• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
How will the 3080 10gb run in the future?

tldr: it will be fine if you keep playing old games, well yeah.

But if you kept the card and played future games, you can look forward to frame time spikes, lower overall performance, tons of texture pop in, games being unable to render target textures without noise.

I generally like GN, but this is hardly crystal ball gazing! Show me any gfx card that you can't apply these two sentences to.

Associate
I generally like GN, but this is hardly crystal ball gazing! Show me any gfx card that you can't apply these two sentences to.

I unsubbed from GN; much prefer HUB. I used to like GN but quality has really dropped over these past few months - they seem to rush videos for views so the content feels half-assed, speculative, and all over the place.

Caporegime
How does the 3080 cope running older games at 8K? Has anyone tried this

How vague do you want to be? Which game? How old? Obviously many older and undemanding games that used bugger all to very modest VRAM and GPU horsepower at 4k will work perfectly fine at 8k on a 3080 10GB.

You can apply the same two sentences to any card, yes, but what varies is how quickly it will apply. For cards with less VRAM a potential VRAM bottleneck will appear sooner than cards with more VRAM. Or is that too much like, you know... common sense.

I unsubbed from GN; much prefer HUB. I used to like GN but quality has really dropped over these past few months - they seem to rush videos for views so the content feels half-assed, speculative, and all over the place.
What a load of crap, GN produce very detailed and well thought out content vs 99% of Techtubers.

Associate
What a load of crap, GN produce very detailed and well thought out content vs 99% of Techtubers.

Maybe it’s improved recently, but when things were busy with all of the releases, their content slipped. I remember the video they posted on dual vs single rank memory; was absolute garbage.

Not saying they’re the worst, but HUB and OT are my goto for quality content.

Caporegime
Can't buy them at all for £650, more like £1000+.

They're going for £1200+ on a popular auction site. :D
Sign up to part alerts etc. on discord and as long as you have your phone on you with details all preloaded, you have a good chance of getting one.

During my 2-3 weeks of being on "watch", I saw far more 3080s come in stock, even ones for £700 than any 6800/6800xt cards, they were rare as **** and anytime AMDS cards were in stock, they were mostly from the big jungle site i.e. £800+ and gone within a second because of no bot protection.

Soldato
During my 2-3 weeks of being on "watch", I saw far more 3080s come in stock, even ones for £700 than any 6800/6800xt cards, they were rare as **** and anytime AMDS cards were in stock, they were mostly from the big jungle site i.e. £800+ and gone within a second because of no bot protection.
I've been trying to get an 80 since launch, can't get a sniff at them even with alerts, you were lucky you got one.

Not disputing the 3080's are less scarce than AMD's ref, but a dozen 80's a month(if that, there could be like two:p) at the £649 pp esentially is still a non existent drip feed to keep that pp valid.

You hit the check stock availabilty on 3080 page for aib's, it comes up showing £729, it takes you to Ocuk etc and they are £999!

Imagine AMD are doing the exact same thing.

It's a blatant **** show bouncing right above the line of false advertising.

Hoping influencers really push all of them on the pricing scams.

Associate
Sign up to part alerts etc. on discord and as long as you have your phone on you with details all preloaded, you have a good chance of getting one.

Some people have even walked into retail stores in the US and bought them off the shelf, it happens, people also win the lottery but chances are most people won't.

I'm on a watch list for over 30 cards and the only alerts I get are emails confirming they're still out of stock.

Caporegime
I've been trying to get an 80 since launch, can't get a sniff at them even with alerts, you were lucky you got one.

Not disputing the 3080's are less scarce than AMD's ref, but a dozen 80's a month(if that, there could be like two:p) at the £649 pp esentially is still a non existent drip feed to keep that pp valid.

You hit the check stock availabilty on 3080 page for aib's, it comes up showing £729, it takes you to Ocuk etc and they are £999!

Yup both are a joke but at least there is a "chance" of getting a 3080 FE for £650, even if it is an extremely slim chance..... With any other card, there is literally zero chance of getting a card for MSRP. Personally I rather go without a card than fill the pockets of greedy sales men or worse, give in to a scalper....

In terms of just stock levels, back in January when I was signed up to the discord channels, I seen maybe 5/10+ 3080s pop up every day or 2 where as with amd, it was maybe 2/3 alerts every 2 days, if that.... Probably a different story now but given that AMD have said most of their hardware/resources are going to sony/microsoft to fulfil console orders (which are also severely limited in stock), I wouldn't be surprised if the stock alerts for amd are still pitiful.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

When I started looking for one I joined telegram and discord group and got one with a week or so as I recall. There has been many opportunities to do the same since. If you are waiting for it to become in stock for more than a few minutes at a time then you will be waiting for a very long time.

I even helped a few here get one the same way. So it is not has hard as some make out if you do it right ;)

Soldato
Yup both are a joke but at least there is a "chance" of getting a 3080 FE for £650, even if it is an extremely slim chance..... With any other card, there is literally zero chance of getting a card for MSRP. Personally I rather go without a card than fill the pockets of greedy sales men or worse, give in to a scalper....

In terms of just stock levels, back in January when I was signed up to the discord channels, I seen maybe 5/10+ 3080s pop up every day or 2 where as with amd, it was maybe 2/3 alerts every 2 days, if that.... Probably a different story now but given that AMD have said most of their hardware/resources are going to sony/microsoft to fulfil console orders (which are also severely limited in stock), I wouldn't be surprised if the stock alerts for amd are still pitiful.

When I started looking for one I joined telegram and discord group and got one with a week or so as I recall. There has been many opportunities to do the same since. If you are waiting for it to become in stock for more than a few minutes at a time then you will be waiting for a very long time.

I even helped a few here get one the same way. So it is not has hard as some make out if you do it right ;)

There wouldn't be this discussion if it was a bullet proof process, we would all have the cards we want.

It's probably going to get even worse, imagine Nv and AMD are monitoring the prices being paid and set the bar accordingly with the next gen of cards.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom