• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So did anyone actually get a 3060?

Associate
Almost feels like it, which is a bit weird considering the prize is being able to buy an item at its intended price. :p

Congratulations, hopefully with the benefit of dlss/upscaling it will serve you well in games for several years to come

Associate
Don't worry all the AMD/Nvidia supporters will go on how its all about XYZ price increases,miners,coronavirus,Martians,etc and how its all according to plan. It was the same excuses when Nvidia made £1000 GPUs a thing nearly a decade ago. But despite all these "cost increases" these poor charities,have to put up with,it seems every quarter is another record one WRT to revenue,margins,etc. Dell,Sony,MS,etc,ie,all the large companies seem to have no problem paying lower prices than us for all these "hard to get" parts. Shame it seems the consumer has to keep reducing their margins. Let every company follow the Apple model,and most people won't get paid decently whilst paying through the nose for everything. All the money goes poof somewhere(perhaps some nice warm tax haven).

Edit!!

The future of gaming for us plebs is now consoles,tablets,phones,an abacus,etc. Gaming PCs according to the accountants who now run things are for the rich and whales. The same accountants who increasingly ruin PC games with all those cheap microtransactions.
Tbh at these prices, I can’t see the PC gaming market thrive in the next few years unless we see some wealth redistribution.

Caporegime
people if they cant get the cards will just buy systems then sell the rest to get the cards. buy a system for under 2 grand with a 3080 in. sell rest keep 3080. people are already doing this.

some are also just having the systems on 12 months interest free using it to mine on and it could pay itself off during that period if you luck or did it earlier. so you get a top end system for nothing.

also pc gaming market thriving wont matter to companies still selling the parts. as long as they selling them doesnt matter who its to. they still sold.

Soldato
Tbh at these prices, I can’t see the PC gaming market thrive in the next few years unless we see some wealth redistribution.

Also the PC games which remain will cater to the mass audience,so won't prioritise appearance if huge numbers of the market are stuck on older or less powerful hardware.The part of the market which will start to suffer is all the very pretty games,if the average gamer has weak hardware or is keeping it longer. ATM,IIRC it is at least 70% to 75% of all computer gaming revenue is not on PC,and a lot of the remaining PC gaming revenue is e-sports titles and MMOs. Most of these are very cartoony in art style so they can run on slower hardware(laptop GPUs). The issue these are the very same titles which can be ported to other platforms too,especially if they also start to support keyboard and mouse!

Soldato
On the back of my post about the benefits and drawbacks of upgrading to a 3060 from my 1660, (same 192 memory bus bits, more render shaders, cores etc, double the VRAM newer GA106 GPU etc.) I didn't actually get the 3060; 'twas a combination of stock lacking and silly prices.

It just didn't seem worth the performance increase for over my 1660. I am going to just wait this one out and aim for a 3070 or higher card, I might even get a 4000 series card before any of the 3000 series cards actually even come back in stock haha :D

Also the PC games which remain will cater to the mass audience,so won't prioritise appearance if huge numbers of the market are stuck on older or less powerful hardware.The part of the market which will start to suffer is all the very pretty games,if the average gamer has weak hardware or is keeping it longer. ATM,IIRC it is at least 70% to 75% of all computer gaming revenue is not on PC,and a lot of the remaining PC gaming revenue is e-sports titles and MMOs. Most of these are very cartoony in art style so they can run on slower hardware(laptop GPUs). The issue these are the very same titles which can be ported to other platforms too,especially if they also start to support keyboard and mouse!

I am very worried about this, there will be lots of job losses and a massive hole in a very creative sector and in my heart as an avid gamer.

Last edited:
Soldato
On the back of my post about the benefits and drawbacks of upgrading to a 3060 from my 1660, (same 192 memory bus bits, more render shaders, cores etc, double the VRAM newer GA106 GPU etc.) I didn't actually get the 3060; 'twas a combination of stock lacking and silly prices.

It just didn't seem worth the performance increase for over my 1660. I am going to just wait this one out and aim for a 3070 or higher card, I might even get a 4000 series card before any of the 3000 series cards actually even come back in stock haha :D

I am very worried about this, there will be lots of job losses and a massive hole in a very creative sector and in my heart as an avid gamer.

I posted something very similar to this a while ago about this mid/high end lack of available hardware. I wasn't saying pc gaming is dead (that old chestnut) but if the current situation continues, its going to hit the production of "decent" games being developed and we'll all be playing "Dota 4" and "rocket league" type games with rx6800xt and 3080 type cards.

Man of Honour
I dunno, I think it would have to continue for a very long time to have that sort of impact because:
a) The lead time for releasing "decent" games is pretty long, I mean anything major coming out in 2021 and a good chunk of big 2022 titles will have already been kicked off prior to the supply drying up
b) On a forum like this you'd get the impression that PC gaming only takes place on high end hardware, but actually the majority of games will be getting sold to people with hardware we consider mid-range at best. If you look at Steam hardware survey, top 4 GPUs by market share, the fastest of them is a 1060. It's understandable why there might not be many NV3000 or RX6000 gpus sitting in gamer rigs, but the earlier series were out for ages prior to shortages. I accept that some of the people with weaker GPUs won't be playing the latest games but I don't think low market penetration really prevents the sale of games.
c) Console architectures are converging to some extent with PC so if we assume that developers will continue making games for consoles, the effort to port to PC might not be as great as it once was
d) GPU power isn't THAT big a constraint on the ability to create decent games any more. Think about your favourite PC games of all time. How many of them NEED a high end GPU to be a decent game? Sure back in the 90s and 00s you'd get the latest and greatest FPS game would come out wanting a beefy system to run them well, but mediocre GPUs today are more powerful than we had back then. We know good games can be made for rubbish hardware because they already have been when no better hardware was available.

Permabanned
I dunno, I think it would have to continue for a very long time to have that sort of impact because:
a) The lead time for releasing "decent" games is pretty long, I mean anything major coming out in 2021 and a good chunk of big 2022 titles will have already been kicked off prior to the supply drying up
b) On a forum like this you'd get the impression that PC gaming only takes place on high end hardware, but actually the majority of games will be getting sold to people with hardware we consider mid-range at best. If you look at Steam hardware survey, top 4 GPUs by market share, the fastest of them is a 1060. It's understandable why there might not be many NV3000 or RX6000 gpus sitting in gamer rigs, but the earlier series were out for ages prior to shortages. I accept that some of the people with weaker GPUs won't be playing the latest games but I don't think low market penetration really prevents the sale of games.
c) Console architectures are converging to some extent with PC so if we assume that developers will continue making games for consoles, the effort to port to PC might not be as great as it once was
d) GPU power isn't THAT big a constraint on the ability to create decent games any more. Think about your favourite PC games of all time. How many of them NEED a high end GPU to be a decent game? Sure back in the 90s and 00s you'd get the latest and greatest FPS game would come out wanting a beefy system to run them well, but mediocre GPUs today are more powerful than we had back then. We know good games can be made for rubbish hardware because they already have been when no better hardware was available.

Streets of rage 4 doesn't need a high end GPU, neither does MK11

Man of Honour
people if they cant get the cards will just buy systems then sell the rest to get the cards. buy a system for under 2 grand with a 3080 in. sell rest keep 3080. people are already doing this.

some are also just having the systems on 12 months interest free using it to mine on and it could pay itself off during that period if you luck or did it earlier. so you get a top end system for nothing.

also pc gaming market thriving wont matter to companies still selling the parts. as long as they selling them doesnt matter who its to. they still sold.

If I was running a graphics card company I'd be giving serious thought to acknowledging the main market and marketing cards to miners. The only downside is bad publicity - you could sell more cards at higher prices. Graphics cards are already priced out of the mainstream PC gaming market and usually unavailable anyway.

There's no way I'm paying £550 for a budget graphics card. That's silly. I'll keep on with my 1070Ti and if the situation hasn't changed drastically by the time it becomes completely obsolete I'll look into the possibility of finding a way to make it possible for me to game on a console. Or just play old games.

Associate
Lots of scalpers got 3060s, plenty selling on ebay for 500 to 600 quid. This is the biggest difference for me between the last mining craze and now. We don't just have the problem of miners buying up the cards but scalpers. Until people stop buying of scalpers they will not stop. Nvidia and AMD can clearly point to the market and say that they are under valuing their cards as people are prepared to buy from scalpers at double the MRSP.

Associate
Lots of scalpers got 3060s, plenty selling on ebay for 500 to 600 quid. This is the biggest difference for me between the last mining craze and now. We don't just have the problem of miners buying up the cards but scalpers. Until people stop buying of scalpers they will not stop. Nvidia and AMD can clearly point to the market and say that they are under valuing their cards as people are prepared to buy from scalpers at double the MRSP.
This is what im sacred.
When amd and nvidia decide that cheapest card must be 500£ and ppl will buy it. this right there that will do most of a damage.

Its time some new players come into the market. Competition is the only way to drive prices down. Or scaling up the manufacturing.

Associate
This is what im sacred.
When amd and nvidia decide that cheapest card must be 500£ and ppl will buy it. this right there that will do most of a damage.

Its time some new players come into the market. Competition is the only way to drive prices down. Or scaling up the manufacturing.

I can’t believe people buy these cards at 500 - 600 pounds from scalpers. PC gaming is getting too expensive for a lot of people if this sort of pricing continues. If you look at the performance of the current console gen at the fraction of the price then I can see a lot people jumping ship rather than upgrade, especially casual gamers who are the majority here.

Been reading several articles now that GPU stock won’t recover until 2022. I hope that that isn’t the case but at that point you’d have to weigh up waiting for the incoming 4000 series cards rather than paying full whack for effectively‘ old’ technology.

Associate
This is what im sacred.

Not going to happen once the bum falls out the mining market, people wont be falling over themselfs to buy a product at £599 that normally retails for £299 or less. Its the fact everyone and his dog thinks easy money is out there to be made and thats very true if you got in last month or prior. Plus no one as anything to do but sit in the house gaming for the last 6 months so thats not helped but once the airports open up etc and people can spend there income on other things like, holidays, hookers and class A's. Things will go back to normal as stock starts to fill up shelfs.

As a grown man I can resit being ripped off by this place and others. Ill just soldier on with my 1070gtx. Will wait for the crash and buy a cheap 3070s, 3080 or whatever is launched by then. Like last time as soon as the crash starts, people fall over themselfes to recoup their inital outlay as panic sets in.

What goes up must come down. Simples.

Associate
I can’t believe people buy these cards at 500 - 600 pounds from scalpers. PC gaming is getting too expensive for a lot of people if this sort of pricing continues. If you look at the performance of the current console gen at the fraction of the price then I can see a lot people jumping ship rather than upgrade, especially casual gamers who are the majority here.

Been reading several articles now that GPU stock won’t recover until 2022. I hope that that isn’t the case but at that point you’d have to weigh up waiting for the incoming 4000 series cards rather than paying full whack for effectively‘ old’ technology.

I would love to jump on console, but montly sub to play online and 60£ + game price tags keeps me away from that toxic ******** of a market.

PC is expensive, yes but its mine to do what i want, modify the way i want, crack hardware and software the way i want, that freedom is the only reason im pc gamer. Consoles are like some one in prison.

Associate
Not going to happen once the bum falls out the mining market, people wont be falling over themselfs to buy a product at £599 that normally retails for £299 or less. Its the fact everyone and his dog thinks easy money is out there to be made and thats very true if you got in last month or prior. Plus no one as anything to do but sit in the house gaming for the last 6 months so thats not helped but once the airports open up etc and people can spend there income on other things like, holidays, hookers and class A's. Things will go back to normal as stock starts to fill up shelfs.

As a grown man I can resit being ripped off by this place and others. Ill just soldier on with my 1070gtx. Will wait for the crash and buy a cheap 3070s, 3080 or whatever is launched by then. Like last time as soon as the crash starts, people fall over themselfes to recoup their inital outlay as panic sets in.

wise words. im on board with you here.
got lucky,, some one on this forum sold me 2 years old 1080 to ride the storm. but once the prices goes back 6800xt here i come.

Soldato
I would love to jump on console, but montly sub to play online and 60£ + game price tags keeps me away from that toxic ******** of a market.

PC is expensive, yes but its mine to do what i want, modify the way i want, crack hardware and software the way i want, that freedom is the only reason im pc gamer. Consoles are like some one in prison.

I did it, bought gamepass ultimate subscription and there isn't enough spare time to get through all the games I want to play, it's amazing and as long as the price doesn't start to creep up I'm more than happy

Paying these prices for a GPU is a mugs game just get out while prices are high, I'm not the only one thats done this there are plenty of others embracing the simple life

Soldato
Just watching an MSI 3060ti Trio on a certain auction site sitting at £950. Next rung up, so anyone who snagged a 3060 at £500 maybe didn't do too bad?
*edit ... yep 4th tier ampere at £950. Bananas.

Soldato

Mining is already becoming unprofitable. Ethereum has fallen a fair bit over the last week and miners are making at least 40% less than they were. Many will either have to move to another cryptocurrency or sell up soon as PoS is looming. AMD is concentrating on consoles while Nvidia aIB's appear to be selling to miners in bulk. The shortage will hopefully start to subside in two months imo.

Back
Top Bottom