Don't have a drill.. Sds drill?

Associate
Just keeping in mind - this question was asked by someone who doesn't own a drill. They're asking - should I buy an SDS drill because the non-hammer cordless I'm borrowing is stuggling to go through brick - as in - if I buy an SDS drill, is that going to cover me better for all situations.

And the resounding reply to that is absolutely not. And SDS drill is only really useful for very few applications when very heavy work is required. For a daily driver, a combi / hammer is going to be a much better tool - and will easily drill through what you're trying to drill through now.

Exactly!

Caporegime
OP
I guess I'm still not sure if I need an sds.

I just do not know what is behind the plasterboard.

I'm going to try with what I think is a friends combi drill. It has a little hammer symbol on it. Well, it looks like a hammer.

Soldato

I'm going to try with what I think is a friends combi drill. It has a little hammer symbol on it. Well, it looks like a hammer.
My business case for the SDS was I needed to drill a 120mm vent for the bathroom. I would have definitely had to pay someone to do it. Buying the SDS was at least half the cost even if I only used it once.

If all you are doing is a one off hole that you wouldn't even consider paying someone for, definitely borrowing a pals drill is the way forward. Combi should be fine. Make sure it has a full charge. Use decent masonry bits. Sure you will be fine.

Soldato

Also worth checking what his drill is. I had an old Black and Decker that was ~£50 and had a hammer function, but it wasn't very good. The Dewalt for ~£100 i replaced it with has been considerably better, so depending on his drill you could end up with an SDS when in reality you don't need one (and i don't think you do).

Soldato
Well yeah but also a tool with no variable speed control is quite hard to not overtighten/ put the screw in deeper than intended. Especially when it has so much torque.

Bosch IXO is a great shout though, these things are great.

Most are variable speed.

Most impact guns are variable speed? Since when? Unless you mean feathering your finger on the trigger??

My Makita impact driver has fully variable speed on trigger pull.

Some generic / own mainstream brands don't.

@413x what is your budget?

...... you could end up with an SDS when in reality you don't need one (and i don't think you do).

I'm struggling to think of a good reason not to own a variety of power tools including a SDS Drill, regardless of frequency used or real need.

If budget isn't an issue, buying in to a decent cordless system with good battery tech like Makita's 18v LXT is well worth it. Combi drill and impact driver box with fast charger plus 2-3 3ah or 4ah batteries. The barebones tools without the batteries are really cheap then.

Soldato
I'm struggling to think of a good reason not to own a variety of power tools including a SDS Drill, regardless of frequency used or real need.

If budget isn't an issue, buying in to a decent cordless system with good battery tech like Makita's 18v LXT is well worth it. Combi drill and impact driver box with fast charger plus 2-3 3ah or 4ah batteries. The barebones tools without the batteries are really cheap then.

Oh agreed, as mentioned above, i have my main Dewalt combi, then also have their cordless 2kg SDS and then a big heavy 6kg Titan corded SDS.

I'm just saying if you're buying a drill for stuff around the house, i'd be going for the cordless combi first. I wouldn't be opening with an SDS

Caporegime
OP
Yes. Not invested in a system yet. Was wondering if this would be my first cordless purchase to enter into a 'brand'

Budget. Absolutely no idea.
Whatever is the best option for the odd random DIY job.

This will likely be the toughest job.

Soldato
Yes. Not invested in a system yet. Was wondering if this would be my first cordless purchase to enter into a 'brand'

Budget. Absolutely no idea.
Whatever is the best option for the odd random DIY job.

This will likely be the toughest job.
Milwaukee :D

Soldato
Second for Milwaukee here. Used Dewalt and Bosch Pro stuff at work but always preferred my Milwaukee C18PD hammer drill. Replaced it last year with a 'fuel' model which came with an impact driver (M18FPP2A2-502X). Brilliant bit of kit. I also have the 12v drill / impact driver (none fuel), jigsaw and reciprocating saw (fuel verison).

Soldato
Makita and Milwaukee here.

I think Makita fast charge and battery tech is still slightly better. The barebones Makita tools are pretty cheap and can often be found on offer via howetools, ffx ebay stores.

Don't feel the need to go brushless. Some of the brushed kit is still very good and saves money.

This is a really good starter kit, prob found slightly cheaper elsewhere. Importantly it has the rapid charger plus 2x5Ah batteries. The combi drill has c50% more torque than equivalent price brushless kits.

Unless you have a really tough brick/lintel where only sds will do, this combi drill will go through most things. Can happily bore an 80+ mm hole through a wall.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-d...em8E-5h1bdS_nlqtAshoCGAAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Soldato
Buying a drill turned into a collection accidentally for me.

1.)I have a cheap own brand ("ROK") "beater" drill which gets all the dirty, rough, abuse jobs including running a drill operated water pump when working in holes in the garden.
2.) Then there's the reasonably cheap black and decker hammer drill I bought before I moved over which does 80% of indoor jobs
3.) Dewalt Drill/driver (DCD785), which mainly does jobs of convenience (space restrictions, when not near sockets, when the electricity is off etc.) but is capable of much more. I've used it for hammer work when fitting chor bolts for garden post lights, but the 1.5Ah batteries I have for it are the limiting factor.
4.) Bosch IXO driver for indoor/desk use.
5.) Titan SDS Plus for heavier work - as mentioned, it's rough around the edges but great value, and even did it's best when trying to drill through some granite rocks we have in the garden. For concrete work however, I would get a proper breaker. Before I bought the Titan I hired a Hilti breaker and the difference when breaking down concrete set gate posts was night and day.
6.) Dewalt DCF899 Impact Wrench - but now we're drifting into car territory...

I'm sure I could easily whittle that lot down to 2 or 3 drills, but they all get used.

If I were buying a first drill again and budget allowed, I would buy a Dewalt DCD795 and a 3Ah battery (or the Milwaukee/Makita/Bosch equivalent). Be warned that you are buying into a battery eco-system so i'd look at the respective ranges and see what you might need and how much the tools are.

An example is when I bought the DCF899 Impact Driver, most the competition were much more expensive (body only), so if you can imagine yourself expanding the range, bear it in mind.

Associate
I can tell you haven't used a decent impact recently. Manu people seem to think power tools are the same as they were in the early 2000s.
Yeah this threads a revelation. I was given a Bosch PSB 10,8 LI-2 around a decade ago and even with new Bosch drill bits it won't go through ***t. Struggles with timber and took 10min to go through a block, by which time the hole was oval and useless.

Soldato
Yeah this threads a revelation. I was given a Bosch PSB 10,8 LI-2 around a decade ago and even with new Bosch drill bits it won't go through ***t. Struggles with timber and took 10min to go through a block, by which time the hole was oval and useless.
I have a drill similar to that (the parkside version) but thankfully they haven't been stupid enough to add a hammer function. Realistically, I use it for 90% of all my scewing / drilling use. Being small and light with a narrow chuck helps to get into spaces you can't get a bigger drill.

But I wouldn't attempt anything like masonry or a large diamater hole in wood with it. That's what the 24v version that weighs more than twice as much is for.

Soldato
Wait for the 20v stuff to come back into stock at Lidl. Or if you can't wait, buy it off the scalpers via ebay (for triple the cost).

Whilst great value, the Lidl and Aldi cordless power tools leave you locked in a waiting cycle. It can be several months between re-releases or new tools being launched and often they will alternate the low volt and high volt offerings.

The power tools are great quality though and often rebranded/retooled quality kit like Scheppach, Einhell etc, certainly not cheap generic copies.

With my Makita and Dewalt kit, I can add new tools and batteries whenever needed. At worst waiting a week or two for a decent offer or flash sale to appear. Same with Milwaukee, Metabo etc.

I do have quite a few lidl Parkside tools and bits (grinding discs, SDS drill bits, guides/measures etc) though which I pick up as standalone items every so often due to sheer value.

The Parkside cordless multi tool is brilliant. When I got it came with a case, accessories / tools, charger and battery for c£30 a couple of years ago. Bought as a throw away as it was cheaper than just getting the tool bits I needed but it wont die.

Associate
But I wouldn't attempt anything like masonry or a large diamater hole in wood with it. That's what the 24v version that weighs more than twice as much is for.
Yeah I tried putting up IKEA floating shelves into a masonry wall. Big mistake.

I've now got to drill holes through internal cavity walls for network cable and start prepping for the sparky so time to get myself a big boy :D Also need to chase out for some new electrics and fit a back box but dont want to make much dust, so figure thats going to have to be done by hand. Mind an SDS with chisel would be way faster

Back
Top Bottom