Philips 346P1CRH - (WFH 21:9 Ultrawide, USB-C, PIP, PBP, KVM)

Soldato
I'm looking for recommendation's for a do it all ultrawide for 2x laptop's (1x USB-C, 1xDP/HDMI) with minimal cables. The monitor will be used for the usual office applications, coding, video and a bit of retro gaming, no modern gaming.

I had an LG 35WN73A delivered yesterday which would have been perfect for me if i only used 1x laptop at a time like i originally planned. I definitely preferred it to the 2x monitors + dock i use in the offices.

I have since decided i want PBP (to display 2x input's on screen at the same time) + Hardware KVM built in for when i'm WFH, so i'm returning the LG. The work laptop's are connected to different VPN's, so IP based software KVM's like LG's Dual Controller are no good. (It was ok for 2x personal laptop's though, if slightly laggy)

- 60w charging is fine for the USB-C laptop's i use.

From what i've found so far, these two monitors that seem to tick the boxes:-

- Dell P3421w
- Philips 346p1crh/00

Have any OC'ers used these, or have any other recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
How about a couple of USB-C cheapy docks like the Targus ones (Known model / part number(s): DOCK412, DOCK412EUZ-50, DOCK412EUZ-60, DOCK412-A) then add a Logitech MK850 Performance Keyboard & Mouse Combo for multi device. As long as you have Bluetooth enabled on each system I guess. Then both laptops could charge whilst only needing one USB-C each to connect to their respective dock.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, I'll take a look at the mk850 combo.

I could get away without the docks, if the LG monitor did PBP or PIP so I could have both work laptops displaying at the same time splitting the screen.

I think I'd be better off getting the Dell or Philips that can do PBP and have the KVM built in.

Soldato
OP
I think i'll wait to see if the Philips comes back into stock anytime soon as it was selling for less than the Dell a few weeks ago.

My Thinkpad x280 only does up to 4k60 via the USB-C (TB3), so it may not make any difference between that and the Dell for my current devices. The work laptop via USB-C might be the same.

Soldato
I think i'll wait to see if the Philips comes back into stock anytime soon as it was selling for less than the Dell a few weeks ago.

My Thinkpad x280 only does up to 4k60 via the USB-C (TB3), so it may not make any difference between that and the Dell for my current devices. The work laptop via USB-C might be the same.

It's back up for pre order at a very good price if you search for it.

Soldato
OP
It's back up for pre order at a very good price if you search for it.

Awesome, thanks! That is quite the discount, I've put my order in :)

I was going to buy it for £500 from the other place when stock arrives on 22nd.

I better ship the LG back when the snow melts a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My Philips 346P1CRH just arrived, so the wait wasn't that bad, i'll set it up later and check if it's all good. If it is, that's great for £358.

it doesn't come with a USB A to B cable to connect the 2nd computer to the KVM, but i have plenty of those at work.

Associate
My Philips 346P1CRH just arrived, so the wait wasn't that bad, i'll set it up later and check if it's all good. If it is, that's great for £358.

it doesn't come with a USB A to B cable to connect the 2nd computer to the KVM, but i have plenty of those at work.

How do you find it?

I'm tempted myself, but the reviews for that model seem a bit over the place.

Soldato

Ordered one myself when they came back in, mine is due next Thurs. Will have a look for one of them USB cables now as I'll have to order that. If something better comes out next year I should be able to sell this on quite easily with it being had for £200 cheaper than anywhere else has it.

Do you know if the USB 3.2 ports of which there's meant to be 4 of, whether these are gen 1 or gen 2?

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here. Also ordered the Philips after missing out the first “drop”. Got the dispatch confirmation yesterday so hopefully Monday delivery.

At £358 it was worth the try.

Associate
How is the Phillips? I saw this as I was about to look for user reviews of the Gigabyte M27Q, as I’m looking to replace my U3415w, so having KVM is a must as I’ve gotten so used to it.

Soldato
OP
I've been using the Philips 346P1CRH since Thursday, i'd say its well worth £358 i paid.

I returned the monitor arm i had bought as this one is around 8KG without the stand rather than the 6.5KG of the LG. I'll get another arm when i sort out a solid wood desktop, i dont think the temporary Linnmon desktop i'm using would take that weight on an arm.

Random list of thoughts below:-

- The webcam is just ok, not great but it's not something i'll be using, although it says it works with Windows Hello, it wasn't detected as compatible. I'm not sure if i had to do anything for it to be detected properly or not.

- The speakers are quite loud, i forgot it had them until the windows boot up sound, i then muted them in the OSD as i normally use headphones.

- It's got a way brighter panel than the 35" LG i returned, i've got it set to 30 Brightness & 30 Contrast.

- I'm using it with my Thinkpad x280 plugged in on USB-C and have had no issues what so ever.

- I've only briefly tested the PIP & PBP with an old Thinkpad T440p as the 2nd device via HDMI with a mini DP adapter. Both worked, but i couldn't get the PBP full screen as even setting the the resolution to 1720x1440 like the OSD advised to take up half the screen it still had borders. I'll test this out properly tomorrow with my Work Fujitsu u729 on USB-C & Work Surface Pro 5 on HDMI/Mini DP adapter, if that's the same, i'll get a DP to mini DP cable. I'll test the KVM too as i've now got a cable for that.

- There's is a user button on the monitor you can set to either KVM or Display switcher and a couple of other things. As i'll probably mostly use 2 device as PBP i'll keep it as KVM, but if i was going to use 2 devices both full screen, it would be better set to Display and maybe set KVM to auto rather than manually switching via the OSD menu.

- If you have the USB Hub set to USB 3.2 you only get 60hz, set this to USB 2.0 to get 100hz

- The Philips Smart Control Software didn't have the screen zone layout i like when using a single device (either 2 thirds width as main window, with 1 third width as secondary window) or the wider window in the middle and a smaller window either side. The LG software didn’t have this either for the other monitor.

I installed Windows Power Toys (Free App), Fancy Zones in that is fully customisable, so i'm all set.

- I haven’t used the Ethernet port, but that needs a driver which is available on the Philips website

- the power Sensor works well

- The only negative i've found build quality wise is the thin bit of plastic trim that goes across the top and around the webcam isn't complete flat, its a bit wavey, like it isn't clipped/glued in perfectly. It's not something i'm really bothered about but worth mentioning, my monitor might have been just made on Friday Afternoon! On the plus side, no dead or stuck or bright pixels at all :)

There are still loads of settings i haven't played around with, there is a PDF user manual on the product website along with the drivers below

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/346P1CRH_00/brilliance-curved-ultrawide-lcd-monitor-with-usb-c/support

TLDR: Great monitor for the price, if you use two devices

Last edited:
Soldato
TLDR: Great monitor for the price, if you use two devices

Sounds like a great monitor. What kind of coating does the panel have ?

Is it semi-gloss, like many Samsung VA monitors are, or matte anti-glare?

I have a semi-gloss coating on my Samsung 34" ultrawide and I much prefer it to some of the grainy looking matte displays I've seen on my previous Dell ultrasharp monitors.

Soldato
OP
ok, fixed my problem with PBP not using all the screen space on both halves of screen, i just had to change the scaling in the intel graphics app. I just displayed my Laptop via USB-C @ 1720x1440 side by side with itself with PBP. Will investigate my work devices via PBP tomorrow, it's looking good though.

@thenewoc - I'm not sure if the USB ports are gen 1 or gen 2, it only mentions USB 3.2 in the manual. There are 4 ports on the KVM, 1 of those is a fast charge port.

@Jony27 - I'll let you know if i have any problems with my SP tomorrow, it should be fine though.

@silvagti - I'm not sure if it's semi gloss or matte. It's the same as the VA LG 35" i had earlier in the month. I've got a window with blinds behind me, i can just about make out the shadow of the blinds with the monitor turned off. If i do the same with a laptop screen (non gloss) the blinds are much more noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom