FloppyPoppy is learning Photography

Soldato
OP
Ordered it from E-infin, they are good with missing orders though so i shouldn't be out of pocket whatever the outcome. :)

Just took this shot, 8 second exposure, ISO 64, F1.8, set the WB to 3200K, give those settings a go and see how you get on. :)

DSC00110 (1) by kieran, on Flickr

didn’t see the picture earlier,
looks great will have a look at those settings when the skies are clear again :D

Soldato
OP
Well i have just gotten my supply from my uncle :D

1m8ejurh.jpg

He has also borrowed me his canon 1.8 85mm prime to have a play with for a couple of weeks but that will be going back to him :)

There are lots of different filters including variable ring ones, nice set of step up rings too though i need to order a couple more for some of the larger pieces :)

Extremely happy and hope to god it's clear skies tonight so i can get some better images with the tripod!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice :D

I would recommend adding a h in front of the .jpg when you post pictures, it resizes them for you. :)

I was wondering about that, i thought one of the "upgrades" of the zen 2 forum was that it automatically sized images appropriately. I guess i misunderstood that part.

Have edited all of my previous images in this thread to resize them

Soldato
Not sure if it’s worth going out, I can see a few stars in the sky but nowhere near the amount I could last week, plus it’s currently 1’c outside :p

Soldato
OP
Went for a hike (purely for exercise of course) on Sunday with the better half,

Ended up taking a few hundred pictures :D

Here is a couple ( only showing pictures from the back as don't want to be posting pictures of her on these forums :D ) but i am thrilled with some of the portraits i have gotten and she is thrilled for her instagram :D

HwcZMzjh.jpg

cN8VIiLh.jpg

was using one of the ND filters from my uncles gifts, i need to get a couple more step up rings so i can properly fix it to the lens as i was holding it in front for all of my shots. I have also got a 49mm filter on the way so that will fit straight on the 50mm prime.

I foresee a very expensive hobby.

Associate
Nice first shots!

The expensive hobby part is why I’m trying just to stick to my phone to take photos. At least then I get other use out of the device and I won’t fall down a rabbit hole of lenses!

Soldato
OP
Nice first shots!

The expensive hobby part is why I’m trying just to stick to my phone to take photos. At least then I get other use out of the device and I won’t fall down a rabbit hole of lenses!

Thank you :) i am still learning an awful lot but kind of understand the basics now.

I have absolutely fallen in love with the hobby though! I don't think anything has hit me this bad in over a decade and the last thing to do that was building pcs and gaming. That was about 10 years ago when it really really hit and i am only now becoming a little fed up with it.

can foresee a similar future for the photography but doubt it will fade as soon due to the creativity element.

Going to get a lot more portraits shot in the coming weeks i do think and looking at picking up the Sigma 85mm f1.4 art DG DN lens as it looks like an absolute gem for portraits.

Soldato
OP
FloppyPoppy has made a website I don't intend on taking on any paid work due to my lack of experience however if i can get into jobs for experience and portfolio work i will be extremely happy. Was talking to my uber driver today whos wedding has been cancelled three times due to covid. Told him if he wanted a free tertiary photographer for his wedding to get in touch and he seemed thrilled by that idea.

I suspect this is going to be like everything else where getting out there and getting experience is going to be the only way to progress.

Soldato
OP
So im currently up in arms about what lens to get

I have two in mind.

the Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art DG DN

Or to stick with the 50mm 1.8 for now and save a little more to get a Sony FE 70-200 F2.8 G master.

Uncle has offered to borrow me his Canon version of the 70-200 Gmaster so i will grab that next weekend to have a play for a few weeks so i can have hands on only issue being that due to the conversion from the cannon mount to e mount i lose things like autofocus and if the cannon lens doesn't have a manual aperture(like the canon 85mm prime) then it will be locked open at it's widest.

not a huge issue but will limit what i can really do with the lens. Hopefully though it will give me a bit of hands on to decide which one i would get more use out of and which i would rather carry around with me.

Will post some of the results here next weekend from the 70-200 :) hopefully i can find some nice subjects to shoot.

Associate
So im currently up in arms about what lens to get

I have two in mind.

the Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art DG DN

Or to stick with the 50mm 1.8 for now and save a little more to get a Sony FE 70-200 F2.8 G master.

Uncle has offered to borrow me his Canon version of the 70-200 Gmaster so i will grab that next weekend to have a play for a few weeks so i can have hands on only issue being that due to the conversion from the cannon mount to e mount i lose things like autofocus and if the cannon lens doesn't have a manual aperture(like the canon 85mm prime) then it will be locked open at it's widest.

not a huge issue but will limit what i can really do with the lens. Hopefully though it will give me a bit of hands on to decide which one i would get more use out of and which i would rather carry around with me.

Will post some of the results here next weekend from the 70-200 :) hopefully i can find some nice subjects to shoot.

That's a tough call. The 70-200 covers 85mm, but there's a wealth of difference between f2.8, f1.8 and f1.4 at portrait distances.

Just to make your life harder, have you thought about the 55/1.8? It's by far my favourite lens.

Back
Top Bottom