Windows LTSC

Man of Honour
Nothing would surprise me with Windows 10 - but home/pro tends to have an annoying tendency to get busy in the background with maintenance and update relevant tasks at random which can impact benchmarks at times which in theory LTSC shouldn't.

Soldato
Some people say they're finding it "20%" faster than Windows 10 pro

Any truth to this , is it worth looking at?

It's great if you want to game on a cashpoint machine.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Ran it for a few months and I did quite like it to be honest.
It's certainly not as bloated as Pro and has less going on in the background.

Out-of-the-box by default

No Windows Store
No Cortana
No EDGE
No major feature updates, you only get security patches.

Ultimately I had to go back to Pro though as LTSC didn't receive the DX12.1 or AMD scheduling fix updates.
So yes it's good... but also limited when it comes to the latest hardware.

Caporegime
They need to just make a mainstream Windows 10 release without all of the bloat, or why not just ask people what features they want installed during setup.

Man of Honour
They need to just make a mainstream Windows 10 release without all of the bloat, or why not just ask people what features they want installed during setup.

It makes me face palm sometimes - I mean they make a big deal about the whole Windows as a service model but part and parcel of that really should be people able to deploy Windows as a service as they need it selecting what components they do and don't need, etc. Windows 10 should be perfectly possible to install anywhere from a bare bones implementation through to a fully curated experience for those who aren't very tech savvy and various other forms in between.

The people working on Windows 10 really lack vision and experience :( so many things are re-treading ground where the lessons were learnt 20+ years ago, sure sometimes it is useful to test old lessons to see what might have been overlooked, etc. but those lessons were learnt for a reason and the developers don't seem to be learning from re-treading that ground either. I mean it is 2021 for goodness sake and the start menu still has no group management functionality! something MS got right 30 odd years ago but can't seem to manage today.

Sure they are working on an OS which isn't an easy task but the developers come off as being dumb as ****.

Don
They really need to make Windows more component based.

I'm more than happy for them to keep an updatable repository of potentially needed files on C if they wish.

Soldato

It's simple market abuse really - you have a stranglehold on the PC gaming market yet you can't monetize that market share easily like you can with your console - by taking a cut of each game sold and/or selling the hardware.

So instead you pack your OS with code designed to harvest your users' data and then sell that information off to marketing companies. It's almost worse than what Google and Facebook do as at least you can just kick them to the kerb. You can't get away from Microsoft if you want to game on a PC.

I have wondered where the EU is in all this, given they got twitchy backsides over just a browser last time. I guess the right palms got greased.

Back
Top Bottom