Gaming laptop

Soldato
Anyone tell me if this is a okish deal please. Bit behind on gaming laptop specs these days. But it is the following spec for £1420. Thanks.

• Intel® Core™ i7 8-Core Processor 10870H
  • GeForce RTX 3070 Max-Q
  • 17" 240Hz FHD Panel (1920 x 1080), 72% NTSC
  • 16gb 2400Mhz ram
  • Huge 73Wh Battery
  • Thunderbolt™ 3
  • Multi-Colour Backlit Keyboard
  • Sound Blaster® Atlas
  • SuperSpeed USB 3.2
  • HDMI Output Connection
  • Mini Display Port
  • GeForce RTX VR Ready!
  • 1.0MP Webcam

Soldato
Want 17" and everything that is more of a brand name is close to £1800-2000 for similar spec.
No need if it's the laptop i think it is - (presumed you removed Windows) - they're great machines/chassis.

It usually is a case of if you can cope with build time?

But a 3070 Max-Q with a 17" 240Hz 72%NTSC IPS panel is great value at ~£1400 for the quality of unit.

Lead time?

Soldato
OP
Well was initially saying not available until late March but that changed yesterday. Running through it all now says 8-10 days.

Soldato
Well was initially saying not available until late March but that changed yesterday. Running through it all now says 8-10 days.
It's a no brainer on price : quality.

The only down side is if you get faulty unit - their customer service can be lacking especially in recent times.

Oddly enough, i'll be buying one virtually the same spec in April - 17" - so would be interested in your thoughts if you get one. (I've bought machines from them in the past - different chassis/builds and have been pleased. But, it's been a few years since last laptop.)

Soldato
OP
Thanks, yeah I will keep you updated and thanks for the help.

Might throw the dead pixel cover in and the arctic silver on the cpu.

Soldato
OP
I ended up going with Lenovo legion pro 5. The deal popped up as I was in process of about to order. Couldn't resist going with amd and better all around specs for £1350. While could be 5 weeks delivery, I'm not in any rush at the moment as still using that cloud gaming service shadow on an oldish laptop.

Associate
I ended up going with Lenovo legion pro 5. The deal popped up as I was in process of about to order. Couldn't resist going with amd and better all around specs for £1350. While could be 5 weeks delivery, I'm not in any rush at the moment as still using that cloud gaming service shadow on an oldish laptop.

Is that the new upcoming one with the 16" display? If so, I'm sure you won't be disappointed - will be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I was tempted to wait until it's release but I ended up biting the bullet on the existing Legion 5 variant with the 15" / 4800H / 16GB / 500GB / 2060 / 80Whr spec - very impressed overall so far, and surprised with how quick & snappy it feels when compared to my old Ryzen 5 rig (can barely tell the difference) but I am thoroughly impressed with these AMD 8C / 16T CPU's. I'm yet to test it when gaming but I'm sure it will live up to the expectations.

Let me know if you have any queries with these laptops if you're a first time Lenovo buyer and I'll be more than happy to advise.

Liam.

Soldato
OP
Yeah the 16" 165Hz 2560x1600 resolution.

I use a Lenovo for work that's about it haha.

At that point now though where the wife doesn't mind if I play a lot, just as long as I'm in the same room as her, so got a lapboard and using the cloud gaming service. While it does the job, still get the odd lag spikes and the mouse still feels a bit jerky on FPS games so want to remove that limitation.

Associate
Could you send me a message with the details on where you got this deal? I want one but can't find it to pre order

Soldato
That's a great alternative for the price - bargain.

Despite the slightly smaller screen the extra definition (1440p) and the superior CPU (when utilising all cores) makes it a very appealing laptop. Nice spot - and again i would be interested in your feedback.

got a lapboard
I've used one of these for years now - couldn't imagine using a laptop without it when working/gaming in the living room. So much easier and these thermal nuclear beasts need to breathe...

Permabanned
Get a name brand laptop with warranty.
For the specs you list £1,800 can get you a name brand quality build.

Those mobile 3070 laptops get hot paired with Intel chips if the laptop chassis is not good

Back
Top Bottom