• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone else tempted to cash in on the crazy prices?

Soldato
If you can sell safely seems like a good time for it. Then again seems like the price of cards has the potential to go up even more if anything! With new card supply issues for the foreseeable future and likelihood that mining will remain popular unless there's some massive crypto crash who's to say prices won't keep increasing...

Soldato
Maybe, maybe not. Recording the serial# and taking pics is a good way to go.
Sadly, even that's unlikely to do anything if you run into a scammer. They can just claim that the item you took pictures of isn't the item they received. There's really no way to combat a claim that they didn't receive the correct item. Ebay will side with the buyer every time. I've even heard of people taking videos of them packing up the item and Ebay not wanting to know, because again I suppose you can't prove you actually sent that package. Refusing to accept Paypal and having the person pay in cash is basically the only way to ensure you don't get scammed. Though that opens up the risk of being stabbed instead...

Man of Honour
If you can sell safely seems like a good time for it. Then again seems like the price of cards has the potential to go up even more if anything! With new card supply issues for the foreseeable future and likelihood that mining will remain popular unless there's some massive crypto crash who's to say prices won't keep increasing...
Personally I don't see older cards having much more to rise, unless somehow mining becomes significantly more profitable (i.e. crypto value increasing a lot faster than mining difficulty and electricity costs).
I guess it depends a bit what utility people are currently getting from their cards, e.g. are they mining themselves or using the GPU regularly in a second PC or whatever. If it's literally sat around doing nothing I would sell.

It's a tough one, on the one hand right now I don't think my son would notice much difference if I sold the RX480 and put an old 7950 in (he's too young to play hardcore games, Fortnite etc), on the other hand in a couple of years as he gets more used to PC gaming he might, and I'd hate to be in a situation where it would still cost several hundred pounds to get RX480 performance levels back. Also provides me a backup card if my 1070ti were to die for some reason.

Soldato
Personally I don't see older cards having much more to rise, unless somehow mining becomes significantly more profitable (i.e. crypto value increasing a lot faster than mining difficulty and electricity costs).
I guess it depends a bit what utility people are currently getting from their cards, e.g. are they mining themselves or using the GPU regularly in a second PC or whatever. If it's literally sat around doing nothing I would sell.

It's a tough one, on the one hand right now I don't think my son would notice much difference if I sold the RX480 and put an old 7950 in (he's too young to play hardcore games, Fortnite etc), on the other hand in a couple of years as he gets more used to PC gaming he might, and I'd hate to be in a situation where it would still cost several hundred pounds to get RX480 performance levels back. Also provides me a backup card if my 1070ti were to die for some reason.

Pretty much what I did to my downstairs media system, it really didn't need 2 480s in it when all I do is watch movies and youtube when friends are down. My 7950 can probably still play cs:go or tf2 if the mood takes me. A lot of the crypto boom is driven by panic from epic money printing by governments, not really sure on the details of the chip shortage but I assume it's also to do with covid. Could have another month or two in price rises until things start to fall. I get the feeling the chip issue is a long term thing, though, from what I'm seeing in the tesla community, anyway.

Soldato
it would be sold . why keep it ? especially with what money you can get for it. ebay i would only take bank transfer tbh. too much scammage.
If you go with eBay and use bank transfer then that’s even less protection for you as a seller when compared with using PayPal.

At least with PayPal there is actually a better arbitration process. eBay just automatically side with buyer 99.999% cases.

I definitely wouldn’t sell any of these cards on eBay 1) their intrinsic value 2) their scarcity 3) the cost of postage and insurance 4) the faff involved with PayPal.

Soldato
No, because I'd be a hyprocrite then and few things in life are worse than that.
This is a major misconception. The late David Fleming said it best:

“If an argument is a good one, dissonant deeds do nothing to contradict it. In fact, the hypocrite may have something to be said for him… There is no reason why he should not argue for standards better than he manages to achieve in his own life. Indeed, it would be worrying if his ideals were not better than the way he lives."

"...it would be worrying if his ideals were not better than the way he lives."

Associate
No I say keep it, You were lucky enough to get the cards, if you need the money (not saying you do) you should not of bought the cards. Don't be part of this horrific display of human greed!

Soldato
I am staggered by what some cards are going for. Just watched a 2070 Super go for £710. You know that last 10 seconds of "buyers remorse" I can not lose it now! bidding? Went from a stupid 650 to 710. I could almost hear the Woohoo! from the seller.

Caporegime
If you go with eBay and use bank transfer then that’s even less protection for you as a seller when compared with using PayPal.

At least with PayPal there is actually a better arbitration process. eBay just automatically side with buyer 99.999% cases.

I definitely wouldn’t sell any of these cards on eBay 1) their intrinsic value 2) their scarcity 3) the cost of postage and insurance 4) the faff involved with PayPal.

i dont mean sell on ebay wouldnt touch ebay. just do facebook. take bank transfer.

Soldato
i dont mean sell on ebay wouldnt touch ebay. just do facebook. take bank transfer.
Ya for sure. FB so much easier. Tho I get people ask me on FB Marketplace to pay me via PayPal (not gift) I laugh at them. They want “insurance” and “protection” aka pull my pants down and take me hard...no thanks.

Soldato
If you can secure a lower end card for a good price, then I would say sure, do it. Take the opportunity to make money. Just know that you may not be able to get a powerhouse for some time.

Soldato
Sadly, even that's unlikely to do anything if you run into a scammer. They can just claim that the item you took pictures of isn't the item they received. There's really no way to combat a claim that they didn't receive the correct item. Ebay will side with the buyer every time. I've even heard of people taking videos of them packing up the item and Ebay not wanting to know, because again I suppose you can't prove you actually sent that package. Refusing to accept Paypal and having the person pay in cash is basically the only way to ensure you don't get scammed. Though that opens up the risk of being stabbed instead...

Thats why you need to do a bit of research on the buyer(s) before the auction ends (if not using BIN). Even when it does end you can sound the buyer out. I tend to remove ones with less than 20 rating and also to contact a few before the auction ends. If I dont get a reply then they get kicked as well. If its BIN you can still check them out to a certain degree. Nothing is fool proof though. Although if you have had enough bad experiences you do start to stop the ones that will cause you trouble and can steer clear. If I have a problem with a BIN you can just cancel the auction so you dont have to send the item (also depends whether you tick payment on BIN too!) unless you are 100% happy. It then refunds the money and takes 14 days which annoys the buyer too. I often get a ton of fake bidders my blocked list must be about 200-300.

Man of Honour
This is a major misconception. The late David Fleming said it best:

“If an argument is a good one, dissonant deeds do nothing to contradict it. In fact, the hypocrite may have something to be said for him… There is no reason why he should not argue for standards better than he manages to achieve in his own life. Indeed, it would be worrying if his ideals were not better than the way he lives."

"...it would be worrying if his ideals were not better than the way he lives."

Yeah I felt similar reading that, being tempted to cash in doesn't make one a hypocrite, as it is selling an existing card (increasing supply) rather than just hoovering up stock with the intention of re-selling. Ultimately if you put aa card up for sale and it sells that isn't contributing to the problem, if anything it is servicing the demand and putting downwards pressure on prices.

Permabanned
I used to have a bit of internal conflict with this sort of thing but now I just think sod it, if someone is willing to pay it then that’s up to them. If they are getting a bad deal then it’s a lesson they need to learn.

I don’t really care if someone is paying way over the odds I won’t pay it and that’s all that matters.

Caporegime
I am staggered by what some cards are going for. Just watched a 2070 Super go for £710. You know that last 10 seconds of "buyers remorse" I can not lose it now! bidding? Went from a stupid 650 to 710. I could almost hear the Woohoo! from the seller.

Lol wtf?

People really are getting silly about this now/losing all sense of perspective

You can buy whole machines with decent cpu/ram/psu etc a 1660super in it for less than that and the hash rates aren't massively more for a 2070s.

You can also still get whole really good 3060ti /3070 machines for ~£1100-£1200.

You would have to be certifiably insane to spend £710 on a used 2070super.

Back
Top Bottom