Transfer files - Windows 10 to Windows 98 SE machine

Soldato
What is the fastest way to transfer files from my Windows 10 machine to Windows 98 SE? At the moment i've been using a USB stick which to my surprise works fine in Windows 98 SE and is identified as being 64GB FAT32 format.

It does take some time to trasnsfer as its USB 1 but works fine

Would a quicker way to be connect RJ45 from one machine to the other and setup both machines on the same workgroup and use file sharing? The Windows 10 machine is fully up to date with Windows updates and protection updates but the Win 98 SE machine has nothing and has never been connected to the internet. I want to leave it this way.

If I connected it directly to my machine with RJ45, could it potentially get infected even though the Wifi connnection is on my Win 10 machine?

The other route is doing something internal, like a SATA to EIDE device but would ideally like to not go for this option yet

Caporegime
Your best option is probably an IDE to SD adapter - this ensures it's fully off the network and you don't have to resort to using things like FTP to transfer files.

Depending on what your Windows 98 usage is for, the best way to run it is as a VM on modern hardware, which then opens up a lot more options for getting files into the guest OS and at a much greater speed than a computer from 1998 can manage.

Soldato
OP
Probably some lessons to be learned from this

https://youtu.be/K5_JFrEHmTk?t=261
Thanks. Damn, that AWE 64 gold probably cost more than my entire machine!

What is the speed of the NIC in the 98 box? Can you get a USB 2 or USB 3 card with drivers for Windows 98 SE?

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=56668 may help.

NIC is Realtek RTL8139D 10/100M Fast Ethernet Network Interface Card.

I've looked and this seems like the ideal thing and is cheap enough. Thanks, ordered

Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card 4 Int / 1 Ext Ports
• Windows® 7/8/10 All, Vista All, 98 SE, Me, 2000, OS, or XP with USB 2.0 support.
£4.99

edit, thanks for the guide. I've downloaded 'nusb36e.exe' in prep for the card arriving

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Would an easier (free) and more preferable setup not have been to have the 98 machine on a segmented subnet using the old NIC? 100mbit isnt a bad transfer rate?

Soldato
depending how much data it is id just take out the drive the 98 machine runs in and slap it into a usb3 caddy or direct to the win10 pc and copy over everything you need.

Soldato
OP
£5 USB arrived and ive justinstalled it. Copy speed for 700MB file is down from 12:30 > 1:17 so really happy with that.
Not quite my Samsung T7 and NVME Samsung 980 pro speeds but still, certainly fast enough for Windows 98 SE use

Back
Top Bottom