Wait for 30x GPU Laptops?

Associate
Fingers crossed, we've a G15 Strix Scar due next week and a G15 Zephyrus due later in the month.

I did watch this recently and started to get nervous so welcome more input on any issues : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1FGbFa3mI

I mean im happy to check anything on mine if you are worried.

Keys click nicely, no missed strokes so far. Performance has been fine, no crashes, i dont run the benchmarks like others do, I just assume it will be as others see. Not sure how to check the GPU watt or Ram Channels etc?

The only noticeable thing is a low durr noise from the fans. Its not struggling and then goes silent in idle. Turbo is louder, I think ive left mine on performance atm.

Screen on the 300hz is lovely, didnt realise how much better it could be over my MSI.

Feels like a nice build as well, no creeking or cracking. Lids up and down nice, lighting is very well done.

I probably need to install a game to push it, but tbh im addicted to Valheim :D

Associate
Here is a question, i downloaded that CPU Z and it shows my RAM is in Dual mode.

But DRAM frequency is 1596.8mhz, isnt that a problem as its meant to be DDR4 3200?

Or is it 3200 combined between the 2 sticks?

Associate
For anyone interested, I did a couple of those Timespy tests, I only have the demo version so just ran what it gave me without changing settings.

The only thing i did do was put the laptop on Turbo fans.

GPU - 10373
CPU - 8968

Peak CPU temp was 83 and GPU 77

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Here is a question, i downloaded that CPU Z and it shows my RAM is in Dual mode.

But DRAM frequency is 1596.8mhz, isnt that a problem as its meant to be DDR4 3200?

Or is it 3200 combined between the 2 sticks?

DDR = Double Data Rate - the RAM does two (or more) operations per clock cycle for an effective rate of 3200MHz.

Associate
I mean im happy to check anything on mine if you are worried.

Keys click nicely, no missed strokes so far. Performance has been fine, no crashes, i dont run the benchmarks like others do, I just assume it will be as others see. Not sure how to check the GPU watt or Ram Channels etc?

The only noticeable thing is a low durr noise from the fans. Its not struggling and then goes silent in idle. Turbo is louder, I think ive left mine on performance atm.

Screen on the 300hz is lovely, didnt realise how much better it could be over my MSI.

Feels like a nice build as well, no creeking or cracking. Lids up and down nice, lighting is very well done.

I probably need to install a game to push it, but tbh im addicted to Valheim :D
Much appreciated, thank you.

Your post covers most of my concerns regarding build quality, acoustics and the stability which is has been a concern due to a few reviews noting BSODs. The only specific issue applies to the Zephyrus G15 so far, that of the speakers popping at certain bass frequencies (https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG1.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3).

.edit.
As for Valheim...I've just upgraded to level 4 on my Wolf armor kit and feeling a lot more confident around the Plains bio now! Well and truly hooked on the game.

Last edited:
Associate
Much appreciated, thank you.

Your post covers most of my concerns regarding build quality, acoustics and the stability which is has been a concern due to a few reviews noting BSODs. The only specific issue applies to the Zephyrus G15 so far, that of the speakers popping at certain bass frequencies (https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG1.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3).

.edit.
As for Valheim...I've just upgraded to level 4 on my Wolf armor kit and feeling a lot more confident around the Plains bio now! Well and truly hooked on the game.

The Scar I have sounds really nice tbh (so yours should be the same), im impressed I think it has an upgraded as such speaker system. But its good for a laptop, especially in a game like Hell Let Loose that I play now and then.

I did run updates to the BIOS etc, myASUS prompted it all which was handy and they installed no issues. And have run benchmarks and I think im in a good spot with them.

It seems to cool nicely, I do use a tray to help as tbh I just sit on my sofa with it next to me playing games or browsing.

As for Valheim, ive just died at the 2nd boss with all my gear.. now I have to run back to salvage it, with the thing roaming. I believe he will gain his health back as well :( Cant believe it tbh.

Associate
The only noticeable thing is a low durr noise from the fans.

Just an update on this incase anyone incllined on getting an ASUS ROG Strix has read it.

The noise was actually caused by my laptop tray! I think its either a vibration of the tray or the holes causing some sort of noise disturbance.

I notcied when i had it off the tray on a flat table it was near silent even in performance... so some investigating means ill be getting a new laptop tray :D

Associate
Just an update on this incase anyone incllined on getting an ASUS ROG Strix has read it.

The noise was actually caused by my laptop tray! I think its either a vibration of the tray or the holes causing some sort of noise disturbance.

I notcied when i had it off the tray on a flat table it was near silent even in performance... so some investigating means ill be getting a new laptop tray :D
lol nice one!

@skaif looks good, i presume that is the BB version?

Associate
Any opinions on the G5 Vs the MSI GF65? I thought the MSI would be better due to it having an I7 instead of an I5 and having more storage space. However, I've seen people on other forum say that they prefer the G5 due to the wattage on the GPU being higher.

Back
Top Bottom