• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820k where's it stand today?

Associate
The k series is a unlocked CPU. Your supposed to overclock it. There not keeping anything from the customer.

Not sure if they did a 5820(non k) but they have with lots of other models. You pay extra for the k version

Yes, I understand they are overclocking friendly (I'm taking advantage of that!). It just seems to me that the base/boost clocks are oddly low unless, as another commented above, there really were some samples of these chips that only managed a small overclock of say 100MHz or 200MHz.. Maybe, due to lack of competition from AMD at the time (Piledriver FX!), they could get away with this and effectively build a satisfied user base that were all happy with their easy high % overclocks..

Associate
I had 5820k capable of 4.5 24/7 and max 4.7
i swaped it for 8700k just because i had a pretty good deal.. and its a really good overclocker
this was with 1080ti

i've done a couple of tests on both .. draw your own conclusions :D

RoPrMwj.png

Playing those games? I'd say the upgrade wasn't perhaps absolutely necessary from the scores posted. But if doing lots of productivity (Cinebench scores!) and got a good deal then I can certainly see the attraction..

Associate
upgrade wasn't necessary but it didn't cost me nothing...
less heat plus 8700k is capable of 5.4 ... that is what made me switch.. :D
any one .. testin 10850k now :D

Soldato
Yes, I understand they are overclocking friendly (I'm taking advantage of that!). It just seems to me that the base/boost clocks are oddly low unless, as another commented above, there really were some samples of these chips that only managed a small overclock of say 100MHz or 200MHz.. Maybe, due to lack of competition from AMD at the time (Piledriver FX!), they could get away with this and effectively build a satisfied user base that were all happy with their easy high % overclocks..

If your only getting 100-200mhz more then you either can't cool it properly or don't know how to overclock (which is mega easy with a guide)

Soldato
OP
Finally settled on an overclock (boost not constant) of 4.1GHz with a 'Snowman' air cooler, Vcore increased slightly by +0.1V (1.15V at 4.1GHz). Then Uncore clock up to x35.

Oddly DDR4 RAM wouldn't do >2133MHz with CPU above 3.9GHz for some reason. At 3.9GHz, was perfectly happy at 2400MHz..

All this got me thinking a bit: Given the 5820k boost clock was originally 3.6GHz, that's quite a decent amount of easily attained performance Intel were keeping from many consumers (until and unless they start fiddling with settings). Why on earth did they market and sell them at only 3.3/3.6GHz - turning the question around, I wonder if there were *any* 5820ks that couldn't get to 4GHz with air cooling?

Mine does 4.2 on air using a NH-D15 currently run 4.4 on much lower volts using 960mm of rads.

Still contemplating moving to a 10850k

Soldato
Pretty much all 5820ks would do a zero effort overclock to 4ghz without touching anything else and just using alright air cooler. Plenty more to be had if you put in the effort.

Soldato
Mine has been at 4.2 stable since I bought it. Never bothered upping the voltage much to find it's limit.

Was looking at an upgrade, then paid some attention to my stats, and realized I'm still GPU bound in most things on a 2070....so it's good for a while.

Caporegime
most would do close to 4ghz. good ones doing 4.4+

4.4 .5 you sorta stock 8700k sorta speed more than enough for modern gaming with a decent card for a few years yet.

Man of Honour
Most of the Intel CPUs in that kind of line around that era would overclock well. Sadly many of the Xeon variants are multiplier locked as they are mostly very good quality silicon with solid memory controllers and fair bit lower voltage than the equivalent consumer part.

Man of Honour
Part of my now wants to upgrade cos I managed to get an Rtx 3070. Gonna test it tomorrow night. Chances are it's fine though.

My 1650 V2 (one generation back from the 5820K) is only minimally CPU limited often not at all at 4.4GHz upwards at higher resolutions - you only really start to see the difference at 1080P or below.

There is a couple of places in the busier parts of CP2077 where I can see I'm about about 20% CPU limited - but I think it wants more cores in those parts rather than more single core performance anyhow as overclocking in those areas makes little difference, the rendering thread(s) utilisation also drops and disabling a couple of cores see things really slow down.

Soldato
My 1650 V2 (one generation back from the 5820K) is only minimally CPU limited often not at all at 4.4GHz upwards at higher resolutions - you only really start to see the difference at 1080P or below.

There is a couple of places in the busier parts of CP2077 where I can see I'm about about 20% CPU limited - but I think it wants more cores in those parts rather than more single core performance anyhow as overclocking in those areas makes little difference, the rendering thread(s) utilisation also drops and disabling a couple of cores see things really slow down.
Just crank up the eye candy. Pretty easy to get GPU bound even with a 3090 at 1440P and up. Minimums may be a bit of an issue though.

Ill look forward to giving it a test. The minimums have been noted in benchmarks before but my gsync monitor has meant ive never really noticed anything. Ill be at 1440p or occasionally trying it on 4k tv.

My cpu can clock to 4.5 but 4.3-4 was where it seemed most comfortable. Its under water.

Back
Top Bottom