Need a bit of help choosing new router

Associate
My current router is Zyxel VMG3925-B10b which has been working fine, but now (from looking at the manufacturers website) its end of life.

I've been in touch with my ISP to try and get a new router, but they've refused as the current one "isn't faulty", which is true, but it's also not going to receive anymore security updates which I believe is a security risk. So I'm looking at getting a new router, but don't have a clue which to get (there are so many..) I don't need anything fancy, and if possible I'd like to be able to disable WiFi on the router as everything I use is connected by ethernet.

My connection is full fiber (200mbps)

Budget is up to about £150.

Thanks.

Soldato
I've been in touch with my ISP to try and get a new router, but they've refused as the current one "isn't faulty", which is true, but it's also not going to receive anymore security updates which I believe is a security risk.

You're entirely correct in your belief, and it blows my mind that ISPs still take this stance. Psyb0t, VPNFilter or Mirai, anyone? :rolleyes: Who's the lackadaisical ISP in question?

If you're interested and fancy a brief learning experience, then you can grab a second hand small form factor PC (Lenovo, Dell, HP) off eBay for £60 to £150 and put pfSense or IPFire on it and make your own router. I have OpenBSD running on mine, and others on here run everything from OPNSense to Untangle and beyond. That will give you the ultimate in security and control, with upgrade flexibility built in.

If you want something off the shelf that's practically set and forget, then the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 is wired-only and will see you through gigabit internet no sweat. It comes in just around your budget if you shop around (~£150 to £160), though it's way more expensive here at OcUK. The cheaper (~£100) USG (Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway) is the flashier consumer focused model, but its throughput isn't as good iirc.

Associate
OP
You're entirely correct in your belief, and it blows my mind that ISPs still take this stance. Psyb0t, VPNFilter or Mirai, anyone? :rolleyes: Who's the lackadaisical ISP in question?
Kcom, it's the only ISP available in Hull.

If you want something off the shelf that's practically set and forget, then the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 is wired-only and will see you through gigabit internet no sweat. It comes in just around your budget if you shop around (~£150 to £160), though it's way more expensive here at OcUK. The cheaper (~£100) USG (Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway) is the flashier consumer focused model, but its throughput isn't as good iirc.

I'd prefer something off the shelf, I'll have a look into these, thank you.

Honor Router 3 is where it’s at at the moment. Under £35 delivered and it does everything anyone could sensibly want.

I like the edgerouter-x

I'll have a look a these as well, thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom