Try to figure out scratches on the car.

Associate
OP
there's a couple. If using TCUT you can just use the original white one or go for a colour match, it really makes no odds as you're literally taking off a fraction of the laquer and probably use a colour wax. However, I generally in the past have used Maguires Ultimate Compound Colour/Restore which does the same as TCUT but I love Maguires products. It works and will take things out of paint. if you want to do a good job and get the paint as good as can without a proper paint correction; 1). Wash Car by hand 2). Dry car by hand 3). You can clay the whole car yourself (using pads is easy) or just jump straight to 4). use Maguires Ultimate on the whole car and take your time and then buff off and finally 5). Maguires Wax or any wax of your taste. Job done.

if you use glay bar/pads, you'll be amazed at the crap that comes off your "clean" paint... seriously I clayed a black Saab years ago and wow... was like glass the finish. The decision should be, once washed, run your finget tips over the paint. is it like glass or can you feel roughness? if rough, you should clay as this is crap bonded to your paint!

All depends how far you wanna go fella. it's just hard work but can be done cheaply!!!
Thanks for the detailed post, I will consider this.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
You could always pay someone to “detail” the car. Will run you a couple of hundred quid for a thorough job.

Automated car washes will trash your paint every time, especially if they use hard bristles, which are the standard petrol station car washes.

“soft” washes exist, with softer, flatter bristles but they’ll still scratch the paint.

This is why most enthusiasts wash their cars by hand, and spend hours polishing and waxing the paint afterwards.

Soldato
Personally I'd say chasing swirl marks yourself by hand is a waste of time. Be very cautious of using T-Cut original on modern metallic paint. It was a great product before cars came with a clearcoat on the paint.

I had a hand-me-down company car once where the previous keeper "T-Cut out the scratches". What this actually meant was that the metallic black paint now had the still perfectly visible scratches highlighted by making them centre stage of an oval patch of dull paint.

I'd say your options are pay to get it corrected and if you are going to that bother also get it ceramic coated. Or whack a coat or two of Autoglym Super Resin polish on it and seal it in with some solid carnauba wax. Personally I'd go option two, in fact I do exactly that every spring.

Soldato

I'd get some SRP (check 1L offers) and try using that as a first step, rather than more aggressive T-cut, or even clay; personally have never seen SRP as a filler,
I have some Meguiars hand-glaze (now added to the museum of half used products, with porter cable) which definitely is a filler, and stopped using that since it doesn't polish on, and moreover, off, easily.
I use the SRP, and then apply some of their gloss protection wax.

(Never used a car wash)

Soldato
I have never been through a car wash but have been a passenger in mates car when he had it hand washed - They used a communal trough of water that was the colour of sandy water that runs off a field - The cloth's they used were so dirty you couldn't tell what colour they were originally.
If you are paranoid about swirls get it detailed - it's only about 2-300 quid but it will look as good as new.
Mate used to have a mobile car wash at his house every two weeks - Car always looked clean.

Associate
OP
I have never been through a car wash but have been a passenger in mates car when he had it hand washed - They used a communal trough of water that was the colour of sandy water that runs off a field - The cloth's they used were so dirty you couldn't tell what colour they were originally.
If you are paranoid about swirls get it detailed - it's only about 2-300 quid but it will look as good as new.
Mate used to have a mobile car wash at his house every two weeks - Car always looked clean.
Hi thanks, 200 to 300 appears reasonable, where can I get this done please?

Soldato
A lot of modern paint is too soft for those car washes, look how harsh those plastic brushes are when hitting the car. On some exotic stuff you void the warranty on the paint if you take it through one.

Soldato
Funny you mention this.. last few days I noticed several scratches on mine. Previously it was almost flawless. Not sure if its the wax the dealer put on a few months ago wearing off & I can see the real finish now or did the snow from a few weeks ago or Saharan sand from last week caused it! I only do hand washes on mine which is how I noticed as I am very particular about how good it looks!

Just going to accept for now its not possible to have an almost 100% perfect finish :( as road grit & small debris also seems to cause issues. :rolleyes:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
A lot of modern paint is too soft for those car washes, look how harsh those plastic brushes are when hitting the car. On some exotic stuff you void the warranty on the paint if you take it through one.
I never believe you, so I'm almost certain this is total ********, but can anyone find evidence of a car manufacturer voiding a warranty for driving through an automatic car wash?

Soldato
I never believe you, so I'm almost certain this is total ********, but can anyone find evidence of a car manufacturer voiding a warranty for driving through an automatic car wash?
I think you've purposely misrepresented the question to prove a point but yes, Lotus (as a single example) do specifically state that damage attributable to driving through an automatic car wash is explicitly not covered. I guess it is a bit of a vanity statement as I imagine any "accidental" damage is not covered by a warranty and good luck proving any damage was due to an auto wash, but still.

https://fblod.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Warranty-Evora.pdf

Soldato
Save your sanity and your arms by taking it to a car detailer. Pick a good one though.

They'll do a stage2 machine polish for 200-300 which will probably get your car looking near brand new.

You might find if you get some touch up paint from eBay they'll even sort any stone chips at the same time.

Caporegime
I know of a guy who buys and sells cars on Facebook, the first thing he does when he buys a car (usually a complete shed on wheels) is spray WD40 liberally over it then buffs it with an old rag, the results look amazing - and hide no end of scratches - until it rains heavily or the car gets washed......

Back
Top Bottom