Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Mika Salo says this about Ferrari

“They suffered from Ferrari’s cheat last year because they had Ferrari motors and could use less gas, so I think Alfa would be pretty good this year when they get their full power.”

“So Ferrari’s getting out a new engine, right?”

“I dunno if it’s a new engine but they’re allowed to use it to its full power. Having to use less gas was their punishment for their cheating last year” claims Salo.

https://thejudge13.com/2021/02/23/ferrari-punished-by-fia-2020-restrictions-now-lifted-wins-back-on/

Soldato
Is that 'less gas' than the rest of the field, or 'less gas' than the cheaty mccheatface 2019 Ferrari?

I suspect it's the latter, and this is just the introduction/tweaking of the engine to fit the rules better rather than one designed for using more fuel... It'll be interesting to see how much they claw back, and where Mercedes is, they made a step forward on the engine last year it seems, have the rest caught up again and/or have Merc made even more improvements. What's the Honda like for the last year as well...

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Honda have brought forward their development plans for 22 and claim to have made great progress but I have zero hope that Merc aren't just out there on their own as usual but I'll be tuning in with my fingers crossed.

Man of Honour
Honda have brought forward their development plans for 22 and claim to have made great progress but I have zero hope that Merc aren't just out there on their own as usual but I'll be tuning in with my fingers crossed.

Considering once again Mercedes started development of this car ages ago, its hard to imagine them not in front. Red Bull always catch up at the end of the season - because Mercedes have it in the bag and look to the following year. It's a difficult cycle to break.

Soldato
Ferrari committed to LE Mans from 2023 in the top class! That's going to be a good year if everyone delivers a car. Will be a proper more than 2 way battle for the win for the first time in a very long time.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Sad news.

1983 World Rally champion Hannu Mikkola, the Finnish rallying legend best known for scoring multiple wins for Ford and Audi, passed away on Friday night at the age of 78.

Despite retiring in the early 1990s, Mikkola's 18 World Rally Championship victories keeps him in the Top 10 most successful rally drivers in history.

Soldato
The accident is much more scary than the scarce footage initially showed. It was somewhere between to Webber's Valencia crash and Krosnoff's sickening Toronto crash. The car touched the catchfence (thankfully glanced off it rather than getting caught up in it).

It seems the only footage captured was from CCTV cameras:

According to (Mahindra boss) Dilbagh Gill:

The car is a 100% write-off. The tub is smashed, the roll hoop is damaged and the halo is dented and scratched deeply.
Source: The Race | Full Details of Lynn's Huge Diriyah Formula E Crash Revealed

:eek:

Well done to Mitch Evans for stopping and running to Lynn's aid.

Caporegime
The accident is much more scary than the scarce footage initially showed. It was somewhere between to Webber's Valencia crash and Krosnoff's sickening Toronto crash. The car touched the catchfence (thankfully glanced off it rather than getting caught up in it).

It seems the only footage captured was from CCTV cameras

Nasty looking accident, but this strikes me as exactly the kind of accidents that cars are built to safely withstand and, of course, Formula E cars are travelling significantly slower than in F1. Either way, I'm glad Lynn is fine.

Well done to Mitch Evans for stopping and running to Lynn's aid.

Yup, credit to Evans.

And, on a completely different note: Formula E badly needs to revisit their rules on using Attack Mode. Completely unjust to punish JEV (and others) for not using Attack Mode when the racing got stopped before the end and he lost his chance to use it.

Soldato
Nasty looking accident, but this strikes me as exactly the kind of accidents that cars are built to safely withstand and, of course, Formula E cars are travelling significantly slower than in F1. Either way, I'm glad Lynn is fine.
Indeed, but we know fine well how serious an accident can be should the catch fencing retain the car.

Given how bad the damage is at the back of the car it was clearly a high speed (by any measure) impact with the barriers.

Soldato
With their car being based on the 2020 car with limited development it was always going to be slow, so kinda makes sense. No point polishing a turd that has no future when they could devote all the time/money on *maybe* getting off the back row in 2021...

Back
Top Bottom