Backing up large amounts of Data

Soldato
I'm looking to backup 12TB of video footage to an external drive. On average, the files are 50GB in size.

Would it be ok/advisable to do 4TB chunks in one go? Or is it is safer to do in smaller 500GB chunks. I have cooling fan directed at the external drive to keep temps around 30 to 40 degs.

What is good practice for large transfers?

Associate
If you're worried about the disk temperatures there are tools that can monitor them and overall health of the disks, e.g. CrystalDiskInfo or DiskCheckup. I'd do it in one go if temperatures are OK.
It sounds like you're doing the copying manually - something like SyncBack might make this and incremental updates easier. (There are lots of alternatives around, but SyncBack is good if you want to review changes before files are accidentally deleted or overwritten on the backup).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info.

I'm okay with doing a manual transfer. I just wanted your thoughts on transferring say 4TB in one hit.

Is cooling the only thing to monitor? These external drives or any drives should are built for large sustained transfers right.

Associate
Transferring large amounts should be fine. But I echo wonko's comments of using something like syncback. Takes some of the hassle out of the process when something goes wrong. Sometimes the little files can trip up large copies and halt it. Something like syncback will easily be able to easily pick up where it left or ( or even carry on past errors - you'd need to check it ).

You'd just setup a routine to do the copy of the top folder (and all sub folders) , and send it on its way. If it trips, you'd just start the routine again ... it'll scan whats already copied and pick up from where it left off.

Associate
Thanks for the info.

I'm okay with doing a manual transfer. I just wanted your thoughts on transferring say 4TB in one hit.

Is cooling the only thing to monitor? These external drives or any drives should are built for large sustained transfers right.

You can take the disks out of external drives ('shucking') and you'll normally find they are the same as or variants of internal SATA hard drives that you'd buy. Cooling and the (normally) USB interface are the only differences really. I've shucked quite a few drives as it's cheaper (albeit taking the risk of losing the warranty) and the first thing I do is a full test of the disk which can take the best part of a day for a big drive. As long as temperature isn't going above say 45°C to 50°C and the SMART monitoring tool says it's healthy then I wouldn't worry about it.

Soldato
OP
@Donnie Fisher
Thanks for the info. I would do an automated backup if it were regular but this is like a one time backup and large files.

You can take the disks out of external drives ('shucking') and you'll normally find they are the same as or variants of internal SATA hard drives that you'd buy. Cooling and the (normally) USB interface are the only differences really. I've shucked quite a few drives as it's cheaper (albeit taking the risk of losing the warranty) and the first thing I do is a full test of the disk which can take the best part of a day for a big drive. As long as temperature isn't going above say 45°C to 50°C and the SMART monitoring tool says it's healthy then I wouldn't worry about it.

Indeed I've shucked a good few drives.

When you do a full disk check what is that actually to check for errors? Is it Writing to the whole disk I take it?

Soldato
I don't think I've ever seen a hard drive overheat. I've seen AC in server rooms stop and the room temp get so high we couldn't enter it, the HDDs were still going.

Soldato
OP
I don't think I've ever seen a hard drive overheat. I've seen AC in server rooms stop and the room temp get so high we couldn't enter it, the HDDs were still going.

It'll reduce lifespan. It won't explode ;)

I just wanted peoples views and experiences on large sustained backups and good practices.

Soldato
It will get hot if you do 12TB across in one go but put some cooling fans over it then no problems. Either that or break it out of its case and stick it in your PC as others advices so it can be transferred with decent air flow.

failing that stick a USB2 cable into the external drive enclosure and transfer off USB2 which will limit the speed therefore possible less heat but you are prolonging the process. I prefer get it done and over with.

I had to transfer 8TB data to a 14TB HDD I used the shuck and plug into my computer method.

Soldato
OP
It will get hot if you do 12TB across in one go but put some cooling fans over it then no problems. Either that or break it out of its case and stick it in your PC as others advices so it can be transferred with decent air flow.

failing that stick a USB2 cable into the external drive enclosure and transfer off USB2 which will limit the speed therefore possible less heat but you are prolonging the process. I prefer get it done and over with.

I had to transfer 8TB data to a 14TB HDD I used the shuck and plug into my computer method.

Cheers.

It all went well left it over night with an 8TB transfer. Had a usb fan to keep it cool. Thanks all.

Soldato
Why not get internal drive dock? I use one and plug hdd direct into it. Temps are fine and use for sustained transfers overnight no issues.
Also if its data thats no gonna be accessed often then look into a tape drive

Associate
Bit late but as has been said just keep an eye on the heat and I like to use something TeraCopy that has a verify option. Copy is safer than move as well so you don't lose data if the drive dies during the transfer.

Soldato
OP
Bit late but as has been said just keep an eye on the heat and I like to use something TeraCopy that has a verify option. Copy is safer than move as well so you don't lose data if the drive dies during the transfer.

Thanks mate all went to plan. Had a usb fan directed at it while doing a 8TB transfer.

Back
Top Bottom