proper vegetarian alternative from scratch. With cheese that's hard to do so best either eating the real thing or just stop eating it altogether like a real vegan or find a different alternative. Vegan mayo is an interesting one it's worse for you than real mayo much like vegan cheeses.

You want a beef burger? Why not try a chickpea burger instead made from scratch? Lime zest with other veg added in and some flour. Make into patties and fry lightly there's a great recipe on hellofresh for the one we make.

The only fake meat I've had that I thought was decent is the Vivera schwarma and that's mainly because of all the additional spices I add to it and lemon juice even though it already comes spiced and pretty much ready to eat I don't all again from scratch. The other is meatballs. Again that's likley down to the sauce and the fact i fry them in garlic infused oil to get the flavours soaked into them.

I don't think you can say I'm vegan and then eat eggs, dairy, etc. I know someone who says they are vegan and they have been strict vegetarians the majority of their lives for religious reasons. However they will still eat butter, cheese, etc. He's just a vegetarian that doesn't take cow's milk in reality as he uses nut milks and he does buy vegan butter and cheeses but if he goes to someone else's house he will happily eat the real thing (cheese and butter). He even says it himself he's 90% vegan. You either go vegan and give up cheese and stay away from the fake stuff or just go vegetarian. Anyone who buys all the fake dairy and meat alternatives constantly is just kidding themselves on. It's also terrible for you. I'd rather eat the real thing.

The same way I'm 90% vegan although I also had a big Mac and chicken nuggets last week. 95% of all other food I ate was vegetarian and 90% vegan. Therefore I cannot seriously call myself a vegan or vegetarian even though it is what I eat majority of the time. In fact that big Mac and chicken nuggets is the only meat I've ate at home in 4 months. One meat meal in 4 months at home and I've spent the majority of my time at home. I cannot just call myself vegan if though the large majority of what I eat is.

If OP really wants to know where to get protein from that pretty much tells you that they know nothing about nutrition or food and should be broadening their horizons rather than looking for fake alternatives. You don't actually require huge amounts of protein not unless you are a bodybuilder and taking steroids to be able to absorb and make use of large amounts of protein. Even a normal person who goes to the gym regularly and trains hard doesn't require massive amounts of protein daily. There is only so much muscle your genetics will allow you to make in a day and carry naturally and you can easily get that amount without even trying if you eat real food.

Lentils (soup or daal)
Nuts (peanut butter, cashew powder count as well)
Beans (all the various types edamame, kidney, baked, black eyed, etc)
Chickpeas (hummus counts too)
Peas (have on the side or in rice or curries)
Chia seeds (put into porridge and smoothies)
Rice

If you want you can add eggs and dairy into that if you aren't vegan.

Eggs are the most easily digestible form of protein you can eat. So if you are worried about protein have eggs for breakfast or lunch, egg fried rice, egg on top of a meal, egg in a pitta with falafels or chickpea burger. There is a reason why jay cutler whilst going for Mr universe ate 300 egg whites per day. Protein doesn't get much better than eggs nutritionally although you should always eat in moderation and vary the source of protein.

It's also information easily available on Google. That's the reason why vegans will have been so negative towards the question because it's pretty easy to find the answer for and it's something they get ridiculed on by people who are clueless about protein. The amount of times they will have been told you cannot be getting enough protein or this and that on a vegan diet. Also on a vegan diet it's important that you know what it is your eating and getting all the nutrients that you need and these fake meats and fake dairy alternatives tend to be the least nutrient dense foods available for a proper vegetarian diet.

Worst comes to worst I'm sure there are at least 100 different vegan bodybuilders on YouTube who would love some views if you're still struggling.

I could never go full vegan but I'm seriously considering full vegetarian or pescatarian.

There's a place in the south side which does the best cakes and they are eggless. It's what we get for occasions now like birthdays, etc. I had some leftover and took into work a few years back and you should have seen the number of people who would normally have been all over cake refused to try it because it was eggless. It said it on the box I think the company may be even card the eggless cake company or something. Those that did try it commented on how light it was and tasty and couldn't tell it was eggless.

That's the reason why a lot of vegans and vegetarians are wary of people because the majority don't have a clue about food and turn their noses to vegans and vegetarians with zero basis for it.

There's so many tasty real vegetarian foods it's a shame so many are narrow minded.

Avocados is one of my favourite things to eat and a real superfood. It's got so much variance on uses too. On toast, guacamole, in burritos, salads, etc.

Salad is another favourite of mine. Especially gherkins but I like tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, pickled beetroot, etc.

Jars of pitted black olives.

Fresh green olives stuffed with garlic.

Buy real food and broaden your horizons. Fake meat should only be looked at as a food you eat when really craving meat. Not something you eat several times a week.

After writing all of this I could murder a mixed German doner kebab from the GDK franchise. Oh well Vivera schwarma which I haven't had in 6 or so months will need to be added onto the next shopping list.

Soldato
@LiE I've just read through the whole thread as you're comments sum up why I went vegan, it's so refreshing to see another perspective put so eloquently. I went vegan for the animals, def not health, but I really struggle with plastics from some of the major stores....it's my next project to work on lol.

Are you going to camp out this year?

Soldato
I've just made a vegan mac and cheese. Uses nutritional yeast instead of cheese. (it's a Deliciously Ella recipe)

Not too bad! Obviously doesn't have that awesome omg my veins are going to clog with this amount of gooey cheese feeling but it hits the spot. I added extra broccoli to help pad it out a bit too.

And yes that cost peanuts to make. My comments earlier about vegan food being expensive, is I meant the vegan alternatives, such as 'chicken', sausages etc. Without those, yes you can eat very well for not much, as veg/lentils/pulses etc are generally very cheap.

Associate
I've just made a vegan mac and cheese. Uses nutritional yeast instead of cheese. (it's a Deliciously Ella recipe)

Not too bad! Obviously doesn't have that awesome omg my veins are going to clog with this amount of gooey cheese feeling but it hits the spot. I added extra broccoli to help pad it out a bit too.

And yes that cost peanuts to make. My comments earlier about vegan food being expensive, is I meant the vegan alternatives, such as 'chicken', sausages etc. Without those, yes you can eat very well for not much, as veg/lentils/pulses etc are generally very cheap.

I make a vegan Mac cheese every now & then. I don't enjoy making bechemels so I make a simple white sauce from potatoes, carrot and cashew. Nutritional yeast as you say for some cheesiness:) Works well for lasagna as well.

My current favourite is mushroom & tofu scramble in pitta for breakfast. Cook off some mushrooms then crumble some pressed firm tofu, add paprika, turmeric, cayenne, a bit of cumin, garlic & nutritional yeast. Finish with some tamari & serve in pitta.

Be wary if you're new to veganism.. it's very easy to *not* lose weight if that's one of your goals. Breakfasts like the above do not help:p

Back
Top Bottom