• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10850K or wait for 1190K?

Associate
Hello. My question. Is any sense to buy now 10850K or wait for 11900K? But i already bought mboard Z490. So i am asking,thx.

I have just built a Asrock Z490 Taichi and 10850K workstation and I can't praise it enough. I got help from the good forum members here.

I use it for video editing and encoding and it just flies, I've no regrets about building it now and not waiting for the new thing.

Associate
that's the ONLY benefit I can see, and it's a subjective thing, I can see the advantages of it in storage scenarios, and if you have addon cards that can now use one PCIe lane instead of 2 (but you'll need to replace your addon cards in that case) but for GPUs PCIE 4 is a mute point, as they have not saturated the PCIE 3 bus yet.

Soldato
that's the ONLY benefit I can see, and it's a subjective thing, I can see the advantages of it in storage scenarios, and if you have addon cards that can now use one PCIe lane instead of 2 (but you'll need to replace your addon cards in that case) but for GPUs PCIE 4 is a mute point, as they have not saturated the PCIE 3 bus yet.

You’re right, but looking ahead, specifically for features such as RTX IO, Gen4.0 PCIE speeds will shine over 3.0. Therefore, it gives you a little more future proofing. But I agree with the counter argument that by the time RTX IO becomes mainstream, we’ll all be on next gen anyway.

Associate
True, the RTX IO could be interesting, but, again.... 3xxx series GPUs only, requires I think PCIe 4.0 and uses the same DirectStorage API as Microsoft is developing/developed, in addition to that, you need to have all of your items you wish to load faster on NVMe storage, so M.2 drives or PCIe based SSDs, in addition to that it also uses RAM in some way, so ideally you want a boat load of RAM

So long and short of it, is you need EVERYTHING to be of the latest generation... a costly proposition for something there has been insufficient time or hardware to allow for full evaluating

Last edited:
Soldato
True, the RTX IO could be interesting, but, again.... 3xxx series GPUs only, requires I think PCIe 4.0 and uses the same DirectStorage API as Microsoft is developing/developed, in addition to that, you need to have all of your items you wish to load faster on NVMe storage, so M.2 drives or CPIe based SSDs, in addition to that it also uses RAM in some way.

So long and short of it, is you need EVERYTHING to be of the latest generation... a costly proposition for something there has been insufficient time or hardware to allow for full evaluating
Will be interesting to see how much faster Optane drives will load games once we get directstorage, I might keep my 905p, will be interesting to test it at least.

Soldato
I really need to read up on this whole lane thing. All I know is my 5820k has 28 lanes and it works.

So are you saying if I run a z590 and 10850k and install a gpu and m.2 my current m.2 won't get full gen 3 speed?
No, you will. Rocket Lake has 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes, with 4 dedicated to the top NVMe slot and the other 16 going to the PCIe slots. The 4 dedicated SSD lanes are new for Rocket Lake and have been added to match Ryzen's setup. Any other NVMe slots will go through the PCH, which has also had its bandwidth doubled on Z590 to the equivalent of x8 PCIe 3.0. So you could run either two 4.0 drives or one 4.0 drive and two 3.0 drives (or just three 3.0 drives) at full speed on Z590 through on-board M.2 slots alone (assuming you buy a board with three slots). Obviously more if you give up graphics lanes with riser cards.

Soldato
No, you will. Rocket Lake has 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes, with 4 dedicated to the top NVMe slot and the other 16 going to the PCIe slots. The 4 dedicated SSD lanes are new for Rocket Lake and have been added to match Ryzen's setup. Any other NVMe slots will go through the PCH, which has also had its bandwidth doubled on Z590 to the equivalent of x8 PCIe 3.0. So you could run either two 4.0 drives or one 4.0 drive and two 3.0 drives (or just three 3.0 drives) at full speed on Z590 through on-board M.2 slots alone (assuming you buy a board with three slots). Obviously more if you give up graphics lanes with riser cards.

I'm really itchy for a upgrade and honestly think a 10850k could last me another 5 years as I'm a keeper. I'm not one to upgrade regularly but when we have bigger jumps. I went from a dual core fx to a 955 phenom BE to my 5820k. It's just a awkward time with DDR5 and 12th gen potentially on the horizon. But with 10th gen prices dropping I'm really tempted!

Soldato
I'm really itchy for a upgrade and honestly think a 10850k could last me another 5 years as I'm a keeper. I'm not one to upgrade regularly but when we have bigger jumps. I went from a dual core fx to a 955 phenom BE to my 5820k. It's just a awkward time with DDR5 and 12th gen potentially on the horizon. But with 10th gen prices dropping I'm really tempted!
I agree... also seen 10700KF at £280 ... which is a lot of cpu for the cash!

Associate

Same case arrives Tuesday then Iam ready to build minus the cpu just so worried I might jump to soon and regret not waiting a few weeks for rocket lake

Soldato
Same case arrives Tuesday then Iam ready to build minus the cpu just so worried I might jump to soon and regret not waiting a few weeks for rocket lake

Early reports indicate 11th gen will run hotter and more power hungry. Shouldn't be an issue with a custom loop. Just if I can hang fire for reviews on 11th gen and justify the extra cost lol

Back
Top Bottom