What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a new good horror movie to watch or crime series? or just something good to watch?

I've watched everything on top 100 on PB and pretty much all the latest stuff on Netflix (including the hotel one)

preferably available on /Netflix/Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Forgot how much I enjoy these films. 4 should be interesting.
I watched these recently. 2nd was watchable in its own right but I was really surprised how poor the 3rd one was.... there was barely any ‘matrix’ in it and what was there was dull as dishwater. Knowing the outcome, it’s really tedious!

Matrix - 10/10

Reloaded - 6.5/10 (watchable nonsense)

Revolutions - 3.5/10 (surprisingly boring - I actually remember feeling bored in the cinema)

Morpheus as a character is particularly annoying in the sequels.

Man of Honour
I’ve also been going through the Star Trek films... the original ones. They really aren’t very good are they :o

Star Trek the motion picture - 7/10

Everyone says this is slow and boring / not much happens - for me it’s the only one where the threat feels genuine and menacing. There is an actual sense of ‘unknown’. Even knowing the outcome I quite enjoyed it, although I concede some of the sections without dialogue really were padded out. Also, wtf with that random transporter accident, dang!!! Finally, it has the next gen theme! So that’s where it came from :)

2; wrath of Khan. 6/10

I think Family Guy popularised the whole Khaaaaaaan thing. I mean, it’s ok but nothing particularly remarkable about it. Some light ‘naval battle tactics’ which are enjoyable. Sadly the introduction of the monumentally boring ‘Genesis’ plot that trudges over into the next two films.

3: The Search for Spock 4/10

I found this really boring and just... sort of happening. I was willing it to be over. Notable for an amusing moment where Uhura puts a man in a cupboard. Poor Kirk though :(

4: The journey home 5/10

The one with the whales. That rating assumes a fondness for the characters, otherwise it would be unbearable with its ultra cliched ‘people from the future try to blend in’ nonsense and awful cheesiness.

5: the final frontier 7/10

This is simultaneously the best and worst of them all. It has unbelievably goofy at moments, to the point where I just can’t believe they thought those bits were good ideas. Particularly the rocket boots bit near the start which is both a 10/10 and a 0/10 :o :D other funny bits like the campfire scene are genuinely amusing / bemusing. It did have an intriguing plot and a couple of weirdly, completely off colour ‘dark’ moments (particularly the scene with Bone’s dad - brutal!!). Probably a marmite film, I imagine many people despise it!

Rocket boots below :o :D

Soldato
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion. After a couple of people on her said it was good I thought I’d give it a go. Kim Da-Mi was excellent in the main role and it just goes to show it’s always worth watching foreign films/TV with subtitles as dubbed wouldn’t have done her acting justice. It was excellent and I do hope they make the 2nd and 3rd films.
I'm glad I saw this post. I've never heard of the film even though I do Google Korean films from time to time as they make great films. This one did not disappoint and really hope they make the sequels.

Soldato
"Monster Hunter" on Amazon Prime. Not the Milla effort but a very understated, creepy and effective "is it a monster?" movie. 90 minutes long and with a genuinely foreboding build up. Kind of reminded me of 'Jaws' (high praise indeed) in that lots is hinted at but little is shown. The sequence with the footprints is done really well.
I'm not going to give it a score (totally pointless IMHO) but I'd recommend it and it's got a free chills and freaky moments.

Soldato
"Monster Hunter" on Amazon Prime. Not the Milla effort but a very understated, creepy and effective "is it a monster?" movie. 90 minutes long and with a genuinely foreboding build up. Kind of reminded me of 'Jaws' (high praise indeed) in that lots is hinted at but little is shown. The sequence with the footprints is done really well.
I'm not going to give it a score (totally pointless IMHO) but I'd recommend it and it's got a free chills and freaky moments.
I can't find this. Does it have an alternative name?

Soldato

No.

He's not talking about that one though I assume? He said not the Milla effort.

This one I assume https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Hunter-Kevin-Durand/dp/B07QQNBRX3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1
Yep, it didn't appear for me. And yeah, turns out it's because it does have a different title where I live - "Dark Was the Night". And I had seen it already :o

Caporegime
Midnight Sky - 2/5

A random disaster that never gets explained makes Earth inhabitable, a few boring people on their way home in a spaceship make contact with a guy with a beard and discover the Earth's inhabitable so turn around again.

Soldato
Apocalypse now. 8/10

Finally got to see this movie. Very long at 3 hours. Good movie, though not one I'd sit through again. Not sure Martin Sheen was the best person for the lead part, someone like DeNiro or Walkern would have been better imo.

Soldato
No.
Yep, it didn't appear for me. And yeah, turns out it's because it does have a different title where I live - "Dark Was the Night". And I had seen it already :o
Hmmm, didn't know that. I've been putting it off since I first saw it thinking it was an Asylum mock-buster of Milla's one but I was wrong. Glad I took the chance on the trailer.

Caporegime
Dracula Untold

I was expecting this to be trash, fun trash, but trash. It's actually not all that bad - weird end sequence that undermines the rest of the film aside - telling a solid origin story for Dracula with a plot that is both sympathetic and tragic. The effects are good, with some really stylish sequences, and the characters and performances are better than a movie like this really deserves. I don't recommend going out of your way for it but if you like fantasy with a dark twist, it's a decent watch.

Not high art, but watchable 7/10.

Caporegime
Tenet

I enjoyed it, and followed the concept for the most part, but that sound mixing, god damn, must have missed like 20% of all dialogue in the film!

6/10

Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar

Bizarre mish-mash of comedy types, Austin Powers meets Dumb & Dumber meets Crazy Ex Girlfriend meets Naked Gun.

A decent amount of chuckles, and a few big lols.

6/10

Back
Top Bottom