Road Cycling

Soldato
This is for my mountain bike but thought I'd ask in here anyway.

I put a new chain on at the end of last year but when it's in the smallest rear cog the derailleur is way too high but in the smallest cog it seems fine. I'ts a 10-speed chain to match the gears but in the smallest cog it looks like the chain is too long. Gears shift ok but need re-indexing.

Any ideas how I can sort it?

Soldato
Shouldn't cross chain like that but looks like you need to remove a couple of links. Did you make the new chain the same number of links as the old one or just slap it on out of the box?

Soldato
Not been used to MTB gearing for ages, but first observation would be you shouldn't be cross chaining like that anyway (smallest gears at both ends), especially if you have a triple up front.

Does it seem ok if you use the 'proper' gears?

Soldato
Shouldn't cross chain like that but looks like you need to remove a couple of links. Did you make the new chain the same number of links as the old one or just slap it on out of the box?

Slapped it on - I'll have a look at the older one.

Not been used to MTB gearing for ages, but first observation would be you shouldn't be cross chaining like that anyway (smallest gears at both ends), especially if you have a triple up front.

Does it seem ok if you use the 'proper' gears?

Gears work but are a bit clunky/noisy

Soldato
Yeah it's going to be too long then, chains always come with too many links to allow you to adjust to your relevant frame with different distances between the cranks and cassette. Looks like it needs 4 links taken out, easiest way would just be to take 2 off and then another 2 if they're required.

Soldato
Usually looking for a 2 finger vertical gap when in small and small on that setup.

Those SRAM mechs are the devil and you end up setting them up with the chain basically just clearing itself. So as long as possible with tension on the cage part with wheels.

Soldato
:p

Speaking of Rapha.... and EF!
The whole late kit release and "compliant" BS really annoyed me.

Pritchard done a Youtube video the other week with a pro female saying her piece on it and it was like music to my ears! She saw right through it and calls them to task on it. Total marketing crud and EVERYONE falls for their nonsense.

EDIT - 9:45 onwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_J_eect0A

I’m pretty sure the only people that didn’t realise it was a publicity stunt still believe in Santa Claus.

Or wear sleeveless tops.

Still a quality kit though.

Soldato
Legend. That actually looks pretty neat. I'm well tempted... can get it in the LBS (Sigma Sports) too. The other is arriving tomorrow but it's Amazon and a warehouse deal. Probably just return unless it looks great on inspection.

Any idea for suitable bags? To hold a laptop and some clothing but might use for bikepacking in future too. I think for the moment I'll just strap a rucksack to it but would be cool to have a good solution.

Setup and tested this weekend.

Seems pretty good. I think I somewhat preferred the Blackburn's QR mounting (integrated into the rack instead of additional metal mounts) but the Bontrager wins for being slimmer overall (Blackburn very wide) and the brake bridge mount looking much sleeker. Practically it takes less time to fit too.

0PDpd2n.jpg

Yes.. my suitable bag solution is a motorcycle tail pack until I sort some panniers and tail pack. Quite like the idea of this Lomo: http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html#SID=115

Soldato
Cor, what a day yesterday. Absolutely heaving on the roads. Almost summer bike weather now, all main roads clean, but side roads are still disgusting. Did the ride I'd planned, so 10 ascents of the local hill, only 300 ft or so per climb but generally short sharp climbs all added up. Glad to roll home. The boardman adv is absolutely perfect for that sort of ride on ropey roads, popped on my hunt road wheels but it copes with not great road surfaces amazingly. could hear my mate behind me at points popping over road joints and my bike wasn't making a noise.

Out on it today with the off road wheels popped on, 5 mins and it becomes a completely different animal.

https://strava.app.link/FcP2vcjReeb

Soldato
Did my first solo metric century yesterday -

It was a new route, slightly random using Strava's route planning and had more main roads than I would usually use, but wasn't bad. Obviously lovely weather and I went on my summer bike. Gear was a little tricky as it was 1°C when I set out and about 12°C near the end.

Almost glad it looks a little misty out this morning as I'd been thinking I didn't want to waste another sunny day, sat inside recovering, but I think I'll do a shorter indoor ride instead.

Soldato
Is that pavement at the end shared use?

I'd just go up the right hand side and stop before the last van to avoid passing the solid white line (technically a red light contravention). This is just some of the behaviour that irks car drivers.

Soldato
Yeah, fair point. If going straight ahead I don't often go to their right (although I do at 3:28 and get back over to the left just fine) as it usually causes more issues getting back to the left. On the left I often sit behind the last car (especially if they're indicating to turn left) but, legalities aside, sometimes feel safer to get a little space out front.

Soldato
Ouch! Rest of bike and self ok?

Reminds me I need a new spare hanger. Usually takes a little while to come as they order from Cube in Germany I think.

Soldato
Ouch, hope you're alright, I headed out early and it was cold but nowhere near cold enough for ice luckily, warmed up once the sun burned through. one of those annoying dry chain squeaking days as the lube i put on it had obviously dried out!

Soldato
Ouch! Rest of bike and self ok?

Reminds me I need a new spare hanger. Usually takes a little while to come as they order from Cube in Germany I think.

Yates-esque face plant which put a hole in my chin, and lots of road rash on my hip. Wrote my bib tights off but was due for a new pair so not the end of the world.

Just annoying as roads were totally clear yesterday and the weather is cracking today.

Back
Top Bottom