Fault finding optical sound connection

Soldato
Long story short I'm having to use the optical out of my new LG TV as my receiver does not have HDMI 1.4 to utilise the ACR.

I found an optical cable and for testing purposes I've plugged it into my Optical out from my AV receiver (I see a red light emitted from the port) and looking at the other end of the cable I dont see a red light.

I tested the cable on my desktop computer and again don't see a red light emitted from the other end of the optical cable.

Is my cable faulty or am I missing a step?

Soldato
The Av receiver surely wouldn't transmit so wouldn't send a light? EDIT just saw optical out please ignore! Is there no red light when it's in the TV end? Also is it enabled on the TV?

Soldato
Long story short I'm having to use the optical out of my new LG TV as my receiver does not have HDMI 1.4 to utilise the ACR.

I found an optical cable and for testing purposes I've plugged it into my Optical out from my AV receiver (I see a red light emitted from the port) and looking at the other end of the cable I dont see a red light.

I tested the cable on my desktop computer and again don't see a red light emitted from the other end of the optical cable.

Is my cable faulty or am I missing a step?
Just checked my end of the optical cable and I have no light either.

Edit: Although I have just turned my TV on and there is a light now. Duh!

Soldato
If optical out is working from the source then it should show at the end of the cable.

Faulty cable.

Yeap a faulty cable.

I've been using Optical cables since 1998-ish (minidisc players) up to today (TV to soundbar) and the tech hasn't changed since so, if you can see a red light in the output connector before you plug the cable in, then there should be a red light at the other end of the cable after it's plugged in, if the cable and the plugs are good.

The cables themselves are pretty sturdy considering so it's more likely to be a blockage (dirt etc) in one of the plugs rather than an actual breakage in the cable.

Back
Top Bottom